USB DAC Recommendations and Q about cable length
Apr 8, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #16 of 19
If you have the choice, and you need a long run, always go with digital if possible.

It's just 1's and 0's. Legnth won't make it sound different, and it's generally cheap. Analog and legnth/price is a different story.

May 15, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by boead
I found that the longest a USB cable is sold is about 16 feet. Why? Can a USB cable for an audio device be longer then 16 feet?

I have a 20 metre fiber optic USB cable that I plug into a battery pack (4xAA batteries) at its downstream end = no ground loop, battery powered hub and it works well. This is only USB though not USB2 but I think it should be fine for connecting to a DAC.

A 33ft USB cable is sold here http://industrialcomponent.com/opticis/opm210010.html

incidentaly the longest uninterupted USB cable I've seen is a 40m (133ft) long fibre optic USB cable which is made by Opticis.

I only noticed this thread while searching for optical + jitter, sorry if its a bit late.

May 15, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #19 of 19
I spent quite a while looking into extended length USB cables. As part of my phd project I was using a usb camera that was quite a way from the computer it was attached to.

I tried several different solutions and the best was using a Icron USB 2 RAnger 140. All the other "extenders" etc just didn't perform as they stated in their specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back