USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Dec 23, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #91 of 573
Robin Trower - 'Bridge of Sighs'  played a couple of weeks ago.  Fantastic album.
Due for a replay over the holidays.
Bad Company-Burning Sky is also on my replay list, as is Jethro Tull in Moscow.

Frank
Listened to JT 'Benefit' last night as well. 'Song For Jeffery' outstanding.

Right now a little pre dinner listening, Chris Issak 'Heart Shaped World'. Smooth vocals, air and space, twangy gitar. A little Bourbon to warm up.

It‘s already shaping up to be a great musical evening.

'Wrong to love you, wrong to love you, like I do...I do, I do, I do...'

Cheers!

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #92 of 573
Interesting! Wish there something like this built like a TV box with lots of USB stick inputs, perhap one day can view high definition 4k too.

Just started to break in my F1 now since gotten them 3 months back, can't use in ios9 but ios10-SWEET:thumbsup:

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #94 of 573
I have been thinking about this as a possible alternative method of getting the SPDIF coax signal from the Singxer F-1:

Use this Wolfson WM8804 i2s to SPDIF converter board - powered by a separate 5VDC ultra low noise LPS.

It is inexpensive and could be built easily.  Just run a i2s cable from the Singxer F-1 i2s output to this boards i2s input.

I have a friend who tried to mod his F-1 - to replace the SPDIF RCA box - so he cut off the RCA socket (not a smart move) and attempted to wire a separate WBT RCA - it didn't work.

But this could salvage his F-1 and maybe just provide a better SQ.

The idea would be to bypass the MornSun (black box at the bottom of the board middle) with a 'clean' 5VDC external LPS.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252233915299?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #95 of 573
I have been thinking about this as a possible alternative method of getting the SPDIF coax signal from the Singxer F-1:

Use this Wolfson WM8804 i2s to SPDIF converter board - powered by a separate 5VDC ultra low noise LPS.

It is inexpensive and could be built easily.  Just run a i2s cable from the Singxer F-1 i2s output to this boards i2s input.

I have a friend who tried to mod his F-1 - to replace the SPDIF RCA box - so he cut off the RCA socket (not a smart move) and attempted to wire a separate WBT RCA - it didn't work.

But this could salvage his F-1 and maybe just provide a better SQ.

The idea would be to bypass the MornSun (black box at the bottom of the board middle) with a 'clean' 5VDC external LPS.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252233915299?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ah ha. Got one myself. Works great. The key is adding a flip flop board after it. Specifically a potato semi. The flip flop will reclock the signal and the potato in particular has very low jitter. Adding the potato after the wm8804 is what took my setup to a level of refinement and inky black analog goodness I had not heard before and called it a day...

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #98 of 573
Hi. im new here and following this setup, since i think this makes the most sense working with small boxes that can be easily replaced in future if needed
wink_face.gif
so far i ordered the singxer F1 which will arrive in 1 month or so from Shenzhen, im already using the StarTech USB2G4LEXT2 boxes, JPlay 6.2, the "old Jcat USB card"....i also own an Rednet D16 device, so far i can say i prefer the startech solution, its not only the sound quality also the design
confused_face.gif
...small black one are looking cool :) and upgradeable which the rednet isnt :frowning2:
For future investment i would like to ask if if anyone has experience with the new Jcat femto card as well as the new W4s PS-1 modular power supply which looks quite promising to me
bigsmile_face.gif

In the meanwhile im playing with the mutec boxes, im quite excited if the singxer will sound "better" ?
normal_smile .gif

(image missing)
thanks eric

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #99 of 573
  Hi. im new here and following this setup, since i think this makes the most sense working with small boxes that can be easily replaced in future if needed
wink_face.gif
so far i ordered the singxer F1 which will arrive in 1 month or so from Shenzhen, im already using the StarTech USB2G4LEXT2 boxes, JPlay 6.2, the "old Jcat USB card"....i also own an Rednet D16 device, so far i can say i prefer the startech solution, its not only the sound quality also the design
confused_face.gif
...small black one are looking cool :) and upgradeable which the rednet isnt :frowning2:
For future investment i would like to ask if if anyone has experience with the new Jcat femto card as well as the new W4s PS-1 modular power supply which looks quite promising to me
bigsmile_face.gif

In the meanwhile im playing with the mutec boxes, im quite excited if the singxer will sound "better" ?
normal_smile .gif

(image missing)
thanks eric

Which USB converter are you using now?

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #100 of 573
Im have both, the Mutec MC-1.2 and the Mutec MC-3+ USB, strange thing is i prefer the cheaper one, maybe im the only one in the world,
bigsmile_face.gif
the MC-1.2, it can be powered over USB bus which the MC-3+ USB cannot, seems like its more or less power supply depending

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #101 of 573
wink_face.gif
confused_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

normal_smile .gif

(image missing)
thanks eric

Hi Eric,

Very cool - your the 1st person besides myself that has compared the Rednet AOIP to the Startech USB/Ethernet solution.  The factor you prefer it as well is evidence I may not be alone in hearing what I'm hearing (and raving about it).

I have directly compared the Mutec MC-3+ USB to the Singxer F-1 and with some additional data and power chain gizmos preferred it (see my oenning page for my detailed subject ratings).  So I think you are in for a pleasant surprise if you power your F-1 with a decent LPS.

Marcel at JCAT has offered to send me a demo USB femto card - and I may take him up on that.  But really can't see how that would improve things - IF - you are powering your LEX with an ext LPS.

I saw the announcement on the W4S PS-1 - but have seen little else about - is there a thread out there?  I would saw the Uptone Super-Cap LPS-1 is a top draw solution as well.

The trouble with these of course is the price of admission.  I have had great results powering the REX with a 24VDC Discrete regulated MIEYAN LPS.

I would highly recommend trying a 256GB USB PNY stick for music storage in one of the empty REX USB slots.

Cheers!

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #102 of 573
  Im have both, the Mutec MC-1.2 and the Mutec MC-3+ USB, strange thing is i prefer the cheaper one, maybe im the only one in the world,
bigsmile_face.gif
the MC-1.2, it can be powered over USB bus which the MC-3+ USB cannot, seems like its more or less power supply depending

That is interesting  - and not totally surprising - since the MC-3+USB has a relatively inexpensive SMPS for power.  The folks on Tri-Na blog have had good success how wiring it with a LPS.

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #103 of 573
Hi Rb2013,

cool, great to hear your reply, thanks,
bigsmile_face.gif
i will try to get the MIEYAN LPS as well, anyway the Singxer F-1 is on the way from China to Austria, so far i think the big game changer are this Startech boxes, really amazing, thanks for this recommendation :) eric...cool to be in this thread,

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back