UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Sep 25, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #466 of 1,138
After 10 day's testing with 2 Jitterbugs I removed them because there was something wrong with the sound.  No details and fatiguing/harsh sounds.  When I removed the 2 Jitterbugs the sound was again extremely good with the REGEN. 

How did you use the Jitterbugs?

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #467 of 1,138
How did you use the Jitterbugs?

1 Jitterbug in the USB-port of my Shuttle PC (music server) and then via a Supra USB cable to my REGEN. A second Jitterbug in a open parallel USB port on my Shuttle PC. Exactly like Audioquest suggests to do.  The Jitterbug in or out the open USB port did not make any difference. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #468 of 1,138
Just out of curiousity. Have anyone compared the AQ Jitterbug to the IFI iPurifier on this thread? I have'nt tried the JB but have great experiance with iPurifier. Even with iPurifier I did experianced some initial "burn-in" issues that dissapeared after some time. IMO the sound seattled after a week or two and became more analougue. I have been using it for several years now and been very happy with it. As far as I can see the JB have the same features...except iPurifier having better quality build. Anyone on this thread that have tried them both? Any difference between them?

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #469 of 1,138

After 10 day's testing with 2 Jitterbugs I removed them because there was something wrong with the sound.  No details and fatiguing/harsh sounds.  When I removed the 2 Jitterbugs the sound was again extremely good with the REGEN. 

I only have one Jitterbug, but this is what I'm noticing, too. I was not performing blind testing, but at this point I'm 90% sure the Jitterbug is producing changes that I dislike. And if it counts, I had this opinion of the Jitterbug before I read your post and other critical posts.

I researched a little, and someone on another audiophile forum had this to say:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/audioquest-jitterbug-vs-uptone-regen-24407/index6.html#post455533

Audio maverick, Alan Maher has retracted his recommendation of the Audioquest Jitterbug after a second listen. He said of the Jitterbug "… it thins out the bass because it restricts buss power to the USB cable by adding resistance..... When the USB buss power voltage is slightly on the low side USB tonally sounds weak with thin bass (not rolled off) with a crisp or over exaggerated upper midrange."
Come to think of it, the Regen affects the bass range but adding resistance to the USB ground.

I have no idea if this is accurate from a technical perspective. However, subjectively, that is what I'm hearing; thinner bass and emphasized upper mids and highs. Some songs sound a bit more "screechy" with the Jitterbug.

He speculates the Regen might do the same thing (though without a subjective review of it). Personally, I have not heard thinner bass with it; the bass actually sounds a bit tighter with more "attack", though not more amplified.

I'm not going to experiment with the Jitterbug any longer. The Regen suits my needs perfectly. Maybe it's possible the JB actually is removing jitter, and this is how the music is genuinely supposed to sound, but if it is, then I'm perfectly happy with a less accurate but more enjoyable representation.

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #471 of 1,138

I only have one Jitterbug, but this is what I'm noticing, too. I was not performing blind testing, but at this point I'm 90% sure the Jitterbug is producing changes that I dislike. And if it counts, I had this opinion of the Jitterbug before I read your post and other critical posts.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/audioquest-jitterbug-vs-uptone-regen-24407/index6.html#post455533

Audio maverick, Alan Maher has retracted his recommendation of the Audioquest Jitterbug after a second listen. He said of the Jitterbug "… it thins out the bass because it restricts buss power to the USB cable by adding resistance..... When the USB buss power voltage is slightly on the low side USB tonally sounds weak with thin bass (not rolled off) with a crisp or over exaggerated upper midrange."
Come to think of it, the Regen affects the bass range but adding resistance to the USB ground.

I have no idea if this is accurate from a technical perspective. However, subjectively, that is what I'm hearing; thinner bass and emphasized upper mids and highs. Some songs sound a bit more "screechy" with the Jitterbug.

He speculates the Regen might do the same thing (though without a subjective review of it). Personally, I have not heard thinner bass with it; the bass actually sounds a bit tighter with more "attack", though not more amplified.

I'm not going to experiment with the Jitterbug any longer. The Regen suits my needs perfectly. Maybe it's possible the JB actually is removing jitter, and this is how the music is genuinely supposed to sound, but if it is, then I'm perfectly happy with a less accurate but more enjoyable representation.

I just read the next post responding to the post you quoted.  I just got my AQJB yesterday, and I think I'm still going to try it out.  Maybe it's just as well my HPs have a good bass already.  Thanks for your opinions; it'll be something to watch for.

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #472 of 1,138
Hi Everyone,

I'm a little late to the game, but I just updated my Yggdrasil review (see my sig) with a few of my experiences with the REGEN. Re-posting in this thread in case you're only interested in the REGEN:

Addendum (09/2015): USB REGEN Update

Given all the recent praise bestowed on this new device, I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of my USB REGEN from UpTone Audio. I placed my order for the REGEN at the end of June and received it last month. After adding it to my Yggdrasil, I immediately noticed improvements in three areas - bass reproduction, soundstage size, and overall presentation. In this brief update, I'll describe how the REGEN performed in each of these areas, then conclude with a recommendation.

I enjoy solid, fast subterranean bass which is why I've always matched all of my speaker systems with a subwoofer. I found this is one area where the REGEN can produce immediately noticeable results as long as the right recording is used. On Solar Sailor from the Tron soundtrack, the track contains fundamentals that go down to 20Hz with additional strong peaks around 45Hz. With the REGEN, the bass on this track is produced with notably more weight giving the impression of a larger sense of space. Without the REGEN, the bass has less authority resulting in a less immersive experience.

What also became apparent, was the REGEN's ability to extend the decay of music with natural or artificial reverberation. The amount of additional reverberation added ranged from audibly subtle to immediately noticeable depending on the recording. When present, this allows you to hear (and almost see) more deeply into the recording. The REGEN also provides a greater sense of space around instruments and imaging became more precise. The result of added reverberation and improved imaging is a larger, more open and spacious soundstage.

Lastly, and what I found most enjoyable, the overall presentation of the music became more relaxed. The REGEN added a certain richness to the sound. As a result, recordings of horns, strings, vocals or cymbals that normally sound hot or edgy, were soften such that I could listen at higher than normal levels and still enjoy the music. Initially, I thought the REGEN was softening the attack of instruments and vocals. But as I spent more time with the REGEN, I discovered the REGEN produced a richer, much more fuller sound that balanced (rather than diminished) the sound of the attack. It was this balance that gave the illusion of softening, or smoothing, the sound. For example, without the REGEN, the leading edge of cymbals have a thinner metallic sound that, although is realistic, is ultimately not as satisfying as the relaxed, richer sound provided with the REGEN.

It's also important to mention that all of the differences previously noted, especially those concerning soundstage and imaging, were easily more apparent when listening to speakers than with headphones.

Summary

After having spent several weeks listening to the REGEN/Yggy combination with a wide variety of music on both headphones and speakers (but mostly with speakers), I've come to the conclusion that the incremental improvements provided by the REGEN are worth the relatively modest price of admission. You may draw a difference conclusion based on whether you spend the majority of time listening to headphones or speakers.

If you are looking to improve the performance of your Yggy, I would strongly suggest spending some time with a REGEN to see if you enjoy the results. You might find the REGEN gives the Yggy (or even other DACs) a reasonable boost in performance at a modest cost.

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #473 of 1,138
I just read the next post responding to the post you quoted.  I just got my AQJB yesterday, and I think I'm still going to try it out.  Maybe it's just as well my HPs have a good bass already.  Thanks for your opinions; it'll be something to watch for.
A thinner bass is really the only noticeable thing the Jitterbug does for me, indeed :/

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #474 of 1,138
Just out of curiousity. Have anyone compared the AQ Jitterbug to the IFI iPurifier on this thread? I have'nt tried the JB but have great experiance with iPurifier. Even with iPurifier I did experianced some initial "burn-in" issues that dissapeared after some time. IMO the sound seattled after a week or two and became more analougue. I have been using it for several years now and been very happy with it. As far as I can see the JB have the same features...except iPurifier having better quality build. Anyone on this thread that have tried them both? Any difference between them?
I've ordered an iPurifier (along with an iUSB Power Supply, and an iFi Mercury cable) and I have a Jitterbug and Wyrd. Sure am eager to get my hands on a Regen, but preorder will have to do!

I'll be reporting my impressions and how they stack :)

By the way, has anyone found inserting the Jitterbug into an adjacent USB slot to do anything at all?

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #475 of 1,138
I've ordered an iPurifier (along with an iUSB Power Supply, and an iFi Mercury cable) and I have a Jitterbug and Wyrd. Sure am eager to get my hands on a Regen, but preorder will have to do!

I'll be reporting my impressions and how they stack :)

By the way, has anyone found inserting the Jitterbug into an adjacent USB slot to do anything at all?

Thanks. Would be interesting to hear your impressions! :) I am thinking of buying the Jitterbug and add it in a emty USB slot or before my wirless USB mouse dongle.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #477 of 1,138

I have had the same experience with the JB as you have had, and found my music to sound quite flat and dull when using one in a chain with a REGEN. The JB is gone for good now, sacrificed to the Recycling Gods.

I have to say that my purchase of the JB was based more on the hype and low cost (try it, it's cheap), rather than my own intuition of what makes sense. I won't be making that mistake again.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #480 of 1,138
  There are measurements of the REGEN and JB and much discussion going on at WBF.

Gives me pause.

Seems much of the discussion is about whether the measurements Amirm performed are valid for the Regen.  Back to the same old arguments of "if it can't be measured, there can't possibly be a audible difference" vs "there is an audible difference, but we don't know how to measure what we hear" vs "there is a measurable difference, but is it audible?"

I guess one has to make their own evaluation as to which camp is correct.  Or pick one up and decide for your self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back