URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Jun 1, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #721 of 1,184
I personally am super happy with my Urbanfun. Its by far the best budget iem I have and it holds it own against iems at any price point. I have iems at all price points.

The bass on it is top notch, one of the best I've heard. And with some EQ the signature is great. It will be compared with ThieAudio L3 soon, but I can see it being my daily driver for a long time. Oh, and I didn't even try it balanced yet!
I bought a balanced Tripowin Zonie cable for mine from the same seller. It's been 2 months since I bought the set, but new tracking info says it's finally with my local postal carrier. I'm certain that it will be with me in a few more days. Can't wait to hook this up to my gear.

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #722 of 1,184
looks like they're back in stock from the retailer I received my Thieaudio legacy 3's. I'm guessing quality control issues still exist? Trying to hold off on getting a pair since I recently picked up the blon 03's and er2xr's. Can someone convince me that the urbanfun's are something I need? :)

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #723 of 1,184
looks like they're back in stock from the retailer I received my Thieaudio legacy 3's. I'm guessing quality control issues still exist? Trying to hold off on getting a pair since I recently picked up the blon 03's and er2xr's. Can someone convince me that the urbanfun's are something I need? :)

Here's the thing about the UF QC issues: everyone seems to have been shocked about their existence, no one seems to have actually experienced any. Actually one person did report a faulty MMCX connector.

It's probably the best bass in any iem under $100.

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #724 of 1,184
I have both the L3 and UF. If you are lucky enough to get UF with Beryllium driver I think they are better than the L3

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #725 of 1,184
I have both the L3 and UF. If you are lucky enough to get UF with Beryllium driver I think they are better than the L3
I'm guessing there's no way to find out if you'll get one with Beryllium driver without just ordering one? are they associated with gray cable or pink cable versions? aliexpress? etc?

**edit** nevermind, I see it in the description.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #726 of 1,184
Hey guys, I'm interested in buying 1 of these with the black/grey cable and I have a few questions:

1. I'm planning to buy them from DD-Audio Store (LINK), has anyone ordered from them before (with the black/grey cable version) and confirmed that they do indeed sell the version with beryllium?
2. Like @Sam L asked up here, how can we be sure that we have the beryllium version, is there a way to verify this after receiving it?
3. It seems that there were issues with MMCX earlier on, I think that it's fixed with the more recent batches?

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I have ordered them anyway, since they are on sales at DD-Audio. I hope that others can still tell me how to distinguish the non-beryllium driver units from the ones that have it.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #727 of 1,184
Hey guys, I'm interested in buying 1 of these with the black/grey cable and I have a few questions:

1. I'm planning to buy them from DD-Audio Store (LINK), has anyone ordered from them before (with the black/grey cable version) and confirmed that they do indeed sell the version with beryllium?
2. Like @Sam L asked up here, how can we be sure that we have the beryllium version, is there a way to verify this after receiving it?
3. It seems that there were issues with MMCX earlier on, I think that it's fixed with the more recent batches?

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I have ordered them anyway, since they are on sales at DD-Audio. I hope that others can still tell me how to distinguish the non-beryllium driver units from the ones that have it.

The only way to tell is to remove the nozzle mesh and shine a light onto the driver inside the shell. There is a very small hole in the center of the metal cover over the driver, and you can see the center dome of the diaphragm.

Using a powerful magnifying glass, you should be able to tell what type the driver is.

If it is highly reflective, like a chrome mirror finish, then it is the beryllium driver. If it is dull greyish/silver metal, and does NOT have a mirror finish, then it is the noble metal version.

I have posted pictures of the difference in this thread, which can be found with the search function.

I own 3 ISS014, and a mix of pink cable and grey cable. Here’s how they break down:

1. pink cable, noble metal driver, good mmcx sockets
2. Pink cable, beryllium driver, messed up mmcx sockets
3. Grey cable, noble metal driver, good mmcx sockets

There are definite sound difference between the 2 driver versions.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #728 of 1,184
The only way to tell is to remove the nozzle mesh and shine a light onto the driver inside the shell. There is a very small hole in the center of the metal cover over the driver, and you can see the center dome of the diaphragm.

Using a powerful magnifying glass, you should be able to tell what type the driver is.

If it is highly reflective, like a chrome mirror finish, then it is the beryllium driver. If it is dull greyish/silver metal, and does NOT have a mirror finish, then it is the noble metal version.

I have posted pictures of the difference in this thread, which can be found with the search function.

I own 3 ISS014, and a mix of pink cable and grey cable. Here’s how they break down:

1. pink cable, noble metal driver, good mmcx sockets
2. Pink cable, beryllium driver, messed up mmcx sockets
3. Grey cable, noble metal driver, good mmcx sockets

There are definite sound difference between the 2 driver versions.

Did you pick up all three of these from the same retailer?

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #729 of 1,184
Did you pick up all three of these from the same retailer?

I bought one used from another HeadFier, but I don’t know where he bought it from.

I got the other 2 directly from Urbanfun. I think the store was called UF Store or something similar.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #730 of 1,184
FYI, here is the post where I discuss the difference including close up photos of the 2 different drivers.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/urbanfun-ybf-iss014-impressions-thread.921709/page-27#post-15535999

Note that the physical difference of the driver diaphragm is subtle, and can be confused if you really don’t know or understand what you’re looking for. It is easy when you have them side by side like I did, and now I know what to look for so I can easily identify them.

But if you only own 1 or the other, and have nothing to compare it to, it is entirely possible to misidentify which one you have.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #731 of 1,184

Thank you for your time.

The UrbanFun units sold by Linsoul should all have Beryllium drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back