USB-C Sucks. 3.5mm Is Real Sound!!!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #271 of 320
When did I say it was universally applicable? In fact, two posts back I say PCs work fine for some folks and are cheaper. You’re arguing against something I didn’t say.

And if a dongle is as small as the cord itself, which the Apple dongle is, it shouldn’t make any practical difference. That is an example of not wanting a dongle for an unstated reason…. Probably just brand name bias not based in fact. I probably can’t fix that kind of ignorance, but I can point it out.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #272 of 320
When did I say it was universally applicable? In fact, two posts back I say PCs work fine for most folks and are cheaper. You’re arguing against something I didn’t say.

And if a dongle is as small as the cord itself, which the Apple dongle is, it shouldn’t make any practical difference. That is an example of not wanting a dongle for an unstated reason…. Probably just brand name bias not based in fact. I probably can’t fix that kind of ignorance, but I can point it out.
Although you didn't say it, I've changed the word "some" for real world experience.

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #273 of 320
It depends on the business you’re in.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #274 of 320
It depends on the business you’re in.
Most types of businesses are windows based. A small subset are predominantly MacOS. ChromeOS’s market share also exceeds that of MacOS.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/218089/global-market-share-of-windows-7

https://www.geekwire.com/2021/chromebooks-outsold-macs-worldwide-2020-cutting-windows-market-share/

I understand that the Apple ecosystem is the platform that works best for you. That’s great. It would be nice if you could acknowledge that others have non-Apple exclusive solutions that better fit their use cases.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #275 of 320
The music and film industry is where I work. The Mac is a media computer. People who crunch numbers are better off with a PC.

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #276 of 320
Most types of businesses are windows based. A small subset are predominantly MacOS. ChromeOS’s market share also exceeds that of MacOS.
How do you know most types of business are windows-based, and not just predominantly windows? It is interesting that ChromeOS's growth is at the expense of windows, not mac.
(snip)...others have non-Apple exclusive solutions that better fit their use cases.
This, and the fact that most IT support staff know windows, can be deciding factors for any purchase decision. I'll note that 3 times I've been told "the IT guy doesn't do macs", to which I'd respond "I don't need help. I want a mac". My lone mac invariably infected the place, and each was mixed platform when I left. This was not because I pushed it (I didn't), but from my example.

The music and film industry is where I work. The Mac is a media computer. People who crunch numbers are better off with a PC.
Stop with the Dunning-Kruger BS! Heed Abraham Lincoln's advice and avoid "removing all doubt". I crunch numbers and I'm not better off with a PC. The same is true for the majority of my colleagues. Most of them use macs.

Back to the thread. The key here is everyone has free choice, and the best we can do is inform them with facts and evidence, not try to push them to our personal favorite.

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #277 of 320
I honestly don’t have any experience with number crunching, and I don’t pretend to. I work in the entertainment business and almost everyone I know works with Macs.

OK. Number crunching works great on Macs. Then what jobs are there that work better with PCs? You guys are the experts. Fill me in.

I think you guys get pleasure out of arguing. It’s weird. I don’t even argue and you argue with me.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #278 of 320
I honestly don’t have any experience with number crunching, and I don’t pretend to.
People who crunch numbers are better off with a PC.

I bolded. Do you not know what you wrote right above?

Then what jobs are there that work better with PCs?
This, and the fact that most IT support staff know windows, can be deciding factors for any purchase decision.
"This" refers to:
(snip)...others have non-Apple exclusive solutions that better fit their use cases.

I don’t even argue and you argue with me.
Nonsense. You usually argue, but you rarely quote people, so it can appear you're just pondering aloud. One of your tactics...

Anything thread related? Or are you in your "must get in the last word to appear on the Sound Science page" mode?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #279 of 320
Man, this stuff is tiresome. Sound and fury signifying nothing. I’m not even fighting and you keep upping the ante with each post. Do you act like this in real life or is this just an internet thing?

By the way, I don’t quote people because I don’t want to encourage your aggressive behavior. You don’t need a reminder in your email box letting you know that I continue to exist despite your best efforts.

I’d talk about the tech stuff that is making me happy right now, but it would only enrage you further.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #281 of 320
Yes. I love it too. I just got a MacBook Pro 16 and I've never been so happy with a computer. I did a little research on YouTube and found out all kinds of things that took my use to a new level... apps, SSD, M1 processor, etc. I was even able to return my 30 inch Apple Cinema Display back into service. I was working with a seven year old iMac before. I'm working on a project to do live-streamed video educational events and I never would have been able to pull that off with my old comp. Every time I upgrade, there are some growing pains, but new opportunities open up. I'm very happy with my Mac gear.

My new MacBook has a headphone jack. I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. I'm running line out and line in through a CalDigit TS4 dock and a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. Couldn't hope for a better sounding or more flexible audio interface.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #282 of 320
With apple you are buying their OS and possibility to integrate with other products, but windows can actually do way more even regards media stuff. So what drives so many people to apple ? Well it has ease of use OS and it triggers something warm and familiar in your heart when you see it's logo. Very similar to the feeling triggered by other brands like Coke, Adidas, etc... depending on your taste

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #283 of 320
For me, it's definitely the ease of use of the OS. That allows me to focus on the task and not the machine. Other people like programming stuff and jury rigging to make the comp do lots of different things in different ways. That's great for them. I prefer to not have to think about those things and just focus on editing video or laying out books or assembling storyboards or tracking production or digitizing and processing images, video and sound. The machine disappears. It isn't warm fuzzy brand loyalty because I really don't want to think about the machine, just the job I'm doing. My new MacBook is doing things seamlessly that I didn't know I could do.

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #284 of 320
With apple you are buying their OS and possibility to integrate with other products, but windows can actually do way more even regards media stuff. So what drives so many people to apple ? Well it has ease of use OS and it triggers something warm and familiar in your heart when you see it's logo. Very similar to the feeling triggered by other brands like Coke, Adidas, etc... depending on your taste
-I buy Apple for the OS, the interoperability and the hardware. It doesn't seem that you follow hardware developments much.

-Windows cannot do way more for me. What are you talking about?

-Apple doesn't trigger anything warmer or more familiar than windows. You must have a different relationship with your computer.

-I don't like Apple's logo, I don't drink Coke and I don't wear Adidas. I don't think a logo has ever factored into a purchase decision for me.

At least for me, you seem to have missed on every point. It's just as bad for an Apple lover to blindly push Apple, when inappropriate, as it is for an Apple hater to blindly push against it.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #285 of 320
-I buy Apple for the OS, the interoperability and the hardware. It doesn't seem that you follow hardware developments much.

-Windows cannot do way more for me. What are you talking about?

-Apple doesn't trigger anything warmer or more familiar than windows. You must have a different relationship with your computer.

-I don't like Apple's logo, I don't drink Coke and I don't wear Adidas. I don't think a logo has ever factored into a purchase decision for me.

At least for me, you seem to have missed on every point.

What does Apple hardware has that is ahead of any other server/laptop ? They don't invent CPU/GPU or some new RAM topology. It just collection of the hardware from other manufacturers with their own OS. M1 chip is produced and created by TSM which never uses it's own brand name for their semiconductors and has huge pool of customers. M1 chip is simply licensed by apple, but that's about it. If AMD made a larger bid it would state that M1 is produced by AMD

In fact if you are hardware focused you could get way bigger bang for a $ with windows based or even hardware without any operating system.

Macbook biggest selling point is user friendly OS which is fallowed by a strong marketing. For this reason I'm apple user myself even though my field is in IT engineering, but I understand it's limitations. You won't find a single larger company that has their infrastructure build on apple OS. For average consumer which doesn't need the best performance or gaming station apple is the easiest way to go

Regards these cases neither I was quoting or talking to you actually. Your case can be whatever, but it doesn't change the fact that windows has way larger functionality than Mac OS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back