URGENT: NYC Help Needed - Accomodation
Nov 17, 2005 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Hi people,

Need advice about a place to stay in NYC. Our's is a party of 4 and we are looking to spend sensibly. Our main goal is to visit NYC and see what it has to offer...as long as the accomodation is clean and safe - we will be satisfied.

Any recommendations that will not break the bank?

This is urgent because we will be leaving from Raleigh on Tuesday next week.

THANKS!!

GS

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Hi people,

Need advice about a place to stay in NYC. Our's is a party of 4 and we are looking to spend sensibly. Our main goal is to visit NYC and see what it has to offer...as long as the accomodation is clean and safe - we will be satisfied.

Any recommendations that will not break the bank?

This is urgent because we will be leaving from Raleigh on Tuesday next week.

THANKS!!

GS

Guru ...

When I was a college student, a bunch of us stayed at a YMCA near Columbus Circle. Here's a link - I think it is the Vanderbilt Y referenced in that link.

Of course, if you are mixed sexes, all bets are off - we were a bunch of guys looking for a flophouse.

Hopefully the NYC crowd (jahn, immtbiker, lan, etc will check in with current recommendations.

Have fun ... NYC is the greatest city on earth.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 24
I'm telling you - get a double twin room at the W hotel on Union Square - absolute bargain for around $300 a night.

But for real budget - I thought the Herald Square Hotel was pretty decent. Kinda wish it were a bit more sterile - but it was pretty adequate.

http://www.heraldsquarehotel.com/

Best,

-Jason

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 24
I second the W hotels, check which one is closest to the area you want to walk around in and go for it. Even the one in Chelsea is nice.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 24
got the westin on times square for 100ish. try the online booking sites. dont go cheap..nyc can be a nasty place...just ask me after i spend the night on jahn's couch...
frown.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 24
If you really want to save serious money, you need to get into the other boroughs, or north manhattan if you dare. The Y is a great idea. Or, if you double dare, try a homeless shelter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 24
If you don't mind staying in queens & taking the train into the city stay at the Ramada we held the NY meet in. Info & phone # in the NY meet thread.

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 24
when my relatives come to visit, they like to stay at The Holiday Inn in Chinatown. they're not rich, so i guess the prices are accomodating. you might want to give them a try. Chinatown is in Lower manhattan, so you're near everything by subway.

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 24
Guru - Please let us know what you think of this hotel. If enough of us were to stay there when visiting NYC, perhaps they would offer a Head-Fi members' discount.

Here's the link:
http://www.pickwickarms.com/index.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
YMCA is fully booked. The nice lady there recommended the Pickwick Arms hotel...booked two double-bunk bedrooms there for $99.00/night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back