UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Sep 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #376 of 1,138
Thanks Mike ( @Zilch0md ) for your very informative explanation!

I will wait and order the upcoming add-on adapter from UpTone later this year.

Mike: Do you also know how much gain i get with two Regen's used in series against one ? Is it a subtile difference, or do we get even more liquidity to the sound?

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #377 of 1,138
The September shipments are going out, mine shipped today 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #378 of 1,138
Thanks Mike ( @Zilch0md ) for your very informative explanation!

I will wait and order the upcoming add-on adapter from UpTone later this year.

Mike: Do you also know how much gain i get with two Regen's used in series against one ? Is it a subtile difference, or do we get even more liquidity to the sound?

I've not tried stacking two of them myself, but there are well over one hundred people out there who have two USB Regens, and of those who have reported their impressions at computeraudiophile, the consensus seems to be that you will enjoy at least 25% as much of the very same improvements you enjoy with one USB Regen.  So, in a way, the 2nd Regen will cost you four times as much, in terms of bang-for-the-buck.

My take away is that if the impact to your system is really big with the first Regen, second Regen might be easily justifiable, but if your first Regen only has a small impact - for you, personally - then you might not even be able to detect the impact of a second Regen. 

I'm nevertheless convinced, from the majority consensus, that I'll eventually have to try a second USB Regen, because the first Regen was dramatically effective for me - switching it out after a couple of weeks was a big eye-opener.  

But I'm such a tight wad at heart, it seems a shame to spoil the massive bang-for-the-buck factor I'm currently enjoying, having spent only $175 for a single Regen. So, I'm pacing myself.  (As I wait for an Audioquest Jitterbug to arrive!)

biggrin.gif

Mike

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #379 of 1,138
Thanks i order one more and connect them before i hear them separately, so then the impact will get so high it could, then to upcoming Uptone add-ons adapters later on
combined with the chord dave.

Have to sound like good:wink:

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #380 of 1,138

Quoting your manufacturer's FAQ page at http://schiit.com/products/gungnir:

In other words, your AC-powered Gungnir relies on an external source for 5V DC power to operate its USB receiver. This means that the power for the Gungnir's USB input will have to come from the USB Regen and this, in turn, means that you do not want to exceed 9V, because there are two voltage regulator inside the USB Regen, one that supplies 5V power to DACs that need it and another that supplies 3.3V to the USB Regen's own circuits. The higher the supply voltage the hotter these two voltage regulators will get as they convert the excess voltage into heat.

9V is is high as you should go when using a DAC that pulls 5V power from the USB Regen, and I can tell you that your Regen will get very warm even at 9V - hot enough that it really appreciates my use of the heat sink I pictured in the post I referenced above.  

It is possible to supply the USB Regen with as little as 5V, even when the DAC pulls power from the USB Regen - it will run cooler and thus, the components will last a few more years, perhaps, than they would at 9V - who knows for sure (?), but heat is the enemy of longevity. The ideal voltage in my mind is something around 6V or 6.5V when using a USB-powered DAC

Given that UpTone Audio will be offering (in October?) an accessory for the USB Regen's included 7.5V SMPS, an accessory that will provide extremely clean, noise-free power to the USB Regen, I would avoid spending a lot of money on a LPS right now, unless you know you'll have some other use for it later.  In the interim, if you just want to make a quick improvement over using the SMPS, I would recommend this, affordable EI-core LPS, which I've had for several years, for use with DACs that will pull power from the Regen, because you can adjust the output voltage yourself by turning an adjustment screw inside.  I've got mine adjusted to 6.5V:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-external-Linear-Power-Supply-/301694857782

As mscot58 has posted, the Hugo is self-powered, so you can feed the USB Regen with as much as 12V, but keep in mind that, the Regen's 3.3V regulator will have to create more heat with the higher voltage. A 5V LPS would allow the Regen to run much cooler than a 12V LPS, even when the DAC is self-powered.   mscott58's use of a 0.5 Amp (500 mA) tap on his 12V LPS4, is fine because the USB Regen itself only draws something like 40 mA, but if he was also trying to power a 500mA USB DAC, that tap might not supply enough current for both the DAC and the Regen itself, in addition to overheating the Regen due to running at 12V.  

Again, 12V is the maximum voltage permissible for the Regen when using a DAC that is self-powered - no harm will come to the Regen at 12V, according to UpTone Audio, but a lower voltage would allow it to run cooler and thus, last longer.   

A few months ago, there was a brief rally of posts in the USB Regen thread at computeraudiophile about whether or not a higher voltage improves sound quality, but the consensus quickly squelched that notion. The vast majority of users would agree with my interpretation of mscott58's conservative position that running at 12V does not, in and of itself, improve sound quality.  Noisy power is your enemy.

-----

I would again recommend that everyone who doesn't already have an LPS for some other purpose, just use the included 7.5V SMPS, while waiting for the October (?) release of UpTone Audio's new accessory - that promises to provide ultra-clean power to the Regen.  

For more on the voltage requirements, minimums and maximums, here is the UpTone Audio FAQ page for the USB Regen:  

http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/usb-regen-questions-and-answers

Mike

How about schiit yggdrasil?

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #382 of 1,138
Why stop at 4?

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #385 of 1,138
  i've noticed 4 regens in series really ups the sound quality

Oh, come on!  
biggrin.gif

Why stop at 4?

LOL

If a second USB Regen offers 25% of the improvement had with the first, a third USB Regen would offer only 6.25% of the improvement offered by the first, and a fourth USB Regen only 1.6%.  

But maybe we should keep going until our expectation bias is fully exhausted! Only then can true contentment be achieved.  
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I have no problem believing that people are hearing real improvements when adding a second USB Regen. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #388 of 1,138
Hi everyone,

Question, I have ordered a Regen and I will be using it with an ifi micro IDSD DAC, the input is a USB 2.0 type A “OTG” Socket. Is anybody familer with this set up or know if the
adaptor that is shipped with it will connect the Regen directly to the IDSD DAC, or do I need to purchase an adaptor. I ask this so I can use it right away when it arives, about the middle of this month. This way I can order or have an addaptor made now, if it is needed. I read the forums a lot, but this is my first time posting/asking for help. My work and schedule does not give me much time to do this. I will give my profile as soon as I am able too. Here is info on the DAC that I will be using the Regen with. http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/

Thank you

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #389 of 1,138
Hi everyone,

Question, I have ordered a Regen and I will be using it with an ifi micro IDSD DAC, the input is a USB 2.0 type A “OTG” Socket. Is anybody familer with this set up or know if the
adaptor that is shipped with it will connect the Regen directly to the IDSD DAC, or do I need to purchase an adaptor. I ask this so I can use it right away when it arives, about the middle of this month. This way I can order or have an addaptor made now, if it is needed. I read the forums a lot, but this is my first time posting/asking for help. My work and schedule does not give me much time to do this. I will give my profile as soon as I am able too. Here is info on the DAC that I will be using the Regen with. http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/

Thank you

You will need the adaptor that comes with the Regen and the adaptor that comes with the micro iDSD. Just plug them together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back