Upsampling USB DAC with AES/EBU output?
Feb 15, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #31 of 55
Patrick, have you tried spreading your conviction on Audio Asylum. I think you might like it a lot better than here ....

There is probably also a lot more people interested in buying your stuff.

I suggest the mod should close this thread or move it to the classifieds section.

Cheers

Thomas

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, have you tried spreading your conviction on Audio Asylum. I think you might like it a lot better than here ....

There is probably also a lot more people interested in buying your stuff.

I suggest the mod should close this thread or move it to the classifieds section.

Cheers

Thomas

What do you mean?

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #33 of 55
greg, I understand your viewpoint now, I think what you're forgetting here is that patrick is an audiophile, and you're an engineer

as engineers, we're trained to look at things logically, and explain them logically, with math and the sciences as our tools, while audiophiles merely go by what they percieve or feel, so while "24-bit is a lie" may be the mathematical reasoning, doesn't mean it doesn't sound better to him, and you can't really tell another person about their experience (its like me telling you what kind of food you'll enjoy eating, so what if I'm trained in the culinary arts, I'm not the one eating it)

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #34 of 55
Letting all audio fairy tales go throught with the same weight is a slippery slope.

Unsuspecting forum members might get conned out of their money by ruthless people who claim that an expensive power cord will make a huge difference to their sound ....

I personally feel Greg has a valid point calling into question such fraud schemes independent of the question whether the person peddling these goods is self deluded or not.

Cheers

Thomas

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Letting all audio fairy tales go throught with the same weight is a slippery slope.

Unsuspecting forum members might get conned out of their money by ruthless people who claim that an expensive power cord will make a huge difference to their sound ....

I personally feel Greg has a valid point calling into question such fraud schemes independent of the question whether the person peddling these goods is self deluded or not.

Cheers

Thomas

I think you're just full of it

patrick isn't selling a thing, and isn't trying to con anyone, he's asking for product suggestions, and so far all you've contributed is some nonsense about him trying to rob people, and all greg has contributed is a logical counter-opinion to what someone experiences (saying they can't possibly experience what they're claiming to)

not to mention that people are responsible for their own actions, and are responsible for the purchases and choices they make, nobody is forcing anyone to buy a thing, so stop with the hilary clinton legislative nanny bull

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #36 of 55
As far as I recall, I answered the very specific questions he asked in the initial post but he keeps going on about the impact of cables and other audio snake oil.

Thanks for the nice words btw. , that rhymes well with the advice you gave to Greg ....

I really do not want to buy all of Patrick's audio gear, so I have reported this thread to the mod who hopefully will move it to the classified section ...

Cheers

Thomas

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

As far as I recall, I answered the very specific questions he asked in the initial post but he keeps going on about the impact of cables and other audio snake oil.

Thanks for the nice words btw. , that rhymes well with the advice you gave to Greg ....

I really do not want to buy all of Patrick's audio gear, so I have reported this thread to the mod who hopefully will move it to the classified section ...

Cheers

Thomas

thats his signature line, head-fi doesn't impose restrictions

if I called you a blind fool, would it be too much?

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #38 of 55
You probably wouldn't if you would follow your own advice and what your mother tried to teach you, but then this is an open forum and it takes all kinds.

I just happen to recognize a peddler when I see him, some apparently do not ...

Cheers

Thomas

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

You probably wouldn't if you would follow your own advice and what your mother tried to teach you, but then this is an open forum and it takes all kinds.

Cheers

Thomas

I have never owned/touched a vacuum dielectric cable, but I'm still recommending it. I believe Tara Labs Zero to be a great cable for headphones. It uses a rectangular conductor and vacuum dielectric which gives the most neutral signal transfer, it is simple logic.
I like the flavor of Dual Filament Valhalla, it gives acceptable signal transfer while coloring the sound with silver plated copper + round conductor. It boosts up the whiteness and gives the illusion of realism. It's great when combined with 192kHz upsampling. Crazy smooth whiteness and clarity! I have said it for years.

I'm not trying to sell anything, I just want to spread the truth. Right now I have loads of cables loaned out to audiophiles all over the world. Nordost Solar Wind, Valkyrja, Vishnu, Valhalla, Virtual Dynamics Genesis XLR, Genesis power cable. None of them buy anything, some of them were lost in shipping even.

I asked the 3 biggest skeptics in this forum to try the cables, they all refused the offer because they have already made up their minds; if they don't think cables make a difference, it won't, because they simply choose to ignore that difference.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Cheers

Thomas

so you're saying that I'm going to buy power cables and tweaks like patrick? I'm probably one of the biggest skeptics of such things as you'll meet (but patrick, if you feel like handing out free stuff, and not worrying if its "lost" (read: sold)
devil_face.gif
)

honestly, I think you're blowing this way out of proportion

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #41 of 55
The thread started on computer related question about a 192Khz capable USB audio device. Then the OP somehow turned is attention to the impact of cables which he luckily has for sale by the bundle.

I am okay with that but it is probaby more appropriate in the classified section.

I really don't engage in discussions around what people should or should not buy and don't mean to imply anything other than I do not like shilling ....

Cheers

Thomas

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

The thread started on computer related question about a 192Khz capable USB audio device. Then the OP somehow turned is attention to the impact of cables which he luckily has for sale by the bundle.

I am okay with that but it is probaby more appropriate in the classified section.

I really don't engage in discussions around what people should or should not buy and don't mean to imply anything other than I do not like shilling ....

Cheers

Thomas

I think you should just quit with the short sentences and false accusations, its rather rude

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich
if I called you a blind fool, would it be too much?

You are so generous with your advice, maybe something you should adopt ...

Cheers

Thomas

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #45 of 55
Patrick - another good example of taking the facts or in this case what I wrote and twisting it out of all recognition. I said that the cables, connectors and speakers loose lots of bits worth of resolution. Obviously the speakers account for the vast majority of this loss. If it were proven to me that expensive cabling made a different then I would most certainly buy it, despite companies sending me their 'high quality' cable to try out and maybe endorse, I've never found anything that I would consider putting my name to.

"greg, I understand your viewpoint now, I think what you're forgetting here is that patrick is an audiophile, and you're an engineer"

No, first an formost I was a trained professional orchestral musician, and played is some world famous orchestras so I doubt many audiophiles will have as good an idea as I do how certain music should sound. Also I've be a producer of music, do a few tracks for Bjork and others, again this gives me more than just a technical appreciation of what I'm hearing.

Secondly, it's not a matter of opinion that at least 12bits of a 24bit file is just noise, this is a fact. If you don't believe me, prove me wrong. What I can't argue with is that someone is deluded enough to believe that they can hear music, when infact all they are hearing is noise. Just because someone believes they can hear music does not make it so.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back