UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Sep 8, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #391 of 1,138

Please note that my USB Regen gets pretty hot when operated at 9V - which is the highest voltage UpTone Audio recommends when the USB Regen is supplying 5V power to a USB-powered DAC.  

If your DAC is not USB-powered, such that the USB Regen is only powering itself, the maximum supply voltage is 12V.

So...  If you intend to use the USB Regen with a USB-powered DAC or DAC/amp, I strongly recommend getting an LPS that can operate closer to 6.5V, instead of 9V.   Hint:  Ask the seller at that eBay link if he can reduce the output voltage.

See my earlier post, where I measured temperatures with and without a heat sink applied:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen/240#post_11813706

Mike

I asked the seller and they can set the LPS to 7V or 8V, just need to specify when ordering.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141503525422

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #392 of 1,138

I asked the seller and they can set the LPS to 7V or 8V, just need to specify when ordering.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141503525422

Excellent!  I'd go with 7V for the USB Regen.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #393 of 1,138
Thank you Technobear for your help. I will go with your input.

I recently picked up an iFi iDSD Micro that I'm currently trying with a USB REGEN. technobear provided a good zero cost solution for connecting the REGEN. I chose to spend a little (less than $5) and go with a solid male to female Type A USB 2.0 adapter to minimize the signal path and reduce the number of physical connections between the REGEN and the iDSD (see pics below). I elected to go with this approach based on Alex's comments from his following post.

I am not saying you shouldn't use the Jitterbug--it may prove complementary to the REGEN.  I am just saying to be sure not to use it AFTER the REGEN.  The REGEN and some short adaptor or really good short USB cable should be things closest to the DAC.

I do, however, question the quality of these adapters, as the first one I ordered from a vendor on Amazon did not work. A second adapter I ordered from ShowMeCables.com did work.

Also note when using a solid adapter with the REGEN/iDSD combo, there is a need for additional connectors in order to use the rear analog RCA jacks. As you can see from the picture, 90 degree RCA adapters are required due to the limited clearance when the REGEN is connected. I'm using a pair of AudioQuest 90 degree RCA connectors that I had on hand. So far, I like the improvements the REGEN brings to the system.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #394 of 1,138

I recently picked up an iFi iDSD Micro that I'm currently trying with a USB REGEN. technobear provided a good zero cost solution for connecting the REGEN. I chose to spend a little (less than $5) and go with a solid male to female Type A USB 2.0 adapter to minimize the signal path and reduce the number of physical connections between the REGEN and the iDSD (see pics below). I elected to go with this approach based on Alex's comments from his following post.

I do, however, question the quality of these adapters, as the first one I ordered from a vendor on Amazon did not work. A second adapter I ordered from ShowMeCables.com did work.

Also note when using a solid adapter with the REGEN/iDSD combo, there is a need for additional connectors in order to use the rear analog RCA jacks. As you can see from the picture, 90 degree RCA adapters are required due to the limited clearance when the REGEN is connected. I'm using a pair of AudioQuest 90 degree RCA connectors that I had on hand. So far, I like the improvements the REGEN brings to the system.

The look satisfies. Nice.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #395 of 1,138
Jazzfan,
Thank you for your time in responding to me. The photos are not only helpfull but great pics!
The adaptor is exactly what I am looking for, and thanks for the input on the 90 degree RCA adaptors also.
I am planning on using a Jitterbug in this set up as well. I love the Jitterbug as I think it is a great addition for the price. I am using a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable. If you come across a higher grade type USB addaptor, I would sure appreciate knowing about it. For now, I plan on ordering the adaptor you previously mentioned to keep the REGEN as close to the DAC as they advised, (UPTONE AUDIO)

Thank you for the info!

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #396 of 1,138
Is there a right-angle adapter type A to type B to use with Regen? I know it comes with a short USB cable, but still a small 90° adapter would be preferable.
Tks.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #398 of 1,138
I have searched for a right angle usb typa a to type b adapter and did not find any, Amazon included. Can you send me a link to one?

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #399 of 1,138
I have searched for a right angle usb typa a to type b adapter and did not find any, Amazon included. Can you send me a link to one?

You might have to do a multi-part adapter, with a right angle A to A or B to B as well as an A to B. Less than ideal, but might be the reality. However, there might be a unicorn out there! 

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #400 of 1,138
Has anyone tried using a Regen with a portable unit like the CDM or such? Would need to include an adapter to micro USB. Clearly wouldn't use the Regen when using the CDM as a portable, but as a transportable it could be useful. Cheers

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #401 of 1,138
I found some right angle and extension adaptors off Amazon for mine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VE2R0EW

Question for anyone else using a Regen: after your computer wakes up from sleep, does it still recognize your DAC?

I have to power-cycle my Geek Pulse for my computer to recognize it again, which I would prefer not to do.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #402 of 1,138
Looking forward of a comparision of this versus USB 3.0 from ifi, which is the new thing they are going to release.
Supposly its an all in one... regen+wyrd+audioquest jitterbug+ifi usb 1.
Hope the price is competitive. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #403 of 1,138

US$399 (Euro445)  2.28 times the $175 price of the REGEN (2.84 times in Europe).  Plus one still needs a second USB from their box to the DAC, as opposed to mounting just an inch or so away from the DACs input.  
I may sound good though.  Thorsten is a sharp engineer.   I just figured I'd share some facts early.

Oh thats cool information, i actually thought it would be more expensive. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #405 of 1,138
  Look what arrived today.  

Oh dear, isn't there any way you can avoid using the dreadful sounding "emergency" 6-inch USB cable we include with the REGEN?  Not only does the solid adaptor do a better job at preserving the improved signal integrity and impedance match (two of the REGEN's key functions), but I find that 6" cable to introduce harshness.  I do see you have a tight fit there, but maybe you can search around for some other adaptors or a better-sounding short cable.
Do give the REGEN some break-in/warm-up time and enjoy it.  Just know that if you hear anything harsh in the highs it is coming from that 6" cable.  We are working on a solution to this for the future (a non-cable cable), but the tooling costs are high and the lead times long for what we are trying to do, so it won't be until next year.

Thanks again for your purchase.
Regards,
Alex Crespi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back