USB. How long is too long?
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bluetick

100+ Head-Fier
How far can I run a USB cable before it degrades or alters fidelity/data?

Context: New set-up. I am dedicating a computer for use as a media server in my basement, yet I want the USB DAC to be located above it on the next floor. Distance is about twenty feet (max). I can fish a long USB cable with no problem, but wonder what (if any) sonic trade-offs come from it.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How far can I run a USB cable before it degrades or alters fidelity/data?

Man, I'm stoopid. 3 sec google.
redface.gif

For anyone concerned: 5 meters unless you add hubs, then it's a maximum of 25 meters.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes, I've seen the 5 metre usb cables in the shops. I have a 3 metre cable to connect from the PC to media player and that works flawlessly on its own. I have noticed that it can 'act up' a bit when attached to a 1m extension cable though, so might go for the 5m one.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 11
I've heard that more than 12 ft. is an absolute no-no for good sound, but I can't tell a lick of a difference between my 3 ft. and 16 ft. Belkin cables.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 11
5m is correct but instead of a hub(must be powered) to go further than that, you should check for active usb cables wich are powered usb cables(cheaper than a powered hub plus usb cable).

Your other option would be a media server with a squeezebox or something similar.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 11
I got a 1 meter cable gold belkin cable. Wouldnt take it farther than 2 meters personally

To determine the length, its dependent upon the AWG gage. The larger the gage, the less losses. Material plays a part as well

I'd recommend a squeezebox too

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 11
FWIW

5m is the spec for USB single cable. Longer runs need 'active extension' to prevent significant signal loss. 25m is max with 5 active cables. Longer runs demand transmitter and receiver units running CAT 5 or 6 between.

t

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 11
3m for low-speed, 5m for full-speed. These limits are by design as USB was never meant for long-run use and it does not depend on wire gauge, because signal loss isn't as much of a problem (it's really not a voltage or current bottleneck); the protocol is simply not designed to handle long lengths because of timing issues it and the signal delay that arises when having a longer cable.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Anything above 5 meters I would say.
...or as a general rule, keep it as short as possible.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 11
I routinely use 5M Belkin Gold with great results using my Off-Ramp 3 and Overdrive DAC's. However, the USB interface and implementation will have a big impact on performance, so the answer will depend on the device as well as the cable.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back