UPS people are jerks.
Jul 21, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #31 of 61
Thanks to my experience today I must add a complaint.

I order a laptop and it is due to arrive today. The UPS decides to come at 10:16 am. Luckily smeone is home to recieve the package (it requires a signature). But for some reason he misses the doorbell or somthing and leaves a note that he will try again on Monday @ 10:30 when no one will be home. Great now I have to wait the weekend and either take off work or drive to the depot. I tried calling UPS to work somthing out but they aren't helpfull. Stupid express shipping screwed me over. If he came at 4:00 today there would be no problem.

UPS=Brown=Crap

Jul 22, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #32 of 61
Check out the photo gallery at United Package Smashers.
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #34 of 61
I live in the states, I also live in an apartment. Fedex and usps have not treated me right, whenever I have something through UPS they come upstairs they knock on door. Fedex with same orders and even password for door they leave they door tag in the entrance, I made arrangements for second delivery I waited between 12-1pm when they said they would come, they never showed up and said they did, no door tag was left behind. I found a way to beat the system, have it sent to a fedex kinkos station wich is way closer than the central station and I pick it up at my convenience.

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #35 of 61
I had some test equipment shipped to me through UPS that was taking a while to show up. Yesterday I got a postcard from them (who are only a couple miles away) saying they need my correct address or for me to come pick it up, or they're sending it back the very next day. Now I may not have all kinds of degrees and special training, but if they thought they didn't have the right address, how did they think I was going to get this postcard mailed using the address on the box? I guess even they know that the USPS can read the number on the mailbox better than their delivery guys.

It confused me at first too, because in the info about who the sender was, they didn't even put the name of the correct sender, it was some other random company name.
plainface.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #36 of 61
I ordered a pair of oakleys that were delivered with UPS.

Marked at $60, charged $20 for them.

The original oakley box was thrown into a grado like box which was much bigger than the oakley box. No padding. Hell, last time I shipped something out in a big box, i bought a newspaper, crumpled the **** out of the pages, and stuffed them into the box (be prepared for a lot of newspaper, Purk.)

Basically the oakleys arrived bouncing around in the second box, out of the soft bag, and out of the original oakley box. How do you get the original box to OPEN while its inside another Box? Some rough rough shipping.

Luckly the Oakleys have no scratches, but do have a slightly loose arm.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #38 of 61
Whoah, so much UPS resentment. I use to work at a UPS customer counter. I really LIKE UPS, and I worked there. That should tell you something.

Most of the problems people have with shipments (especially torn up as in kramer5150's case) are due to the shipper being a moron. You CANNOT expect a package to get through nicely if it is not packed well. Knowing a little bit about how packages are transferred through might help a bit. Hint: most of the damages (I believe) are from the conveyor belts, not so much person handling. I've seen some BAD catch-ups on the belts, it's NOT pretty.

The kramer5150 case ... that box was just NOT packed well. It shouldn't be able to dent in that much. The problem is that when shippers have accounts, the problems are on them ... not the customer counters. So when you receive a box that is improperly packed -- seller's fault, NOT UPS.

At the customer counter where I worked, we had so many pissed off people saying all kinds of things like "why do you need to pack it like that, it doesn't need that much packing" and what not -- so annoying. They just didn't understand.

BTW, if you DO have bad experiences with UPS, try shipping air if it's important. I don't believe it's too often that the air packages get routed on many belts ... usually just truck to truck palette to palette.

Sorry, I get a little irritated with this issue. The blame is easily placed on UPS but most of the problems could be solved with proper packing.

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #39 of 61
I like UPS. I also like FedEx. When they come, I'm getting treats.
smily_headphones1.gif

But I have noticed that international sellers tend to ship FedEx. I guess now I know why.

And I've noticed people complaining that the products that they purchase from a retail store have too much packaging, but when buying the same product over the internet, not enough packaging. Hmmm.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #40 of 61
UPS has been pretty good for me...

unlike fed ex who dont have a ground shipment center in my city... so

a package that left a town 1 HR away had to go to LA then go Oxnard where it was left to be delivered to me in SB

GRRR

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #41 of 61
I have never had a problem with package mishandling but the fees UPS charges are outrageous.
My most recent experience with them is a package of CDs/SACDs ordered from Musicdirect, total cost of the goods was $190 + UPS shipping of $82, upon arrival UPS charged a further $60 for “handling and brokerage”, a whopping total of $142 for delivering a few CDs. No other company has ever charged me these ridiculous fees for delivering a package.

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #42 of 61
Hi,
Just stumbled on the thread and thought I'd add my two cents.

As a Canadian I've been burnt on the obscene brokerage charges that UPS adds to import items.

But I found out something interesting that has saved me a lot of cash. If you can get a tracking number for whatever is being shipped and call UPS before it crosses the border, you can request to act as your own broker. UPS refers to it as a "clears own".

What this means is that when your item arrives you get a call from UPS letting you know that your item is in (instead of showing up at your door and demanding cash). You go down to UPS and pick up the customs paperwork and go to the customs offices yourself. The office is usually right by the UPS depot (that's why UPS, Fedex, DHL all have depots right by the airport). In Winnipeg, where I am, the customs depot is two minutes away. Once you are at the depot the customs officer will take your paperwork do it for you and then charge you the tax (depending on what it is, this will usually run you the same as if you bought it at a store locally for whatever amount you got it in the states). You then take the completed/stamped paperwork back to UPS and get your item.

Not only are you not charged brokerage (which is more then duty) you can pick up your item at your convience.

Of course this only works if you live reasonable close to the UPS/customs offices. And on occasion (this has only happed once in a couple of dozen or so transactions) they will go through customs and act as your broker even though you requested them not to and you will be charged brokerage.

Right now I am waiting on a HD Dvd player where I am acting as my own brokerand will save approx. $70 on brokerage. Fedex will not let you do this for some reason - I've asked.

This is great for us Canadians if you don't mind a little driving. Hope this helps anybody out there.

Jul 31, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #43 of 61
Several times now, the most recent episode being just last week, UPS dropped a package on our front porch, and didn't ring the bell or knock on the door. They just dropped it and ran. It was crushed almost beyond recognition. If I had a chance to look at the "box" (crushed cardboard hulk) in front of the UPS delivery guy, I would have refused it outright on appearance alone. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it back to the irresponsible bums. A few times in winters past, they dropped stuff off in the middle of the driveway, which we cannot see from the house, and hours later we happened upon the wet soaked hulking mass in the driveway. I don't know if it's one cowardly, lazy, guy, or a bunch of them. No other delivery service treats customers or packages so poorly.

Aug 1, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #44 of 61
I've never been ripped off by UPS because I've been warned by friends long ago to not use them. Do the same to people you know, spread the word.

Aug 1, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #45 of 61
Another Canadian here.
Currently hesitating on buying a DAC-AH(150$)
from www.pacificvalve.us . They only ship via UPS to canada

Last item I got from them was declared 20$ and I ended up paying "fees" and sh!t worth 20$, a grand total of 200% of the original cost.

I wonder how much id get ripped if I got a 150$ item...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back