UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Mar 21, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #901 of 1,138
  So last night I decided to change cables around a bit. Not sure why I didn't try this before. Usually I try everything. I only had one good USB cable. The Audioquest Carbon. I had that feeding the Regen. And the cheap 6" after the Regen. I decided to reverse them. It was a HUGE improvement. Everything was incredibly more dynamic. Instrument separation is razor sharp. Super taut and fast bass. I thought it was great before but wow it was like I got a new DAC. The power and effortlessness was incredible.  

It's strange because when I first got the Carbon with no Regen it's a nice rounded improvement. Same thing with putting it before the Regen compared to typical USB wires. Just a nice rounded improvement. But now putting it after the Regen it's a massive improvement. (and the jitterbug is still the first piece in the chain)

Late last night I had to go and order another Audiquest carbon to use before the Regen so I have a carbon wire on both ends now (should be here tomorrow). I gotta tell you that is an impressive USB cable too. Wish I could pull the trigger on the all silver Diamond cable. But I can't bring myself to do it. And I have to say these modded nuforce reference amps are ridiculously fast and powerful. I don't think any other amps compare to their dynamics and power. I think I'm really seeing them shine like they should without being held back by how bad stock USB is. 

Just one more piece to add to the chain. The Ifi ipower. Which is still out of stock everywhere fore some reason in the states. After that I'll have almost $550 in just my USB implementation. Which is crazy thinking I was skeptical and reluctant to just buy my original Carbon wire when I started looking into USB. Now I feel it's the best money spent. Although now I wonder why I'm using USB at all and maybe just didn't pick up an optical cable instead and maybe bypassed all the bad USB issues altogether. Now I wonder if I would have had this great sound from the start had I done that instead, and for a lot cheaper. Could it had been better just using optical?

Wait,what DAC are you using here and you are hearing better sound placing a longer USB cord between Regen and DAC?
Should be better sound with a shorter cord between Regen and DAC.
BTW, AQ Diamond is worth listening to once or twice, just so you have a reference point.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #902 of 1,138

Wait,what DAC are you using here and you are hearing better sound placing a longer USB cord between Regen and DAC?
Should be better sound with a shorter cord between Regen and DAC.
BTW, AQ Diamond is worth listening to once or twice, just so you have a reference point.

Nuforce DAC 9. 

Shorter cables should always be better but not when the shorter cable is not even remotely as good of quality. The carbon wire even though being longer is probably just a far better conductor and less resistance, especially with the silver they use in the wire. Trust me I tried it and bought different short lengths of USB cables to try and beat it out and try in different places. I have the shortest carbon you can get too. It's not really to long anyway. The carbon is just far superior in quality and build. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #903 of 1,138
  Nuforce DAC 9. 

Shorter cables should always be better but not when the shorter cable is not even remotely as good of quality. The carbon wire even though being longer is probably just a far better conductor and less resistance, especially with the silver they use in the wire. Trust me I tried it and bought different short lengths of USB cables to try and beat it out and try in different places. I have the shortest carbon you can get too. It's not really to long anyway. The carbon is just far Superior. 

The best sound should be your source to your short AQ Carbon, to Regen, then to the male/male USB A/B solid adapter plug UpTone Audio includes, connected to the Nuforce DAC.

I have tried various combinations, including 0.75m AQ Diamond from source to Regen, then aforementioned stub to DAC as well as Curious Cables Regen connector to DAC.  This combination is noticeably quieter, more impacting and holographic than just straight AQ Diamond.  I may even dare to say the Regen combo is nearly as good as Crystal Cables Dreamline USB.
I am waiting for more Curious Cables to test with Regen at the moment.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #904 of 1,138

The best sound should be your source to your short AQ Carbon, to Regen, then to the male/male USB A/B solid adapter plug UpTone Audio includes, connected to the Nuforce DAC.

I have tried various combinations, including 0.75m AQ Diamond from source to Regen, then aforementioned stub to DAC as well as Curious Cables Regen connector to DAC.  This combination is noticeably quieter, more impacting and holographic than just straight AQ Diamond.  I may even dare to say the Regen combo is nearly as good as Crystal Cables Dreamline USB.
I am waiting for more Curious Cables to test with Regen at the moment.

I tried the hard adapter. But it was causing problems. Either with the adapter or from the weight of everything sticking out the back. I was getting this really bizarre sound that was super soft and muted sound with no dynamics at all. It hangs out the back and pulls to hard on the DAC input and kind of bends it down at an slight angle. It can't be good for it and I think it causes the contacts to not seat right. I don't have any place to try to hold it up either as it hangs out the back of the shelf, and don't like it that way anyway. So I prefer having a wire and setting the Regen where I want on the shelf.

From reading on here it seemed people slightly liked the hard adapter better than the short USB cable, and then others say that wires like the curious are even better than the hard adapter. So I think the carbon seems about right to sound better than the hard adapter when comparing what others tried. But mine sounds more dramatic an improvement even than they seemed to have gotten. But maybe it's just my amps and speakers are able to realize even more of the gains from an upgraded wire after the regen than others, I don't know. The dynamics, power, and speed, is lightning fast using this carbon after the Regen.  I can't emphasize enough how fast these nuforce amps are too. They are switching amps that take control of speakers with authority like I've never seen in any other amp I've ever owned.  And on top of that I have no crossovers in my speakers since they are full range drivers, which gives a ridiculous cohesion and realism to music. I really think all that seems to allow me to see every bit of improvement in using a good wire like the carbon after the regen, maybe perhaps even more than others got. Either way in the end all that matters is the improvements in my own system, and it was a vastly better improvement. It should be nice when my other carbon wire gets here tomorrow to put in before the Regen. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #905 of 1,138

Good feedback - have you tried it after the Regen?

Well finally received the iPurifier2 and the DC iPurifier.  Very nice.  I have to say I really like what the iPurifier2 does between the Regen and PUC 2 Lite DDC(I know this is sacrilege)  I'm using a the data only leg of a Lightspeed 2G split USB cable from the PC - with a Jitterbug at the PC end (modded to a VBUS +5VDC blocker).

The iPurifier2 needs a power feed as it reclocks the USB data stream - now getting it from the ultra low noise regulated Regen/LPS.  This works great as using the iPur2 in front of the Regen is a no go for me as the 2G data leg only/JB VBUS blocker have no power from the PC.

The iPur2 added greater clarity to an already amazing sound - a bit more natural ease to the music.  Blacker background - with greater detail and transparency.  Really sounding great.

Added the DC iPurifier between the TeraDak DC30W LPS (set for 7VDC) and the Regen power feed - another nice improvement.  The TeraDak is using the excellent Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme power cord - connected to an Art Audio PB4x4 Pro dedicated AC common and differential mode line filter and isolator - this is plugged into an Audience aR1p power conditioner at the wall socket (Teslaplex).

Each step in AC line filtering and USB filtering has added great clarity, focus and detail - this recreating a larger, deeper more realistic sound stage.  All the while added to the natural tonal richness and smoothness.  Just a wonder ease to the music - the best I have heard yet!

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #906 of 1,138
Each step in AC line filtering and USB filtering has added great clarity, focus and detail - this recreating a larger, deeper more realistic sound stage.  All the while added to the natural tonal richness and smoothness.  Just a wonder ease to the music - the best I have heard yet!

I second that- now waiting for the last missing link- true audio USB high speed isolator.:thumbsup:

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #907 of 1,138
I second that- now waiting for the last missing link- true audio USB high speed isolator.:thumbsup:

Check this out - I have on it's way to me as we speak:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803111/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived

Singxer USB bridge based on the latest generation of XMOS 200 processors - using the XU208 1000MIPS chip.

But in addition to that uses a unique CPLD Xilinx isolation scheme:

1. Full isolation technology, 150Mbps full-chip isolation, interference can be completely isolated from the PC; 

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #908 of 1,138
Good to hear, is that galvanic isolation?

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #909 of 1,138

Well finally received the iPurifier2 and the DC iPurifier.  Very nice.  I have to say I really like what the iPurifier2 does between the Regen and PUC 2 Lite DDC(I know this is sacrilege)  I'm using a the data only leg of a Lightspeed 2G split USB cable from the PC - with a Jitterbug at the PC end (modded to a VBUS +5VDC blocker).

The iPurifier2 needs a power feed as it reclocks the USB data stream - now getting it from the ultra low noise regulated Regen/LPS.  This works great as using the iPur2 in front of the Regen is a no go for me as the 2G data leg only/JB VBUS blocker have no power from the PC.

The iPur2 added greater clarity to an already amazing sound - a bit more natural ease to the music.  Blacker background - with greater detail and transparency.  Really sounding great.

Added the DC iPurifier between the TeraDak DC30W LPS (set for 7VDC) and the Regen power feed - another nice improvement.  The TeraDak is using the excellent Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme power cord - connected to an Art Audio PB4x4 Pro dedicated AC common and differential mode line filter and isolator - this is plugged into an Audience aR1p power conditioner at the wall socket (Teslaplex).

How does this setup all look?

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #911 of 1,138
  How does this setup all look?

For the USB data stream:
PC>JB (Modded to a VBUS Blocker)>LH Labs 2G split USB cable (data leg only)>Regen>Regen hard adapter>iPurifer2>DDC

Power feed to the Regen's external power port:
Wall Socket (Teslaplex)>Audience aR1p (AC line conditioner/rebalancer)>Art Audio PB4X4 Pro(common and differential mode AC line filtering and isolation)>Cerious Tech Graphene power cable>TeraDak DC-30W R-Core LPS>DC iPurifier>Regen power input (2.5mm cable).

Two things I would like to try:
1)Curious Regen 6" USB cable in place of the Regen hard adapter
2)W4S Recovery in place of the Regen - but this may not work as I understand the Recovery requires a USB power handshake - even when powered by it's own 9VDC ext power port.  Right now between the JB modded +5VDC VBUS blocer and data only leg of the 2G cable - absolutely no USB power.  I could connect the power leg of the 2G to an external power source for the handshake - but that kind defeats the 'purity' of the clean USB powerless cable (possible power interference at the USB head connector).

Note absolutely no need for the Isotona - since the ground is severed as well at the JB (pins 1 and 4 cut).  Additionally the iPurifier2 isolates the ground - but not
galvanically​
.  The Isotona needs to be USB powered. - so again defeats the purpose of the 'pure' power free, data only, feed from the USB.

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #912 of 1,138
"1. Full isolation technology, 150Mbps full-chip isolation, interference can be completely isolated from the PC;"

Shouldn't it be 480mbps for USB 2 high speed?

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #913 of 1,138
Originally Posted by slex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good to hear, is that galvanic isolation?

Quote:
  Yes it appears so - using Complex Programmable Logic Devices - this is a quote from their website:
1, full isolation technology (ground isolation), the use of 150Mbps full-chip isolation, interference can be completely isolated from the PC;

Sorry, while I know that you are excited about that new USB>S/PDIF converter (and it may end up being a very nice sounding converter), the isolators they use are not providing galvanic isolation between the computer and USB input.  They are the same jitter-adding TI isolators placed AFTER the XMOS USB input PHY/processor--just like everyone else.

And the benefits of the xCORE-200 processors are none to do with audio performance (the processing speed of the prior generation was more that enough)--it is that they have managed to get the volume pricing down to about half the cost of the XS1-U8A series.  $6.50 now buys a processor that used to be $13.  That is a good thing, but not something that is altering SQ.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #914 of 1,138

Neat to see the iPurifier 2 stacking well with the Regen in someone else's setup, too! Have you tried using an iPower to power the Rehen? According to iFi it's quieter than the iPurifier DC--I know it outperformed my LPS (no iP DC).

I also found that putting an iUSB + iFi Gemini dual USB cable before the iP2 improved the sound a bit...not enough to merit the cost, but if you've got money to burn...

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #915 of 1,138

Sorry, while I know that you are excited about that new USB>S/PDIF converter (and it may end up being a very nice sounding converter), the isolators they use are not providing galvanic isolation between the computer and USB input.  They are the same jitter-adding TI isolators placed AFTER the XMOS USB input PHY/processor--just like everyone else.

And the benefits of the xCORE-200 processors are none to do with audio performance (the processing speed of the prior generation was more that enough)--it is that they have managed to get the volume pricing down to about half the cost of the XS1-U8A series.  $6.50 now buys a processor that used to be $13.  That is a good thing, but not something that is altering SQ.

Well they just arrived and blow away any of the 12 or so DDC's I've had yet - simply stunning cold out of the box.  The F-1 (Crystek CCHD-575 audio clocks) is slightly better then the X-1 (NDK SD clocks) so far - and both need burnin.  I'm running 192K 24 bit files from 2L without a hiccup. - so the F-1's CPLD 'USB isolation' seems to have plenty of through put.  The sound has even greater dynamics and a natural ease - surpassing the excellent PUC2 Lite.

Now to sell my PUC2 Lite - I want to try the Wyred for Sound Recovery - I'm reading that many prefer it to the Regen.  I do like the Regen - but the comments over on CA have been almost universal that it's better then the Regen.  It is attractive in that is takes an external power source like the Regen, then after low noise regulators passes on 5VDC power.

The results I'm hearing so far exceed my wildest expectations - rivaling my $30K analog set-up in tonality and demension (VPI SuperScout Master Signature/Dyan XV1S/Nordost Val cables/Bent Setup Transformers/CJ Phono Pre).

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/wyred-4-sounds-recovery-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-reclocker-findings-audio-performance-curated-thread-27140/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back