USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
May 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #1,382 of 1,712

Quote:
Yes, great little devices, I agree!.......

Sorry to hear it's not user-friendly, slim? Are you using a LiFePO4 battery charger? This can stay plugged in permanently & when the unit is turned off , the batteries are recharged & charger should turn off when full. No need to remember to charge battery. 

Is this the recommended charger? 
http://www.e-bikekit.com/shop/index.php?p=product&id=34&parent=0&cvsfa=2054&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=45424b2d4c50332e3541

Edit to ask if  you could you please point me toward one.

May 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #1,383 of 1,712

Quote:

Is this the recommended charger? 
http://www.e-bikekit.com/shop/index.php?p=product&id=34&parent=0&cvsfa=2054&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=45424b2d4c50332e3541

Edit to ask if  you could you please point me toward one.

[size=small]The top two LiFePO4 chargers on this site will work but read the caveat below[/size]
[size=small] http://www.batteryspace.com/smartchargerforlifepo4batterypacks.aspx[/size]

[size=small]If your batteries are allowed to deeply discharge it's possible these charges won't recharge them. This would only happen if the Hiface was left turned on for 24 hours or longer.[/size]

May 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #1,384 of 1,712

Quote:

[size=small]The top two LiFePO4 chargers on this site will work but read the caveat below[/size]
[size=small] http://www.batteryspace.com/smartchargerforlifepo4batterypacks.aspx[/size]

[size=small]If your batteries are allowed to deeply discharge it's possible these charges won't recharge them. This would only happen if the Hiface was left turned on for 24 hours or longer.[/size]

those look to be almost $100 each, what about this one:  http://www.batteryspace.com/Smart-Charger-0.7-A-for-6.4V-2-cells-LiFePO4-Battery-Pack-100-240VAC.aspx  for around $24?

May 24, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #1,386 of 1,712

Quote:

So can you please tell us which charger is best suitable for your mod?
I'm looking for something that will recharge the batteries even after the hiface has been turned on for more than 24hours.

May 24, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #1,387 of 1,712

Quote:
Yes, great little devices, I agree!

The 'extreme' mod of the Hiface I have tried
- Can't do galvanic isolation 'yet' with existing devices like the ADUM
- I have changed clocks for better, lower jitter ones - not much difference in sound
- I have sent the local DAC clock back to the Hiface in place of one of the existing clocks - yes improvements when using I2S, haven't tried this with SPDIF yet. Some more work to do here though.

Sorry to hear it's not user-friendly, slim? Are you using a LiFePO4 battery charger? This can stay plugged in permanently & when the unit is turned off , the batteries are recharged & charger should turn off when full. No need to remember to charge battery. 

PS. yes we did have a spat earlier in this thread, didn't we? :)

Hi jkeny,

Interesting that better clocks didn't provide a big upgrade in performance like it does with some other devices. It might be that the direct feed from the battery makes the "quality" of the clock less important? Just a guess ...

Concerning the charger, I am currently using a universal charger. So I have to remember to unplug it after while to avoid overcharging the batteries. I wouldn't call user-unfriendly but it is not the kind of devices that you just put in your system and forget about it. However, given that it doesn't take more than a few seconds every day, the sonic benefits are worth the hassle in my personal experience. Anyway, I have just to find the right LiFePO4 battery charger for France and it should do the trick for me.

As for the special usb cable you sent me (which requires an external power supply), it seems to work correctly but I haven't done any critical listening yet. For now, I have only SMPS 5V power supplies to try it with. As they probably won't do justice to the concept, I have probably to borrow a 5V linear to test with ...

ps: I am glad we got past that :)

May 24, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #1,388 of 1,712
JKeny,  Did you try the Tent Labs XO's ?

Slima,    I think I have an extra budget linear 5V PS I could send you,  but a few people have made the AMB PS and also Shunt supplies in +5V for their Slimdevices ethernet transport which would be better.

Quote:
Hi jkeny,

Interesting that better clocks didn't provide a big upgrade in performance like it does with some other devices. It might be that the direct feed from the battery makes the "quality" of the clock less important? Just a guess ...

As for the special usb cable you sent me (which requires an external power supply), it seems to work correctly but I haven't done any critical listening yet. For now, I have only SMPS 5V power supplies to try it with. As they probably won't do justice to the concept, I have probably to borrow a 5V linear to test with ...

May 24, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #1,389 of 1,712
I don't know what I'm talking about so sorry if this is a stupid idea :p but is 5v lithium ion battery a possible alternative to a psu?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-DC-12V-3800mAh-5V-5800mAh-Lithium-ion-Battery-/220578784104?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335b852368

May 24, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #1,390 of 1,712

Quote:

those look to be almost $100 each, what about this one:  http://www.batteryspace.com/Smart-Charger-0.7-A-for-6.4V-2-cells-LiFePO4-Battery-Pack-100-240VAC.aspx  for around $24?

The batteryspace people will ship vis US postal service (after persuasion from me - the things I do for you guys :)) so it should be a lot cheaper than $100

Wrong voltage on the charger you posted - these batteries are charged in parallel i.e 3.2V 

Quote:
I don't know what I'm talking about so sorry if this is a stupid idea :p but is 5v lithium ion battery a possible alternative to a psu?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-DC-12V-3800mAh-5V-5800mAh-Lithium-ion-Battery-/220578784104?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335b852368

That's what I would do!

May 24, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #1,391 of 1,712

Quote:

So can you please tell us which charger is best suitable for your mod?
I'm looking for something that will recharge the batteries even after the hiface has been turned on for more than 24hours.

You don't want to leave it on for this long - it will deeply discharge the batteries & this is not recommended for them. Having said that I know some people who have done this a number of times with their batteries & there is no signs of any detrimental effect - maybe the batteries will only last 10 years instead of 15 years :). At these low currents it probably is insignificant for the battery but this is the advice for them in normal usage (high current draw). If you ever do deeply discharge them & the charger doesn't recognise them, then I would advise just putting an ordinary 3V charger on them to bring them back up to 3.3V. I used as a discarded mobile phone charger for a long time being the DIY cheapskate that I am :) 

May 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #1,392 of 1,712

Quote:
Hi jkeny,

Here's my take - the clock upgrades that result in an improvement (not all do) is 95% (possibly more) because of better PS handling or supply. This is the first hurdle to be overcome. There are so many other areas that introduce jitter that I wonder how important low jitter clocks are in most of our digital equipment i.e. is the low jitter of the clock simply swamped by the added jitter of the rest of the system?  

Concerning the charger, I am currently using a universal charger. So I have to remember to unplug it after while to avoid overcharging the batteries. I wouldn't call user-unfriendly but it is not the kind of devices that you just put in your system and forget about it. However, given that it doesn't take more than a few seconds every day, the sonic benefits are worth the hassle in my personal experience. Anyway, I have just to find the right LiFePO4 battery charger for France and it should do the trick for me.  
Yes it should be a plug & forget system!  
Batteries are good too, as I mentioned to you  

Yes, we are both mature enough to realise that internet communication is a poor medium & the tone of a post can often be misinterpreted, etc.

May 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #1,393 of 1,712

Quote:
You don't want to leave it on for this long - it will deeply discharge the batteries & this is not recommended for them. Having said that I know some people who have done this a number of times with their batteries & there is no signs of any detrimental effect - maybe the batteries will only last 10 years instead of 15 years :). At these low currents it probably is insignificant for the battery but this is the advice for them in normal usage (high current draw). If you ever do deeply discharge them & the charger doesn't recognise them, then I would advise just putting an ordinary 3V mobile phone charger on them to bring them back up to 3.3V. This is what I used as a charger for a long time anyway.

Alright!
I guess everynight before going to bed I would turn the switch of the mod on to avoid this problem.
My next next step is to find the cheapest charger possible that has the cheapest shipping rate to Canada.

May 24, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #1,395 of 1,712

Quote:
Alright!
I guess everynight before going to bed I would turn the switch of the mod on to avoid this problem.
My next next step is to find the cheapest charger possible that has the cheapest shipping rate to Canada.

No you got it wrong - you don't have to remember anything other than when you are finished playing music through the Hiface turn it off - this is normal practise & nothing extraordinary. However, if you are someone who leaves your devices turned on permanently ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back