USB dac for radius ddm
Feb 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gibbons

New Head-Fier
I've been using the radius DDMs for a few months now (only previous phones were klipsch s4s). I use the DDMs primarily with a desktop computer at work--no idea what sound card it has--maybe a soundmax or something.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good USB dac for use in conjunction without the DDMs, or say whether these headphones would benefit significantly from a dac. I've heard mixed sentiment about whether or not they need an amp. I feel like I am missing out on something with these headphones that might be rectified with a dac; I actually think there are times when the s4s sounded better, which I am guessing might be because they were more forgiving with the crappy audio infrastructure of the computer.

Also, I usually stream music from MOG, which claims 320kbps, but was wondering if this might also be a cause for degraded quality.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help out a newbie...

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 6
If you don't know what soundcard you have then it's probably junk.  Almost all computers have junk soundcards unless you've specifically upgraded it yourself.
A USB DAC will help not because your headphones need more power but because the soundcard on your computer probably isn't that great.  If you want a relatively cheap one (under 150) you could get the fiio e7, total bithead (or regular bithead), some of the Creative external soundcards, and I think nuforce makes a cheapish usb dac too.

I have the total bithead and I like it.  It's very very picky though, you get a lot of random static if it doesn't like your usb  cord and it's really annoying that it doesn't have an ac adapter.  The sound is great though, imo.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 6
benefit from a dac? lol what?
you don't need to amp the radius DDM. they are high efficiency IEMs
if you want a usb dac, do some searching. some good cheap ones i can name right now, all of which will likely be miles ahead of your soundcard: nuforce udac 1/2, hrt music streamer II, fiio e7, audinst hud-mx1, perhaps that tda 1543 x4 muse-audio dac on ebay
I think all above are <150
search in the source forums

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 6
I guess what I meant to ask is: do you think I will experience a noticeable improvement in sound going with an external USB DAC like the nuForce uDac versus my current desktop PC's sound card, which I have found out is a "soundmax integrated digital high definition audio."

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back