USB DAC w/HP out & w/ unamped RCA out
Mar 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

selkin

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a smaller USB (optical is ok too) DAC/AMP for my headphones. but the DAC/amp has to has an unamped RCA out..

Don't know where to start to look, I've done some search, none of the result were what I was looking for.

the D10 cobra is too expensive, I would like to keep it under $200 or even cheaper.

edit: the beresford has indeed rca out, but i'm interested in other devices as well.
add: and the TC-7520-10 is a bit sizey tbh. + and has only digital in as far as I can tell.

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 51
Look on Ebay.
Styleaudio and hifidiy.net have some good selections for cheaper DAC/AMP combinations.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Define "un-amped RCA out" - DAC chips generally can't drive interconnect cables so they use an output stage to so do - this can be a pure buffer (no voltage gain) or an amplifier (which has voltage gain).

Can't help much with choices.

I think I mean the pure buffer one. unamped.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look on Ebay.
Styleaudio and hifidiy.net have some good selections for cheaper DAC/AMP combinations.

HIFIDIY MINI USB DAC-HIFIDIY this one looks exactly what I was thinking about.
small, it has analog and digital in, analog output as well (hopefully unamped), and has a HP out either.

too bad it's not on ebay

stylaudio looks great too, and there's a retailer in the uk
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you think these little things are better than an avarage soundcard ?

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HIFIDIY MINI USB DAC-HIFIDIY this one looks exactly what I was thinking about.
small, it has analog and digital in, analog output as well (hopefully unamped), and has a HP out either.

too bad it's not on ebay

stylaudio looks great too, and there's a retailer in the uk
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you think these little things are better than an avarage soundcard ?

I have been listening to the "Topaz" for the last few days and I must admit this is one amazing DAC/amp. The size is perfect for many applications!!

Thx,
Craig

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 51
Apr 2, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been listening to the "Topaz" for the last few days and I must admit this is one amazing DAC/amp. The size is perfect for many applications!!

Thx,
Craig

I might need to review one of those.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 51
Yes it seems there's not much info about it here...
there's not many online dealers around either... and where you can buy it its a bit too expensive

thx for the bluecircle link HPAddict :>

add: where does this thing gets electricity from ?

anyway, I recentrly figured out that I just get a y1 and a keyboard with volume knob like this
!BPrgpBQBGk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLmZDmvBJ03TIMNsg~~_1.JPG

Or just get a D10, use the AMP section for my HPs, use the Aux out for my active speakers and control the volume on the speakers in the same external way with the keyboard's knob.
this is the best I can come up with right now

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 51
I've just brought the USB Thingee and feed it into my Musical Fidelity X-can v2. Cheap - $169 US. Very smooth tube-like sound giving a remarkably large soundstage with the Sennheiser HD580. It has a headphone jack, RCA outs and a digital out. However, I prefer my X-can to it's headphone out but as a DAC I'm very satisfied.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why there is HP out on it if no amp is present to drive it... what for? no one will use it.

Good question and I don't know the answer. However, it has an extremely high output but no volume control. It needs to be controlled from the computer. There must be some sort of simple gain boost in it. It's sound quality is actually quite good and listenable but not the equal of my X-can IMO. Blue Circle website gives no technical details but just mentions it has a headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back