USB - DAC - explanation and benefits
Jan 17, 2008 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DesertInTheShape

100+ Head-Fier
okay, keep in mind im a newbie, so forgive me for the question...
but can someone breakdown exactly what an amp with/without DAC is? and has usb capabilities?
What is the difference say between a Predator or Pico AND say a Hornet or ibasso, etc...?

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 11
Two things,

Amp is used for amplifies audio signal which came from sources like :
DAC (Digital Analog Converter), which convert digital data into analog signal, which later amplified through amp to headphone.

Some amplifier has built in DAC, for example Pico & Predator, vice versa a Portable DAC with built in amp like iBasso D1. All of them has USB input capabilities for their DAC setion, so you can connect the DAC to your PC or MAC.

While hornet is a portable headphone amplifier, it doesn't have built in DAC, and it's solely used in pair with sources (eg. iPod, CD player, other DAP)

DAC commonly uses 3 digital input ; Coaxial, Optical & USB.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Many computers don't use the best DAC in their sound cards (DAC is to translate digital data into analog audio signals), nor do they tend to use the best opamps to drive the headphones, so CD and DVD sound is adequate, but not exceptional.

So, and outboard box with a better DAC/AMP can improve the sound, and almost ALL computers have USB, but only a few have optical or coax out (Macbook has optical). Digital data can come from USB, optical, Coax, and a couple of others. So, many tiny amps that have a DAC include only USB input for DAC to be used with laptops and keep the amp small and battery life long (optical kills battery life).

The DAC converts the digital sound data stream to analog, and feeds it to the amplifier that comes with the DAC via an internal connection. You still get an analog input to feed an external analog signal into the amp, from a headphone jack or line out from a MP3 player, CD player, TV, etc...

If you already have a better portable DAC (Headstage USB DAC CABLE, Behringer, M-Audio, TBBAM, Monica, etc...) then you don't need one in your amp, and a Hornet or P2 or any other normal headphone amp will still sound better than the line out of the laptop. My P2 with Headstage DAC sounds tremendous, and is only a little bigger than the predator, and total cost shipped was under $200.

p2_predator1.jpg

p2_predator2.jpg

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 11
Capunk, I can't believe I took 10 minutes longer than you to post the "first" reply to this thread. Your reply wasn't there when I started.
redface.gif

Clarification, when I say if you already have a better portable DAC, I mean better than the one in the computer.

And, when I say less than $200 total, I mean DAC cable, P2 and shipping combined were under $200. I only have 340 hours of burn-in on my Predator, and about 36 hours on my new P2 mainboard (replaced under warrantee) with 300 hours on my Headstage USB DAC cable, so I can't say which is better yet. Both are exceptionally good.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 11
so basically, if i am going to be using ONLY a small portable device like an ipod, i don't need an amp with DAC? or I could use an amp with DAC like the Pico with an ipod, but the built in DAC would be useless....would the Pico still pump up the ipod?
I don't plan on using an amp for my computer.....is this what these are mostly used for?

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I could use an amp with DAC like the Pico with an ipod, but the built in DAC would be useless....would the Pico still pump up the ipod?

Yes.the Pico would pump up the Ipod and you could save yourself 200 bucks and order a Pico that doesnt have a DAC built into it. It comes in two versions.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I don't plan on using an amp for my computer.....is this what these are mostly used for?

Primarily, there are portable players that have digital outputs that people use in conjunction with DAC/AMP combos.

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 11
just to clarify, i don't have an ipod. i have a vibez.
biggrin.gif

i have read here, many great things about the pico,
so would this amp be a good fit for the vibez--without the dac option?
or would an amp like the hornet or tomahawk be more well suited?

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 11
Honestly. I think a Pico would be WAY more amp than what you need. depending on what kind of headphones are you using? There are plenty of other options out there. The Pico seems to be the top of the line FOTM. A hornet or Tomahawk are well regarded too. As is the Ibasso P2. depends on how much you want to spend, what headphones you plan on using, what kind of battery life you want. Any of these amp should do you fine..considering the source.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertInTheShape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just to clarify, i don't have an ipod. i have a vibez.
biggrin.gif

i have read here, many great things about the pico,
so would this amp be a good fit for the vibez--without the dac option?
or would an amp like the hornet or tomahawk be more well suited?

Also. If you are thinking about the pico, if you're budget isn't really really slim, get the version with dac. The dac alone has gotten very much praise here. When you later get $200, you will probably regret not getting pico with dac.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 11
ndkyz's comment about headphones is a good one. IF the sound coming out of your Vibez (I'm not familiar with this portable player) is unsatisfactory, you should probably try different headphones to see if better quality cans address the problem. If the problem persists, then consider an amp.

Consider a DAC or DAC+amp hybrid only if you have digital outs on your Vibez -- since the DAC is used to take over the task of converting digital signals to analog, which is required by the amp and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back