USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Dec 27, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #106 of 573
Colour97,
From the layout on post 46, I understood this differently. That is, the USB card is first in the chain if you like, fed over the ethernet to the PC, then played over USB/coaxial to the DAC. Your layout has the media player ( PC) the wrong side of the USB key I think.

I am new to this so may be completely wrong.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #108 of 573
Colour97,
From the layout on post 46, I understood this differently. That is, the USB card is first in the chain if you like, fed over the ethernet to the PC, then played over USB/coaxial to the DAC. Your layout has the media player ( PC) the wrong side of the USB key I think.

I am new to this so may be completely wrong.

No USB card needed - just USB straight from the PC USB port.  I'd recommend some type of split USB cable as in my setup (data and power legs separate).  And feeding the LEX with an external LPS (as I have shown).

Here are a few high quality split USB cables:

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=46
http://lhlabs.com/products/lightspeed-cables/

As a cheaper alternative - the TeraDak X1/X2 comes with a USB power split off cable:

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #109 of 573
RB2013:

I've been following your threads since the locked F-1 thread. I've tried the F-1, but found the Pro3z better in every way for my setup. I have a few LPS's, so I have done some thorough testing in that regard. The Pro3z is a real gem for me, and I never would have found or tried it without your enthusiasm for these new chipsets. Thanks for that.

I am intested in trying the Lex/Rex setup, but I wanted to make a statement. If there is anything I have found absolutely critical, it's Windows Server 2012 R2, in Core mode, running AudiophileOptimizer, with JPLAY Streamer in hybernate mode. Nothing else comes close for me. Other Windows OS's sound fuzzy and smeared, and I cant find any love for Fidelizer either. Also critical for me is good LPS's on a quality USB output card (for me a Paul Pang V2), the OS SSD, and even running the PC. All that said, I cant help but wonder how what I have compares to what you run. I struggle with the idea of starting with anything less than what I run as a front end to the USB output. Ive been working on all of this for years, and far too many hours of testing and changes.

I think the idea of music storage as you are now doing it is intriguing. These are great threads!

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #110 of 573
Sorry, I meant to say USB stick not card.

But I am confused. Please advise. USB from the PC USB port to the lex - LAN - Rex..... But is the PC not reading the files from the USB stick, receiving them over the LAN set-up, processing them with a media player and then sending them on? I expect the answer is no:)

Would like to feed my Amanero card with a clean supply internally (homemade Najda dsp unit). May not need the y cables, though this source looks promising in the U.K.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180mm-7-AG8-2-Pure-Silver-USB-Interconnect-Power-Data-Input-Independently-/201268922394?hash=item2edc90081a

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #111 of 573
RB2013:

I've been following your threads since the locked F-1 thread. I've tried the F-1, but found the Pro3z better in every way for my setup. I have a few LPS's, so I have done some thorough testing in that regard. The Pro3z is a real gem for me, and I never would have found or tried it without your enthusiasm for these new chipsets. Thanks for that.

I am intested in trying the Lex/Rex setup, but I wanted to make a statement. If there is anything I have found absolutely critical, it's Windows Server 2012 R2, in Core mode, running AudiophileOptimizer, with JPLAY Streamer in hybernate mode. Nothing else comes close for me. Other Windows OS's sound fuzzy and smeared, and I cant find any love for Fidelizer either. Also critical for me is good LPS's on a quality USB output card (for me a Paul Pang V2), the OS SSD, and even running the PC. All that said, I cant help but wonder how what I have compares to what you run. I struggle with the idea of starting with anything less than what I run as a front end to the USB output. Ive been working on all of this for years, and far too many hours of testing and changes.

I think the idea of music storage as you are now doing it is intriguing. These are great threads!

Thanks for the post and kind kudos.  Someone has offered to send their Pro3z to me to try versus the F-1 so that should be interesting.

I also ordered this i2s to SPDIF WM8084 board to 'fix' my friends F-1 - I will power it with a LT3042 LPS.
So that will be interesting as well.

Not that I'm in any hurry to change this amazing sounding chain.  But if someone want so to send me an easy plug and play device - I will try it for the community and post my feedback.

I had the Pro3a and much prefered the F-1.  The key on the F-1 is to 'optimize' it with my custom chain.

So it would be interesting to see how the Pro3z fares with the Recovery, iPur2, Startech, etc...

I had the PPA V2 and it was good - needed an external LPS.  But the Startech is in a whole other realm.  And I sold the PPA as it just was not needed.  I don't think it would do any harm - but if you were to power it with a LPS - that would bring the LPS count to FOUR! 

I totally agree on running the OS on a SSD - the PNY 128GB i bought was $39 (a 256GB is $59) - a total no brainer.

Now on the issue of Win Server 2012 vs Win 10 - I don;t know.  Win server 2012 is not cheap.  And to compare the two is just not worth it for me.

On the question of AO vs Fidel - well I don't know again.  But might be worth exploring down the road.  $129 is not cheap - but it is good for 5 installs so I may give it a whirl after doing some further research.
http://www.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer

I do like this - it seems WIN10 makes the cut:
U
se Windows 10 or Windows Server 2012 R2 as operating system for your high-end audio computer, optimize it with the AudiophileOptimizer and experience analog-like sound as you have never heard it before on a computer based audio system. Learn how to set up your own high-end audio computer by simply following our free

My dedicated music server has all applications uninstalled except the audio player.  It runs no firewall, anti-virus, or other back ground security operations.  It is not connected to the internet  - ever!  All updating services are turned off.

So right there you have an 80% cut in CPU load and background communications.  My CPU is a Haswel iCore 7 3.3 Mhz, 12 GB DDR3 Ram.  So plenty of processing power (this was very handy with DANTE DVS AOIP).

Even so Fidelizer made a significant difference.  And has been total issue free (running 24/7 for weeks without a lock up).  I noticed a big difference in the free Fidelizer and Pro.

On Jplay which I have - I'm somewhat mixed in feelings.  So far I prefer the ASIO: XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 3086 to Jplay running KS.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #112 of 573
Just to throw in my own effort which works on W10: Windows 10 logged off running Lasso Pro in core mode, HYSOLID the media player.

Windows 10 on a mini-pc, no fan, no HDD
http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-z83-4
Lasso Pro currently discounted at £32 (has to be Pro version to use core mode). Does some similar things to AO, Fidelizer. Version 9 may get some audiophile presets (rather than gaming mode).
HYSOLID is free, but very limited in folders browsing. Super fast though.

Refining this further brought me to this thread.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #113 of 573
Just to throw in my own effort which works on W10: Windows 10 logged off running Lasso Pro in core mode, HYSOLID the media player.

Windows 10 on a mini-pc, no fan, no HDD
http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-z83-4
Lasso Pro currently discounted at £32 (has to be Pro version to use core mode). Does some similar things to AO, Fidelizer. Version 9 may get some audiophile presets (rather than gaming mode).
HYSOLID is free, but very limited in folders browsing. Super fast though.

Refining this further brought me to this thread.

Good info - HYSOLID would be out for me - as fast file browsing is important.  But Lasso Pro looks interesting.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #114 of 573
Thank for your quick response. This is very encouraging . 
at the very beginning i wanted to buy rednet. then after reading this thread, i change my mind.

there is no stock in hk for this startech lex/rex, it may take time to purchase it from amazon or ebay. 

i am using linux - voyage mpd and  i want to keep trying linux instead of windows at this new usb chain. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #115 of 573
One thing I like about Fidelizer Pro - each install is cusomtized for your particular PC.  This should decrease incapatibility issues and troubles.

I noted this from the AO page:

Test DAC/DDC/NIC driver compatibility with Windows Server​
before​
you order​

One reason I had not tried either AO or Fidel in the past - is my USB chain is already pretty complex - I did not want resource to be shut off that would create a debugging nightmare.

With Fidelizer Pro's custom configuration I had ore confidence in not having system issues.

They have a 'tool' that collects PC configuration info that you send to them - from which they make and send you a custom install.

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

Also Fid Pro has gone through several iterations now - I wonder how much they improved the SQ from past versions?

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #118 of 573
The high end DACs (like MSB) that have bit-perfect test files to verify delivery of music data confirm that its 100% all the time every time with asynchronous USB (barring any severe performance issues or player settings that muck with the bits). So all this effort to get max fidelity USB audio has nothing do to with the data bits.
Since USB only has 4 wires, the 2 lines data are perfect and 1 line ground is planet Earth...So the culprit in all of this is the +5v noise. Analog noise.
It was shocking to me to believe how sensitive DAC chips and timing circuits are to +5V noise that is on the order of millionths of a volt. Almost unmeasurable...That's why DAC designers are incredulous.
You want absolute clarity? From any friggin PC, with any HDD, OS, etc? Insert a Battery based LDO to get the noise under 5uV. Intona does 60uV, LPS does similar. Any 'solution' presented here just plays with this level or adjusts it's noise characteristic.
I have a Musical Paradise MP-U1 in my USB chain. For laptop, for DragonFly. And a 5m ordinary $30 USB2.0 cable.
The bits are perfect and the +5V noise is basically zero. If you can improve on this...Go for it.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #119 of 573
The high end DACs (like MSB) that have bit-perfect test files to verify delivery of music data confirm that its 100% all the time every time with asynchronous USB (barring any severe performance issues or player settings that muck with the bits). So all this effort to get max fidelity USB audio has nothing do to with the data bits.
Since USB only has 4 wires, the 2 lines data are perfect and 1 line ground is planet Earth...So the culprit in all of this is the +5v noise. Analog noise.
It was shocking to me to believe how sensitive DAC chips and timing circuits are to +5V noise that is on the order of millionths of a volt. Almost unmeasurable...That's why DAC designers are incredulous.
You want absolute clarity? From any friggin PC, with any HDD, OS, etc? Insert a Battery based LDO to get the noise under 5uV. Intona does 60uV, LPS does similar. Any 'solution' presented here just plays with this level or adjusts it's noise characteristic.
I have a Musical Paradise MP-U1 in my USB chain. For laptop, for DragonFly. And a 5m ordinary $30 USB2.0 cable.
The bits are perfect and the +5V noise is basically zero. If you can improve on this...Go for it.

There is more to then 'bits are bits'  A $40 DAC and $60 DDC can deliver the bits - but sound pretty mediocre.  Trust  me I've heard a lot of gear and the differences are dramatic.

You have femto clocks susepable to noise on the ground plane and DC, timing issue, USB 'packet noise', etc...

Batteries have there own issues like rise times and current delivery on demand.  And most batteries have higher then 60uv noise.

My TeraDak DC-30W (13uv) with the DC iPur - is well below 1uv.  Not 60.  I do agree the Intona is noisy as well as having crappy SITime CMEMS clocks - with very high phase noise.

But you are wrong about the solution here - it's a radical way to reprocess USB - by TCPIP Ethernet translation...  Nothing like this has exited before

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #120 of 573
Interested in the F1 having cleaner power.As far i know there are no inlet for power in F1 ( original casing)unless you customize it.

Will the iDefender from ifi do the same job? Basically its cutting off the supply from your source's power and injecting new cleaner 5V power if you feed it with better dedicated LPS.
At the same, the idefender cutting off ground loops.
Im interested in the pro3z too, its has built in inlet for power. Might be different clocks between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back