Upsampling USB DAC with AES/EBU output?
Feb 17, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #46 of 55
I'm not arguing about the technical details, you're 100% right and I 100% agree, my point in saying you're an engineer and patrick is an audiophile, you look at things as an engineer would, just as I do, and just as many members do

you're looking at the facts, and the logic of it, based on your experience as a musician and a producer (very nice experience set by the way, and you're a great asset to have on a board like this, I really do mean that), patrick doesn't, which is my point

call it delusion, insanity, or whatever, but its simply a difference in your human experience, you view the world through one set of eyes and ears, his are much different, so theres no reason to bash on him for it

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #47 of 55
obobskivich - I agree with you that we all have different perceptions of sound/music. Although I might disagree with Patrick over his preference for a particular music genre, musician, performance or recording, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. But when we are talking about a technical issue, say 24bit vs 16bit and all that can possibly be in those extra 8bits is just noise, this ceases to be an opinion we are dealing with but cold hard black and white fact. There can only be 3 possibilities:

1. Patrick's testing is so poor that he isn't testing what he thinks he's testing.
2. There is a fault with his equipment.
3. His perception and/or judgment is impaired.

The problem as I see it, is that based on one of the three options above, Patrick has made incorrect assumptions and is now passing off these assumptions as fact.

It's a shame, there are quite a few very knowledgable people on Head-fi but too often the information they give on technical issues is swamped by incorrect assumption by those who have no understanding of the technology they are employing. They have fallen victim to one of the above options and been helped along by manufacturers who are too often more than willing to take advantage of their lack of understanding of the technology.

IMO, for a new comer, this greatly dimminishes the usefulness of Head-fi. But where else is the consumer to go, professional audio forums are much more accurate when dealing with fact but the new comer is going to struggle to understand what is being discussed. The moderators in my opinion are partly responsible but presumably Head-fi isn't profit making to the extent that it can afford to pay for professionally expert moderators.

It would be good to have a couple of sticky short threads explaining Digital Audio technology and exploding some of the myths. But I can't see it happening on here.

G

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #49 of 55
The only reason I want AES/EBU output is because I have 3000 Euro AES/EBU digital cable which I can't sell, I would use Toslink otherwise.
I will purchase Trends Audio UD10.1 USB DAC, it's the cheapest I found with AES/EBU output. Is it a bad idea?

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason I want AES/EBU output is because I have 3000 Euro AES/EBU digital cable which I can't sell, I would use Toslink otherwise.
I will purchase Trends Audio UD10.1 USB DAC, it's the cheapest I found with AES/EBU output. Is it a bad idea?

I take it you are joking, you must be? That would be like putting 40,000 euro wheels on a 10,000 euro Fiat.... Actually it wouldn't, because there may actually be some sort of benefit of the 40,000 euro wheels! Surely no one even makes 3000 euro audio cable do they? How many lies would you have to make up to sell it? If they do, how much of an idiot would someone have to be to buy it?

G

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you are joking, you must be? That would be like putting 40,000 euro wheels on a 10,000 euro Fiat.... Actually it wouldn't, because there may actually be some sort of benefit of the 40,000 euro wheels! Surely no one even makes 3000 euro audio cable do they? How many lies would you have to make up to sell it? If they do, how much of an idiot would someone have to be to buy it?

G

I never joke about audio. The Adagio AES/EBU seemed like a good flat conductor budget cable so I bought it to try if it is acceptable.

The best interconnects are no interconnects, I have 0 cm analog interconnects between DAC and amp, I used 7cm Nordost Valkyrja before and it veiled the sound, round conductors are bad even when they have air dielectric! I have found that flat conductors are the best. Round conductors are only good if they have vibration dampening.
I have not tried flat conductors for interconnects yet, but soon I will try the Adagio digital cable and see if it's good, for digital signals the dielectric isn't important, but for analog signals it is...I'm using Dual Filament air dielectric Valhalla cable for my headphone cable, it seems okay even when the conductors are round, but I would like to try flat conductor with vacuum dielectric instead but I cannot afford it (Tara Labs Zero: $15 000 for 1meter). I believe it would be acceptable for headphone usage.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #52 of 55
Patrick, is your DAC integrated with the AMP on the same pcb board or else how does it transfer the signal from DAC to AMP? If you talked about your DAC and AMP setup here already I must have missed it since I just scrolled away from most of the nonsense. I think Patrick should talk to the guy who is the maker of lessloss.com, they have a lot of FAQs regarding sound and you should find what you're looking for or email them if you didn't find it.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by lag0a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, is your DAC integrated with the AMP on the same pcb board or else how does it transfer the signal from DAC to AMP? If you talked about your DAC and AMP setup here already I must have missed it since I just scrolled away from most of the nonsense. I think Patrick should talk to the guy who is the maker of lessloss.com, they have a lot of FAQs regarding sound and you should find what you're looking for or email them if you didn't find it.

I'm using connectors and adapters for my interconnect, 0cm wiring is in the path, it is very stiff and solid. If there is soft flexible wiring in the path is starts vibrating and it veils the sound...this is why vibration control in cables makes a huge improvement.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/en...nnects-408965/

l_ff2074aa76c84ec89fa8cdd185e09777.jpg

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #55 of 55
God, it just gets worse. Does anyone actually believe that $1000 digital cable is going to make any difference?

Patrick, are you mad or are you some sort of rip-off cable seller (or both). You are spouting completely worthless rubbish which makes no sense whatsoever. Please, for God's sake, any one else reading this thread please don't be tempted to spend more than $10 or so per foot of cable. Anyone trying to peddle "proof" that $100+ cable performs better than $10 cable is nothing more than a scam artist trying to con you out of your money!!!

The marketing bumf for the "Monarchy Audio - DIP Upsampler" is just utter bullsh*t. I've rarely read such nonsense, with the exception of what Patrick wrote above!

"Super-accurate reference clocks result in higher sonic performance for any DAC you use with the Upsampler." - Bollo*ks! - How can they say it will improve any DAC when they have no idea what DAC or system feeding it everyone owns. BTW, you can easily run 75ft of AES/EBU cable without the need for this silly box. So much of what they say in their advertising is marketing lies to get you to buy a worthless plastic box!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back