USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Dec 22, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #61 of 573
One note on my subjective rankings - this is all qualitative based.  So a sea change leap in perceived SQ is given a big 'score' increase.  Minor improvements are allotted minor 'score' changes.  Is the Ultra USB chain 370% better then a Breeze DU-U8?  Well it all depends on how you value sound improvements.  I have a slightly modded Breeze DU-U8 running right now in m y office system - sounds very good.  For background Classical Baroque while I work - it serves it's purpose.

But for serious night time listening - I would say the 370% might be an underestimate.  So fundamental, the SQ change and improvement, and my enjoyment.

So it's all subject folks.

Cheers!

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #62 of 573
To say the truth the AOIP dante solution has killed even my slightest desire to upgrade anything in my system. I don't see how one can loose interest after that especially considering that musicality was the biggest improvement over the F1U.

Maybe on head-fi it's really difficult to stick with something and upgrading/sidegrading or just changing something down the road is sometimes a higher joy than the very music listening per se.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #63 of 573
Interesting - note the on board 12 Mhz crystal ocsillator:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive

1USB Standard-A, "male" plug
2USB mass storage controller device
3Test point
4Flash memory chip
5Crystal oscillator
6LED (Optional)
7Write-protect switch (Optional)
8Space for second flash memory chip

Technology

​

Main articles: Flash memory and USB

Flash memory combines a number of older technologies, with lower cost, lower power consumption and small size made possible by advances in microprocessortechnology. The memory storage was based on earlier EPROM and EEPROMtechnologies. These had limited capacity, were slow for both reading and writing, required complex high-voltage drive circuitry, and could be re-written only after erasing the entire contents of the chip.

Hardware designers later developed EEPROMs with the erasure region broken up into smaller "fields" that could be erased individually without affecting the others. Altering the contents of a particular memory location involved copying the entire field into an off-chip buffer memory, erasing the field, modifying the data as required in the buffer, and re-writing it into the same field. This required considerable computer support, and PC-based EEPROM flash memory systems often carried their own dedicated microprocessor system. Flash drives are more or less a miniaturized version of this.

The development of high-speed serial data interfaces such as USB made semiconductor memory systems with serially accessed storage viable, and the simultaneous development of small, high-speed, low-power microprocessor systems allowed this to be incorporated into extremely compact systems. Serial access requires far fewer electrical connections for the memory chips than does parallel access, which has simplified the manufacture of multi-gigabytedrives.

Essential components

The internal mechanical and electronic parts of a Kingston 2 GB flash drive​

There are typically five parts to a flash drive:

1. Standard-A USB plug – provides a physical interface to the host computer.
  2. USB mass storage controller – a small microcontroller with a small amount of on-chip ROM andRAM.
  3. NAND flash memory chip(s) – stores data (NAND flash is typically also used in digital cameras).
  4. Crystal oscillator – produces the device's main 12 MHz clock signal and controls the device's data output through a phase-locked loop.
  5. Cover – typically made of plastic or metal, protecting the electronics against mechanical stress and even possible short circuits.

File system[edit]

Main article: Flash file system

Most flash drives ship preformatted with the FAT32, or exFAT file systems. The ubiquity of the FAT32 file system allows the drive to be accessed on virtually any host device with USB support. Also, standard FAT maintenance utilities (e.g., ScanDisk) can be used to repair or retrieve corrupted data. However, because a flash drive appears as a USB-connected hard drive to the host system, the drive can bereformatted to any file system supported by the host operating system.

Defragmenting

Flash drives can be defragmented. There is a widespread opinion that defragmenting brings little advantage (as there is no mechanical head that moves from fragment to fragment), and that defragmenting shortens the life of the drive by making many unnecessary writes.[47] However, some sources claim[48] that defragmenting a flash drive can improve performance (mostly due to improved caching of the clustered data), and the additional wear on flash drives may not be significant.

Even distribution

Some file systems are designed to distribute usage over an entire memory device without concentrating usage on any part (e.g., for a directory) to prolong the life of simple flash memory devices. Some USB flash drives have this 'wear leveling' feature built into the software controller to prolong device life, while others do not, so it is not necessarily helpful to install one of these file systems.[49]

Hard disk drive

Sectors are 512 bytes long, for compatibility with hard disk drives, and the first sector can contain a master boot record and a partition table. Therefore, USB flash units can be partitioned just like hard disk drives.

Longevity[edit]

The memory in flash drives is commonly engineered with multi-level cell (MLC) based memory that is good for around 3,000-5,000 program-erase cycles,[50] but some flash drives have single-level cell (SLC) based memory that is good for around 100,000 writes. There is virtually no limit to the number of reads from such flash memory, so a well-worn USB drive may be write-protected to help ensure the life of individual cells.

Estimation of flash memory endurance is a challenging subject that depends on the SLC/MLC/TLC memory type, size of the flash memory chips, and actual usage pattern. As a result, a USB flash drive can last from a few days to several hundred years.[51]

Regardless of the endurance of the memory itself, the USB connector hardware is specified to withstand only around 1,500 insert-removal cycles.[52]

Counterfeit products

Counterfeit USB flash drives are sometimes sold with claims of having higher capacities than they actually have. These are typically low capacity USB drives which are modified so that they emulate larger capacity drives (for example, a 2 GB drive being marketed as a 64 GB drive). When plugged into a computer, they report themselves as being the larger capacity they were sold as, but when data is written to them, either the write fails, the drive freezes up, or it overwrites existing data. Software tools exist to check and detect fake USB drives,[53][54] and in some cases it is possible to repair these devices to remove the false capacity information and use them normally, as the low-capacity drives they are.[55][56

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #64 of 573
To say the truth the AOIP dante solution has killed even my slightest desire to upgrade anything in my system. I don't see how one can loose interest after that especially considering that musicality was the biggest improvement over the F1U.

Maybe on head-fi it's really difficult to stick with something and upgrading/sidegrading or just changing something down the road is sometimes a higher joy than the very music listening per se.

I hear what you are saying - and I take nothing away from AOIP.  I will say this is no 'sidegrading' - in fact I have to say it's a sea change upgrade.  One of the greatest in my 30 yrs of audio.

I'm completely satisfied here - I've got my 'game over' solution.  But as I said I'm not recommending anyone else duplicate this - or follow this path.  If AOIP is doing it for you - awesome you have found your 'game over' solution.  I just have to honestly write about this and what I'm experiencing.  To not share this would be a travesty.  But it's just my journey.

Last night digging through my back collection - I went to another old standby - one I know so well from my vinyl days.  Fleetwood Mac the 1975 self-titled album.  How many times I have I heard this - countless.

And again last night is was a revelation - it sounded different - better in so many ways.
Most notable the richer tonal presentation, but with detail, not woolly or eurphonic - and the instrument separation.  Bass depth on 'I'm So Afraid' was stupendous!  I could hear the tympani like strikes of Mick's power drumming.  Hearing the drum stick strike and resonate the drum skin.  Conveying the tactical impression of a real drum.

On 'Landside' the warm smooth melodic guitar so holographically presented - the emotion in Nicks' vocals.  Again nuanced, delicate, subtle inflections.  The overlayed second acoustic guitar harmonies, and Buckingham's graceful brief electrical interludes.  Oh Man!   This is what I came to hear.  Beautiful production.  No wonder this was such a super album. 

Finally after 30+yrs of hearing this, I have a new appreciation of the recording genius that went into making this album.  I have seen them live, I have all their live DVD's - they're fun - but none hold a candle to the way this was recorded and produced.

But then listened to the 'Mystery to Me' album.  Crude in comparison - but still a revelation.  Again this an album I have heard 1000's of times.  You can see the genius beginning to shine through in  'Hypnotized' and 'For Your Love'.  Like I have never heard them before.  And this from Redbook WAV files!  No Hi Res download.

It had me thinking of mathematician Shannon's information theory, the basis for the the Nyquist theory behind Philips and Sony Engineers coming up with the Redbook 16 bit/44.1K std.  There is just so much buried deep in there - tough to get to for sure.  But it's there!  That's another revelation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #67 of 573
 TeraDak X1/X2 LPS (powers LEX by 2G Split USB Cable Power Leg plugged in back)

so cool.....

Just curious if your wife is like my GF: completely unwilling to get anywhere near the audio rack unless it's to sit with you and listen?
biggrin.gif

I regularly get asked, "how do I turn on the TV?"

Awesome that you're using the TeraDak with the LEX. That surprised me, (I remember now you mentioning it before). So, - adding in the USB splitter, TeraDak, LEX & powering the LEX causes no issues? I assume that you've tried NOT powering the LEX and just using the USB power from the PC?

Also surprised by the number of isolation units in place, that's 3, correct? Since you like the iFi units so much, - I am going to have to try plugging 1 into my chain...

Also, - have you thought about maybe trying an EMO EN30 in between at the REX?

Thanks so much for all of the pics, it's so great to get a pictorial representation of the chain....

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #68 of 573
  would note SPDIF coax cables are critical for best results. I tried a few, the Audio Sensibilities Silver Statement 1.5M digital RCA, the Audience au24Se digital RCA 1M, and the Synergistic Research Element Copper 1M digital RCA with the new UEF tuning plugs, and the upgraded Galileo MPC active shield energizer.

Hi,

Excellent and Thank you again RB. So appreciate how you go out of your way to point out what you have done, with your system, & what works best for you, & why it's not necessarily what's right for others. We all have unique paths, and funds are not the only limiting factor. Where I'm going here is that you make a point of stressing what RCA digital COAX cables work best with your system, and your APL. Like me, - it seems like someone would have to pry the APL from your cold, dead, fingers. This means that there's a whole aspect to this chain that will not be utilized by others. I have experienced dramatic disparities in sound by the choice of USB to SPDIF converters, digital cables etc. My Merlins do not like SILVER digital cables coming out of the APL. But using the "right" silver digital COAX cable & right USB to SPDIF converter coming in, doesn't bother the APL. Same with power supplies feeding the end of the digital chain, some power supplies increase low level detail, but they "thin out" midrange "bloom." Many folks may not be running SPDIF at all, and could be using USB direct into their DAC, perhaps running DSD, - something that folks like us, who have Universal players, cannot do.

Cheers,

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #69 of 573
Hi Bob,

I am going to try a variation on your chain.

Currently:
NAS (CAT7) > EMO-70-HD > CAT7 > (LMS) microRendu (USB) > VBUS2 > AQ JB > Audio Breeze DU-U8 (AES) > Mutec3+USB (AES) > Bel Canto 3.5vb

To:
Startech(USB) > NAS (CAT7) > EMO-70-HD > CAT7 > (LMS) microRendu (USB) > VBUS2 > AQ JB > Singxer-F1 (spdif) > Mutec3+USB (AES) > Bel Canto 3.5vb

Depending on how this goes then I'll think about setting up a Windows VM with Fidelizer and have a play.

I'll let you know hoe it goes.

M

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #70 of 573
That's great to hear. I'm happy for you too that you rediscovered your music especially after all the effort and money you put on your journey.

Thanks  I'd call it a re-experiencing of my music rather then a rediscovery.  This has happened a few times over my 30yrs of Audiophildom.

This one ranks near the very top - others were the move to the totl Dynavector XV1-S moving coil cartridge from a very good moving magnet.  Another going from the SS Krells to the ASL Hurricane tube amps.

Cheers!

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #71 of 573

+1

disaster is likely understating things a bit.....

It's all those pushed updates - many updates can create havoc with other applications.

so cool.....

Just curious if your wife is like my GF: completely unwilling to get anywhere near the audio rack unless it's to sit with you and listen?
biggrin.gif

I regularly get asked, "how do I turn on the TV?"

Awesome that you're using the TeraDak with the LEX. That surprised me, (I remember now you mentioning it before). So, - adding in the USB splitter, TeraDak, LEX & powering the LEX causes no issues? I assume that you've tried NOT powering the LEX and just using the USB power from the PC?

Also surprised by the number of isolation units in place, that's 3, correct? Since you like the iFi units so much, - I am going to have to try plugging 1 into my chain...

Also, - have you thought about maybe trying an EMO EN30 in between at the REX?

Thanks so much for all of the pics, it's so great to get a pictorial representation of the chain....

My wife used to be a big music fan - we'd go to concerts all the time.  The last one was Citizen Cope at the Seattle Showbox (great venue!).  Not so much anymore.  So not side by side listening - movies are our thing.

No issues on the LEX - it runs on +5VDC off the USB head.  Yes the PC power was not good.  An interesting alternative would be something like a Paul Pang V2  or V3 or the new JCAT USB card - powering ti externally with a LPS. But that does increase the cost.

I love the iPur2 and DC iPur.  Not a big fan of the iPowers or the new SPDIF reclocker.  I have found isolation really important - and the PB4X4Pro's are only $80 each.  May not need three now - it did make a difference with the Rednet/Mutec/Antelope - all with SMPS.  A LPS will still feed some noise back in the AC mains - but a fraction of a switcher.

No on the EN-30 - but did try a Baaske MI 1005 Medical Ethernet Isolator - not good.  I hear the
ACOUSENCE – GISO GB is the way to go - but very expensive.

Hi,

Excellent and Thank you again RB. So appreciate how you go out of your way to point out what you have done, with your system, & what works best for you, & why it's not necessarily what's right for others. We all have unique paths, and funds are not the only limiting factor. Where I'm going here is that you make a point of stressing what RCA digital COAX cables work best with your system, and your APL. Like me, - it seems like someone would have to pry the APL from your cold, dead, fingers. This means that there's a whole aspect to this chain that will not be utilized by others. I have experienced dramatic disparities in sound by the choice of USB to SPDIF converters, digital cables etc. My Merlins do not like SILVER digital cables coming out of the APL. But using the "right" silver digital COAX cable & right USB to SPDIF converter coming in, doesn't bother the APL. Same with power supplies feeding the end of the digital chain, some power supplies increase low level detail, but they "thin out" midrange "bloom." Many folks may not be running SPDIF at all, and could be using USB direct into their DAC, perhaps running DSD, - something that folks like us, who have Universal players, cannot do.

Cheers,

Thanks for the kind words.  Believe it or not, my main DAC is my modded R2R DAC60 -it better the wonderful APL in everyway.  But especially in tonal richness and clarity.  Hard to beat a well designed PCM1704 with a D-S chip.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/740362/lite-dac60-pcm1704-r2r-tubed-dac-mod-project

But both are SPDIF RCA only - so that is what I go with.  And SPDIF cables DO make a difference - wish it weren't so.  The F-1 does have the option of i2s for those who can use that.  From my past Gustard U12 and XU208 threads most who have DAC's with internal USB - much preferred the better external DDC's.  The Yggie and Gumby come to mind.  Even with the Gen 3 USB board.  There are techincal reasons for this - relating to USB AGC circuits modulating on varying signal integrity - causing noise pollution on the DAC ground plane.  These femto clocks - the basis of digital audio are hyper sensitive to this kind of noise.  I post much on the XU208 thread about this.  For more info read John Swenson's discussion on this:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/qa-john-swenson-part-2-are-bits-just-bits#f889ODJPzfD4sAZA.97

Cheers Mate!

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #72 of 573
  Hi Bob,

I am going to try a variation on your chain.

Currently:
NAS (CAT7) > EMO-70-HD > CAT7 > (LMS) microRendu (USB) > VBUS2 > AQ JB > Audio Breeze DU-U8 (AES) > Mutec3+USB (AES) > Bel Canto 3.5vb

To:
Startech(USB) > NAS (CAT7) > EMO-70-HD > CAT7 > (LMS) microRendu (USB) > VBUS2 > AQ JB > Singxer-F1 (spdif) > Mutec3+USB (AES) > Bel Canto 3.5vb

Depending on how this goes then I'll think about setting up a Windows VM with Fidelizer and have a play.

I'll let you know hoe it goes.

M

That looks interesting.  Be sure to stay with a CAT6 UTP cable in between the REX and LEX on the Startech to preserve GI.

Mutec 3+ USB as SPDIF/AES reclocker - nice!

You can try the JB's and see - I modded mine to block the +5VDC VBUS from leaving the unit.  But that requires clipping the out going USB A female 1 & 4 leads.

Good Luck!

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #74 of 573
Hi Bob,

I use "Daphile" to play music.
It is a linux based very basic OS optimised for playing music.
With it you can "shut down" every part of your computer that you dont need to play music.

it is probably interesting to minimise the cpu load.

You can install it on a USB drive for testing (bios : boot on usb device).

It would be interesting if you can test it and compare it to windows / Fidelizer ... (with the same USB ultra chain)

https://www.daphile.com/#overview

installation guide :
https://www.daphile.com/download/DaphileInstallation.pdf

In my system it is better than foobar.

David

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #75 of 573
  Rb, do you know much about these devices. Which one would be the one to try?
https://www.computercablestore.com/Fast-Ethernet-Media-Converters-577

Not familiar with them.  The Startech/ICRON are of course completely different.

These are the SMFC boxes I tried between the REX and LEX Startech boxes - to little good effect.  Sold them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back