USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Dec 20, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 573
  Does the Startech require 24V no matter what, or can it run with a lower voltage?

Someone said it could run on 18V - but the SMPS that came with it put out 24VDC.  Since each of the USB slots are used - but one does not drawn power.  And each of the three with the USB sticks draws 3.3V - I decided to say with the original voltage.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 573
I thought I would make a few other comments.  When I moved to the AOIP from USB - I noticed a certain haze or USB effect on the SQ.  Speculating that it was from the USb 'packet noise', I think now that is was related to CPU processing related noise.  The constant varying CPU load levels induce a modulation distortion.  By moving away from high current draw spinning drives and moving as much storage processing out of the PC power chain.  My thinking is this minimizes this modulated current issue.

My PC is a WIN 10 iCore 7 - 4790 with 12GB of DDR3 memory.  Fanless CPU cooling tower, El Fidelity SATA filters, Seasonic Fanless high PSRR power supply.

I use a Audience Ar1p (provides AC line filtering and balancing) plugged into a Synergistic Research Tesla power socket.  This feeds three separate Art Audio PB4X4Pro AC line isolators and filters.  Each with 40dB of common and differential mode power filtering.  One for my DAC, one for the DDC source chain and one for the PC server.

All PRO SERIES models have an additional internal discrete module called APF™ (Advanced Power Filtering) which filters out digital and dimmer hash as well as any high frequency noise that is above the audio range. Some off-the-shelf add-on modules saturate and lose their filtering effectiveness as the load increases, but by using a high power discrete design we were able to create a filter that stays effective over the full operating range.
By using both Common Mode and Differential Mode topologies in series for the filter design we are able to block virtually all of the unwanted noise that is between the AC line and ground, and also the two sides of the AC line. This has the additional benefit of reducing ground loop problems in your system. High frequency noise currents in particular are highly attenuated in both directions so that any line noise that could be generated by one of your components is not allowed to get back into your main A.C. wiring so if you use a number of PRO SERIES Power Conditioners in your setup, you can distribute and isolate the noisy components from the sensitive components in your system. Additionally, any signals above 10kHz are filtered from the line with over 40dB of attenuation above 100kHz and beyond.

I have noticed that these DDC devices are sensitive to clean power, multiple femto clocks.  One each in the LEX and REX, one in the Recovery and tow in the F-1.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #20 of 573
The idea of this thread is to kind of consolidate all the info in my other XU208 and AOIP threads - and pickup on the Singxer F-1 XU208 discussion.  I can't count how many people have PM'd me to open a new F-1 thread.

So to not only discuss this Ultra USB chain, but to resume that discussion.

I would consider trying a DIYinHK Pro3z in place of the F-1, if anyone wanted to send one to me for a go.

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #21 of 573
  The idea of this thread is to kind of consolidate all the info in my other XU208 and AOIP threads - and pickup on the Singxer F-1 XU208 discussion.  I can't count how many people have PM'd me to open a new F-1 thread.

So to not only discuss this Ultra USB chain, but to resume that discussion.

I would consider trying a DIYinHK Pro3z in place of the F-1, if anyone wanted to send one to me for a go.

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

if possible would be good to know how you like SU-1 as well.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #26 of 573
Expected response. Linear PS including what runs the USB ports and drive options, purpose built codecs, FW and control app. Proper single galvanised 75 ohm BNC output. Instead of fixing PC problems, try not having them for a change.
wink_face.gif

Have you heard a Pardo supply? I LOL'd and felt sad for those that bought at the same time. Not quite up to speed if you get my drift.

I'm out as this is a computer audio forum and while the Core will interface via file share and store it's probably stretching the intent here. I always felt this forum useful for those on a budget and trying to get the most for the least. Once you get to kilodollars(besides the PC) and Rube Goldberg rigs, I personally believe other options become more viable.

Enjoy your journey. It hasn't ended and experimentation is fun. Try not to be so angry.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #27 of 573
Expected response. Linear PS including what runs the USB ports and drive options, purpose built codecs, FW and control app. Proper single galvanised 75 ohm BNC output. Instead of fixing PC problems, try not having them for a change.:wink_face:  

Have you heard a Pardo supply? I LOL'd and felt sad for those that bought at the same time. Not quite up to speed if you get my drift.

I'm out as this is a computer audio forum and while the Core will interface via file share and store it's probably stretching the intent here. I always felt this forum useful for those on a budget and trying to get the most for the least. Once you get to kilodollars(besides the PC) and Rube Goldberg rigs, I personally believe other options become more viable.

Enjoy your journey. It hasn't ended and experimentation is fun. Try not to be so angry.

Um. Ok. Bye.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #28 of 573
Could you make a block diagram of your configuration, with a short description of each piece of gear in use?
That would help me see what you've come up with and give me a sense of what's needed for implementation.
As it stands now I don't understand what is where, nor the signal path etc.

Thanks! 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #29 of 573
  Expected response. Linear PS including what runs the USB ports and drive options, purpose built codecs, FW and control app. Proper single galvanised 75 ohm BNC output. Instead of fixing PC problems, try not having them for a change.
wink_face.gif

I am not sure what else you could expect - it was a complete tangent.

Yes I have heard and owned pardo supplies, together with my Naim gear, and they are very good; although different from Naim.

We don't yet know how good or bad The Core is, I hope it is excellent. However, the SQ that is being supplied by via AOIP, USB chains, etc is in no way inferior to Naim IMO. Naim has the advantage of being a single supplier and so has sorted many issues ....at a price.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back