USB cables - Should I buy a better one or stick with the cheapo?
Jan 1, 2014 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

crazychile

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Schiit Vali and Modi on the way and will be connecting these to my MacBook Pro. I have used upgraded cables on other systems, but I don't know much about USB technology as it relates to audio.

1. Is there any sound benefit to using an upgraded, yet cheap USB cable? (must be < $75)

2. If so, which one do you recommend?

3. I'm also looking for recommendations on .5M audio cables to connect the Vali and Modi.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 34

Nope. Some people will try and convince you otherwise, though.

Thanks for the reply. So do you generally feel the same way about other audio cables, or just USB? I'm just trying to get a little perspective here.

Thanks.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 34
I'm a believer, but not willing to spend a fortune on cables either. I went with an Audioquest Forrest USB cable for about $35 and definately feel it sounds better than your standard printer USB cable.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 34
why would you prefer USB cables? ever? 
they are less solid (break easier if forced), you usually need your USB ports for other components, USB is way less portable: you cant use AMPS, you can use soundcards, and you can't use the headphones in devices with no USB.
It's basically worthless, specially if you have to pay more money for USB

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 34

Thanks for the reply. So do you generally feel the same way about other audio cables, or just USB? I'm just trying to get a little perspective here.

Thanks.

Particularly digital cables, but from my research and personal experience, analog cables make no difference either (as long as there's nothing actually wrong with them and the length isn't too long).
That said, don't take my word for it. Do some research and testing, and come to your own conclusion.

Oh, and look up "ABX test". It's the ultimate tool for figuring this stuff out (though harder to do with cables).

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 34
  why would you prefer USB cables? ever? 
they are less solid (break easier if forced), you usually need your USB ports for other components, USB is way less portable: you cant use AMPS, you can use soundcards, and you can't use the headphones in devices with no USB.
It's basically worthless, specially if you have to pay more money for USB

The DAC is USB, so I don't have the option to use optical, SPDIF, etc. I don't necessarily prefer the USB sound, but that's what it is.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 34

Particularly digital cables, but from my research and personal experience, analog cables make no difference either (as long as there's nothing actually wrong with them and the length isn't too long).
That said, don't take my word for it. Do some research and testing, and come to your own conclusion.

Oh, and look up "ABX test". It's the ultimate tool for figuring this stuff out (though harder to do with cables).

Thanks for clarifying.

Probably a more refined question would be, for those of you that think you can hear a difference in RCA cables and speaker wire, can you also hear a difference in modestly priced USB cables?

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 34
Yes, but like Andrew said the best way to determine is to try it for yourself. I would recommend buying an affordable audiophile USB cable (Audioquest, Wireworld, Pangea are some good affordable options) from a site like Amazon.com. If you don't think it improves the sound quality to your ears then just send it back and you will wonder no longer.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 34
I tried about seven different USB cables in the last 9 months and they all sounds different. Some really hugely different (ex. Wireworld Starlight 7 and Transparent Performance).

Now I know i am gonna receive rocks from the 0 and 1 crowd who for the most part never really experimented or are willing to with different USB cables.

Believe me, I REALLY WISHED USB cables make no difference.

If you can stretch your budget, a Silnote Poseidon can be found for about $149 to $199 on a popular auction site. Much, much more better sounding cable than anything I compare it in the range of $100.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 34
Think about it. If USB wasn't bit-perfect you'd corrupt files when transferring them.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 34
Wouldn't this be like saying that SATA cable A sounds better than SATA cable B?

As long as the USB cable complies with the USB standard it's built for then the only difference would be build quality. Some extremely cheap cables might fail\break quicker than others.

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #15 of 34
  I tried about seven different USB cables in the last 9 months and they all sounds different. Some really hugely different (ex. Wireworld Starlight 7 and Transparent Performance).

Now I know i am gonna receive rocks from the 0 and 1 crowd who for the most part never really experimented or are willing to with different USB cables.

Believe me, I REALLY WISHED USB cables make no difference.

If you can stretch your budget, a Silnote Poseidon can be found for about $149 to $199 on a popular auction site. Much, much more better sounding cable than anything I compare it in the range of $100.

I've has good experiences with Wireworld cables in the past. How did you like the Starlight 7? That one is at the max of what I'm willing to spend.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back