URGENT: NYC Help Needed - Accomodation
Nov 17, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Guru - Please let us know what you think of this hotel. If enough of us were to stay there when visiting NYC, perhaps they would offer a Head-Fi members' discount.

Here's the link:
http://www.pickwickarms.com/index.php

That is the one I am booked into right now. I think that, for the location, the price is very reasonable. I am not expecting 5 star treatment...just clean sheets and a clean bed. I am pretty pleased with the find.

I will check it out and let you know how it goes. Nothing beats being able to walk out of cheap accomodation into Manhattan
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #17 of 24
Around the Meadowlands area in NJ (Secaucus, E. Rutherford, Rt 3) are a lot of quality hotels like Mariott & Sheridan, and some cheaper ones like HoJo, that are a 15 min. express bus ride from the city (costs about $3). A lot of tourists stay at these. You can save a lot of money and still get a four-star stay. If you're driving here, you can park out there for free or use it in the city if you want. (If you're driving and thinking about staying at in Manhattan, find out if your inn of choice comes with parking, which it probably does not, or you may have to budge another $30-40 a day to get your car a place to stay.)

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #18 of 24
Do you consider the following idea to have merit, or is it hairbrained? Would it be worthwhile to identify an inexpensive, though satisfactory, hotel in each of several major cities for Head-Fi members to use when traveling there? Perhaps, by frequenting these hotels, Head-Fi members could obtain reduced rates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
That is the one I am booked into right now. I think that, for the location, the price is very reasonable. I am not expecting 5 star treatment...just clean sheets and a clean bed. I am pretty pleased with the find.

I will check it out and let you know how it goes. Nothing beats being able to walk out of cheap accomodation into Manhattan
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Do you consider the following idea to have merit, or is it hairbrained? Would it be worthwhile to identify an inexpensive, though satisfactory, hotel in each of several major cities for Head-Fi members to use when traveling there? Perhaps, by frequenting these hotels, Head-Fi members could obtain reduced rates.

mike - you got the whole HE-90 thing moving...no idea from you is hairbrained
smily_headphones1.gif

I dont expect to be participating in too many meets in the future but I would identify a nationwide chain of hotels and make a deal with them for headfi discounts.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
If you're driving and thinking about staying at in Manhattan, find out if your inn of choice comes with parking, which it probably does not, or you may have to budge another $30-40 a day to get your car a place to stay

Excellent point! We are driving there -but- one way only. We return the car as soon as we get there and then we live NYC style
smily_headphones1.gif
subway all the way!

Nov 18, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 24
Thank you for your kind remark regarding my contribution to the HE90 effort. I may raise the hotel idea as a separate thread. As for your participation in future meets, it was great getting to know you at the meets that we both attended, and I really hope to see you again in the not too distant future. Have a wonderful time in NYC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
mike - you got the whole HE-90 thing moving...no idea from you is hairbrained
smily_headphones1.gif

I dont expect to be participating in too many meets in the future but I would identify a nationwide chain of hotels and make a deal with them for headfi discounts.

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #23 of 24
+1 for the chinatown holiday inn if it's not too steep. chinatown is a really cool neighborhood, and very close to the best parts of the city (LES, soho, village, etc.)

of course, the pickwick arms looks like a great place too, if you're doing the "first time in nyc" thing... right in the heart of midtown, close to major icons, MOMA, central park (don't miss central park, it's byooteeful right now). i work only about three blocks from there. it's a business-district, but you'll be very central.

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #24 of 24
NYC hotel rates are ridiculously high.

If you aren't trying to maintain SPG/HH status and don't have any need for stay credit, you might want to try booking through opaque channels instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back