UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Jan 26, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #751 of 1,138
and twisting the unshielded data+ and data- wires will ensure that the signal is as unaffected as possible giving you improved SQ compared to shielding. Also the GND wire is moved away from the data wires to ensure that it does´nt affect the data wires negatively. Removing the GND wire all together will not be a good sq solution though...plus it is also needed for DAC´s that requires a handshake/hello.  

So in a data-only cable, braid the -ve/+ve lines and leave that ground wire out of the braid if your DAC needs a handshake (which mine does) ?

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #752 of 1,138
and twisting the unshielded data+ and data- wires will ensure that the signal is as unaffected as possible giving you improved SQ compared to shielding. Also the GND wire is moved away from the data wires to ensure that it does´nt affect the data wires negatively. Removing the GND wire all together will not be a good sq solution though...plus it is also needed for DAC´s that requires a handshake/hello.

So in a data-only cable, braid the -ve/+ve lines and leave that ground wire out of the braid if your DAC needs a handshake (which mine does) ?

If you know you have a DAC that is self-powered but needs the handshake you connect the Konvertible Lite with the 5vbus power wire plugged in. When the handshake is done you simply unplug the 5vbus wire so the data+, data- and GND is the only ones connected. Power is needed during the initial handshake.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #753 of 1,138
If you know you have a DAC that is self-powered but needs the handshake you connect the Konvertible Lite with the 5vbus power wire plugged in. When the handshake is done you simply unplug the 5vbus wire so the data+, data- and GND is the only ones connected. Power is needed during the initial handshake.

Thanks. Got the power covered, I was just curious about best practices of braiding a DIY data-only cable if this stuff can affect the SQ. And it looks like I'll be keeping the ground line separate from the braid on my next smaller cable than the one I now have.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #754 of 1,138
Hi All, it appears the Elijah Audio website won't be updated until this Friday (Aussie time)
Also, would just like to mention that initial orders may incur up to a 14 day build time as I streamline the construction process and fill existing orders-  planning to reduce this to 7 days or less ASAP
And a further note of clarification regarding the Konvertible lite design
The DC plug feature of the K-lite has nothing to do with the Power Supply to the Regen - It was chosen as the connector of choice because of it's advantages over the Auto style bullet connector I had used for the prototype
Thanks , Michael

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #756 of 1,138
So, the Konvertable Lite is a good add on for the Regem (using it with the Geek Out Special Edition, an upgraded 1000). Already using 2G LH labs usb cable, does it pay to change cables?

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #757 of 1,138
So, the Konvertable Lite is a good add on for the Regem (using it with the Geek Out Special Edition, an upgraded 1000). Already using 2G LH labs usb cable, does it pay to change cables?

It certainly pays off changing to better USB cables. It is however difficult to know the difference between Lightspeed 2G without trying the both of them. It all comes down to sound signature and if the Geek out needs the handshake or not. What I do know is that the Konvertible Lite sounds very clear, natural, smooth, detailed and awsome in every way and are the very best USB cable that I have heard. I have heard a lot of USB cables...but unfortunately not he 2G (but read good reviews). I also know that Elijah Audio have a 60 days satisfaction guaratee. It is very safe to try as long as you are careful with the cable. I have placed an order of the Konvertible Lite 500mm (3 wire version, ie without 5v lead) as well so I will have it both before and after the USB Regen. Joy! :)

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #759 of 1,138
Hi Bernie, I am arranging with a local Adelaide customer (using Curious link between Regen/DAC) to audition/compare a K-lite 160 and a K-lite 500( between PC/Regen) I will post his comments ASAP
Michael

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #760 of 1,138
Hi Michael,

Great! I'm very interested to learn the outcome of the comparison. It would be very helpful if your local customer could provide some details about the system and music involved.

Cheers,

Bernie

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #761 of 1,138
Someone posted this statement over on my Gustard U12 thread - I wonder if the Uptone folks have any comment on the Regen adding noise on the USB feed?

I absolutely love the intona. It does help in my system actually. I may consider selling my ppa3 now. As the intona does everything I need and then some. Kinda a no brainer. Industrial strength! Wonder what industry... Oh wait, duh!! The audio industry! So it's made for professional level studios with demands, and other stuff too. But definitely audio grade. I was just reading how sulking the regen, jitterbug and wyrd are as many of them actually add noise to USB. More than I realized. Good thing intona has been tested to prove it actually removes all the packet noise. Specifically 8khz and 16khz noise is no longer any issue. Which I would love to see the ifi iusb3.0 specs on 8khz packet noise. I haven't been fortunate enough to find that information yet. I may have to borrow my friends and get that info myself. But at least I know the intona is actually working and not just some silly device that makes USB sound different. The Intona actually makes it sound as good as it's going to get. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #762 of 1,138
I purchased a TeraDak TeraLink X1/X2 8.5V Linear PSU a little while ago for my Regen, and I was happy with the results of the upgrade....now I'm considering iFi's new offering of the "DC iPurifier" to go with it.

I use their Gemini and Mercury USB cables with the iUSB and iPurifier2 in conjunction with my Regen, and I'm happy with what they all did for the SQ of my chain.

I can't find one for under $150, however, and that seems rather steep for a "let's hope this does something maybe a little" purchase :/

Any opinions on whether it'd be a noticeable upgrade to the Regen + TeraDak PSU when using the following setup, please?

iFi Mercury USB cable > iFi USB iPurifier2> iUSB > iGemini dual USB cable (power USB cable unplugged) > Uptone Regen (with TeraDak TeraLink X1/X2 8.5V Linear PSU) > Konvertible Lite > Xonar Essence One DAC > RCA > iFi iTube preamp > Yulong A28 balanced headphone amp > Cardas Fatpipe Balanced cables > HD800's

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #763 of 1,138
I purchased a TeraDak TeraLink X1/X2 8.5V Linear PSU a little while ago for my Regen, and I was happy with the results of the upgrade....now I'm considering iFi's new offering of the "DC iPurifier" to go with it.

I use their Gemini and Mercury USB cables with the iUSB and iPurifier2 in conjunction with my Regen, and I'm happy with what they all did for the SQ of my chain.

I can't find one for under $150, however, and that seems rather steep for a "let's hope this does something maybe a little" purchase :/

Any opinions on whether it'd be a noticeable upgrade to the Regen + TeraDak PSU when using the following setup, please?

iFi Mercury USB cable > iFi USB iPurifier2> iUSB > iGemini dual USB cable (power USB cable unplugged) > Uptone Regen (with TeraDak TeraLink X1/X2 8.5V Linear PSU) > Konvertible Lite > Xonar Essence One DAC > RCA > iFi iTube preamp > Yulong A28 balanced headphone amp > Cardas Fatpipe Balanced cables > HD800's

Can you buy a DC iPurifier?  I've been looking for one all over - iFi said Jan '16 release.

BTW I use a TeraDak X1 on my Regen.  I recapped it with totl Panasonic FR 1600uf caps  - made a nice improvement in the sound.  Only cost $15.  Unfortunately TeraDak use those crappy el-cheapo gray Chinese caps.\

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #764 of 1,138
Can you buy a DC iPurifier?  I've been looking for one all over - iFi said Jan '16 release.

BTW I use a TeraDak X1 on my Regen.  I recapped it with totl Panasonic FR 1600uf caps  - made a nice improvement in the sound.  Only cost $15.  Unfortunately TeraDak use those crappy el-cheapo gray Chinese caps.\

I found one DC iPurifier seller on eBay, but that's it.

Thanks for the caps tip! Would you mind linking me to an Amazon.com listing or some such? I must admit I'm not entirely sure what part you're referring to or where I might get it.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #765 of 1,138
  Someone posted this statement over on my Gustard U12 thread - I wonder if the Uptone folks have any comment on the Regen adding noise on the USB feed?

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18580-Science-Thread-Review-of-Audioquest-Jitterbug-and-Uptone-Regen-USB-Conditioners&highlight=science+thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back