Upscale Yamaha universal player for $80 shipped from Amazon
Dec 16, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #16 of 42
Nice, got one, anyone knows if this is better than the Sony SCD-CE595 at playing SACD?

I certainly hope so with the higher price tag and tech mumbo jumbo. Will do a direct comparison next week when I get mine.

DVD-A did the deal for me. I have a few DVD-A discs and a proper surround setup but no DVD-A player. This will change that.

Upconverting 1080p is a plus as well although not that big of a deal.

Thanks soundboy!

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, got one, anyone knows if this is better than the Sony SCD-CE595 at playing SACD?

I certainly hope so with the higher price tag and tech mumbo jumbo. Will do a direct comparison next week when I get mine.

DVD-A did the deal for me. I have a few DVD-A discs and a proper surround setup but no DVD-A player. This will change that.

Upconverting 1080p is a plus as well although not that big of a deal.

Thanks soundboy!

LOL...I have had it in my cart for about three days. The DVD-A was going to be the deciding factor. Don't have too many yet, and the ones I do have I listen on PC w/ Foobar, that's why I'm delaying. I have the Sony SCD-CE595 also and would like to hear how they both compare JJ.

Thanks

Good find soundboy...Thanks

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #18 of 42
Pretty sure the answer is no, but...

My amp is backordered until the end of the month and I had intended to pick up my speakers this weekend. As I've experimented already, I know I can plug headphones directly in (well, with a wee adaptor from Radioshack) and get audio, but I haven't been able to change the volume.

Are there volume controls where I would be able to get away with the CD player solely for the next week or two until my amplifier arrives?

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Pretty sure the answer is no, but...

Yeah I'm not sure about that either. One one hand the CE595 is a dedicated SACD player, and is known for its really good SACD output and average CD output. But the Yamaha player seems to have good specs overall, and with the sort of attention to detail that seems to have gone into it, I wont be all that surprised if it beats the 200$ sony player (easily found for around 100 bucks)

But hey, I'm gonna use this Yamaha for the surround SACD setup and keep the CE595 for my main music rig for stereo SACD with the Onkyo 9555. I kinda get the most out of SACD this way without breaking the bank.

Oh and as for your amp situation, go to Goodwill or something and get a crappy amp (usually they have older receivers lying around for 10-20 bucks), or computer speakers with headphone out and connect those to the CDP and use headphones. This is way cheaper than any portable amp, and you dont have to wait for any shipping.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #20 of 42
Hey guys,

The wife surprised me and ordered this player for me. I received it yesterday and have not had any time to set it up yet. I noticed the box says "Yamaha DVD-S1800", not DVD-S1800BL. Is there a difference between the two? It says SA-CD, DVD-A, DVD etc......

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed the box says "Yamaha DVD-S1800", not DVD-S1800BL. Is there a difference between the two?

Thanks

A code like "BL" for black or "S" for silver is often appended to the model number to indicate color.

Enjoy your new toy!

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A code like "BL" for black or "S" for silver is often appended to the model number to indicate color.

Enjoy your new toy!

Thanks rederanged,

Man, that one went over my head...I thought maybe I received the 2010 model with blu-ray too....
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're a very lucky man
biggrin.gif

Thanks...Yeah, she's great...Her support is awesome...As long as it's not anymore of those "glass tube things that have fire in them that you have all over the house" she says...lol

Thanks to you, she saw me looking at the link you posted and saved it and ordered...

beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please post your impressions on this as I am interested in ordering one for a backup player

Will do...
icon10.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...I have had it in my cart for about three days. The DVD-A was going to be the deciding factor. Don't have too many yet, and the ones I do have I listen on PC w/ Foobar, that's why I'm delaying. I have the Sony SCD-CE595 also and would like to hear how they both compare JJ.

Thanks

Good find soundboy...Thanks

have you compared it to the sony and how does the overall sound quality. This unit orinally was 449.00 list so for 80 bucks if it sounds decent I will buy it waiting for impressions.

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #28 of 42
my first post here. I own the Sony 595 and the Yamaha DVD S1800.

My main system cd rig is Pioneer PD65 (as transport) to GW Labs jitter reducer, Perpetual Technologies P1, 3, and Monolithic power supply is getting old. Bought the Sony as an experiment to see what my next disc spinner should be. Was interested in SACD. Had heard SACD far in the past (2nd SACD player Sony built 777 stereo only) at friends house. His system wasn't good enough to convince me or a friend (he has similar cd setup but Musical Design dac) to jump into SACD at the time. That was a mistake.

Years later Musical Design friend bought an Oppo 770 for son. Loaned it to me for a few weeks. Sounded okay. Actually considered buying one but they changed the model to 980. Never could decide if I should buy it or not. Didn't sound as good as Perpetual setup on cd. SACD was a little closer.

Another friend loaned me a Philips SACD player (around $500) about 5 years ago. It was highly recommended in TAS. First SACD to actually beat the Perpetual setup (only when playing SACD) in some areas. It imaged wider and deeper on DSOTM. Never happened before. No match for dac on cd.

The Sony 595 was at Best Buy and I bought it on a whim. Sounded pretty rough on cd. Could tell it had something extra on SACD. Don't think it sounds as good on SACD as the borrowed Philips from years back.

Bought a Yamaha DVD S1800 about 5 months ago. Many reviewers seem to like it. For $150 I didn't expect much. Was wrong. In 5 months time I have bought approx 50 hi-rez discs. This thing sounds good out of the box and gets better as you play it. Didn't even do my crazy 3 day continuos breakin drill. Didn't worry about extra footers or mods. Just played music.

Sony vs Yamaha
They sound pretty different. Comparisons are SACD only. Sony is very tight, light weight sounding. The highs Can have some glare in them. There isn't a lot of image depth. Can tell SACD has some advantages over cd vs Perpetual dac setup, but it isn't a slam dunk.
Yamaha is a warmer sound. It has much more forceful lowend. No one will call it light weight sounding. It nails the midrange. Just beautiful balance. It makes the Sony sound more mechanical - like a cheaper component. There is greater image depth and width thru the Yamaha. The yamaha has the best highs I have ever heard at home from digital. Silky smooth. Doesn't even sound like digital. Doesn't sound like the Linn or SOTA turntables either, but closer. Not sure I would have guessed this is digital if I had walked into a unkown room and heard it. Yamaha has marvelous decay of notes.

The Yamaha has changed my plans for the next digital spinner. Put the mostly complete computer system on hold (it plays - just don't listen to it much now). Bought a second Yamaha as backup. Will probably send one to Allen Wright for modification (as per Positive - Feedback Online).

Musical Design friend brought XRCDs over that had been copied in computer (makes them sound better). After comparing perpetual setup with them to Yamaha with the SACD versions he purchased the Yamaha. It killed him to have the XRCDs beaten by
such an inexpensive machine.

The Sony is more solid state sounding and the yamaha more tube sounding. I like tubes!

Disadvantages of Yamaha:
1. Tray doesn't open from remote (yawn)
2. Bass is wooly with standard power cable. Get a VHaudio adapter and use real power cord.
3. Doesn't have a highly transparent sound. The ac cord can help some.
4. DVDs don't sound as good as SACD. This may not be the mchines fault. Don't have any DVD over 24/96. Highs don't have the effortless sound of SACDs. DVD still sounds better than coarser sounding redbook cds.
5. Fatter bass not as rhythmic. Sony 595 even wins here.

Sorry for such a long review.
thanks
barondla

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 42
Nice job. How does it play redbook. I have a 999es in my main rig and the the marantz DV6001 universal player which is great. I would only be buying this as a backup or perhaps sell the 999ES if I thought it was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back