UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Jul 12, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #166 of 1,138
I wonder if you could use one of the power output taps from the Geek LPS4? It's 12V and has taps that are either 0.5A or 1.2A max. 

Sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #167 of 1,138
Thanks so much Mike for that detailed reply, New to this computer audio stuff (just finished playing LPs). The $925 per supply is getting a bit steep (already considering a similar power supply upgrade for my MicroZOTL amp). Sounds like the best option is to wait for UpTone's solution.

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #168 of 1,138
Which brand & type of SD card ?

If I remember correctly, you had an original green Regen like me (hope I got that right) ... has your amber upgrade board for the Regen arrived ?

*** Side note to minimise any confusion to other readers of this thread ... the first 100 early adopters had "Green" Regen in April 2015 (???) ... the Regen was further tweaked to have an "Amber" LED with further significant improvements by adding several capacitors and such (roughly said to be about 40% better).     The early adopters were well taken care of .... very generously in fact ... with a fair & just deal  (to the consumer) by UpTone Audio ... who charged a very small amount for us early adopters to get the "latest & greatest" and we still got to keep the original "Green" Regen to do with what we want.    Short answer .... we were very fairly treated ... outstanding in fact ... by UpTone Audio.    Oh,  all the Regens shipping have been amber for a very long time now,  it was just us rabid early adopters who got the version with the green LED.    
Really short answer ... don't worry, if you are buying or have already bought a Regen, it is the amber version. ***

Not sure why I made comment to an SD card regarding a Sony phone as they can obviously take them.
Anyway, I bought a Sandisk 64GB Micro SDXC Extreme card 60MB/s. Handy to have the extra speed as I'm always writing to it and copying from it, not just reading from it.

My Regen is an Amber, although I have been in this thread since the near start, so that may be reason for confusion. :) I was in the first Amber batch.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #169 of 1,138
I wonder if you could use one of the power output taps from the Geek LPS4? It's 12V and has taps that are either 0.5A or 1.2A max. 

Sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread.

1.2A at 12V would be OK only if the Regen is being used with a DAC that does not pull power from the Regen.

If you have a USB-powered DAC or DAC/amp, the Regen must be supplied with no more than 9V (to prevent it from overheating).

Mike

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #171 of 1,138
So it's a twice pricier Schiit Wyrd with a SMPS, what's the point?

They're really quite different products. The Wyrd's primary (perhaps entire - not certain) focus is clean USB power. The Regen's is clean USB power and signal integrity. Both attempt to achieve the same thing (a better USB audio output) but one does it far better than the other. Close to double the price, but anyone having tried both will tell you that the factor of improvement between the two is greater than the factor of price difference.

All in all, the point is an improved listening experience and good value for money at the same time.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #172 of 1,138
Oh, some ppl have compared them in this thread? Wyrd injects a linear PSU using an excellent VR and reclocks the USB signal using a USB repeating chip, exactly like Regen as far as I can see on its PCB.

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #173 of 1,138
Oh, some ppl have compared them in this thread? Wyrd injects a linear PSU using an excellent VR and reclocks the USB signal using a USB repeating chip, exactly like Regen as far as I can see on its PCB.

I know that jexby has both and made some comparisons over at CA, not sure if he did it here too. Hopefully he can chime in though if he hasn't and give a good run down. I've seen some other comparisons around so if I can recall/stumble upon them, I'll post them up.

I don't have both on hand, but a friend of mine has the Wyrd. I tried it a few months back and it was good, but I prefer the Regen. Having said that, it's really not much to go by as the time between trying both was over a month apart. I'll have to invite him around for a few beers and put them head to head. :)

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #174 of 1,138
Nothing like a few beers to get a good, detailed evaluation!! :D

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #176 of 1,138
I tried with few different ones (signalcable, pangea, nordost) but differences were very minimal. Now when I hooked up this SMPS from the wall receptacle (JPS labs) To the PLC Thingee power conditioner, sound improved noticeably cleaner with better definitions. I also tried to power ReGen with li-po Battery, but found it looses dynamic and details.

I heard some ebay chinese LPS made good improvements so I may try that route next.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #177 of 1,138
1.2A at 12V would be OK only if the Regen is being used with a DAC that does not pull power from the Regen.

If you have a USB-powered DAC or DAC/amp, the Regen must be supplied with no more than 9V (to prevent it from overheating).

Mike

For anyone who has tried the LPS as a power source for the Regen, where did you get the appropriate power cable? The LPS connector is a bit unique. Thanks!

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #178 of 1,138
For anyone who has tried the LPS as a power source for the Regen, where did you get the appropriate power cable? The LPS connector is a bit unique. Thanks!

The TeraDak X1/X2 LPS includes a power cable that works perfectly with the Regen - no mods required.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-external-Linear-Power-Supply-/301656560256

But you might want to just use the Regen's SMPS while you wait for UpTone's mystery device....

:D

Mike

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #179 of 1,138
The TeraDak X1/X2 LPS includes a power cable that works perfectly with the Regen - no mods required.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-external-Linear-Power-Supply-/301656560256

But you might want to just use the Regen's SMPS while you wait for UpTone's mystery device....

:D

Mike

Thanks Mike, but was wondering about the Geek LPS. Cheers

...and in doing more research the cables for the Geek LPS end in a standard 2.1 mm/5.5mm round plug, so hopefully that will work on the Regen!

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #180 of 1,138
Thanks Mike, but was wondering about the Geek LPS. Cheers

...and in doing more research the cables for the Geek LPS end in a standard 2.1 mm/5.5mm round plug, so hopefully that will work on the Regen!

Cables aside, there could be a problem with using the Geek LPS:  The Geek LPS output choices are 5V (which isn't enough volts to satisfy the USB Regen) and 12V (which might be too high a voltage).  

The USB Regen needs...

.... a minimum of 6V to a maximum of 9V (for DACs or DAC/amps that will pull power from the Regen's USB output).  So:  Do not use the Geek LPS 12V output if the DAC or DAC/amp pulls power from the Regen.

-OR-  

... a minimum of 6V to a maximum of 12V (for DACs or DAC/amps that will NOT pull power from the Regen's output.)  So: The Geek LPS 12V output would be OK, as long as no power is pulled from the Regen.    

The lower the voltage the better (down to a minimum of 6V)  in terms of reducing heat generated inside the USB Regen (and less heat equates to longer life.) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back