UPS ground = crawling deliveryman
Feb 23, 2010 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
Why does it take UPS more than 3 days to ship a pair of glasses in the same city???????? I could walk that distance in a day!!!! did they hired some disabled delivery man or something???
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
:a ngry_face:
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
:ang ry_face:
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
:angry _face:
angry_face.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 17
You know what gets me angry? I've received two flat packages today -- one from USPS (usps first-class international without tracking) and one from Canada post (regular parcel post with tracking). The heavier package from USPS cost the shipper $2.01usd and the one from Canadapost cost $11.20cad. That's almost 5x more expensive to ship local than shipping north from down south
angry_face.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 17
Same city: Go pick it up.
If the distance is great, buy transit tickets. UPS shipping costs... more than an item, sometimes.
I live in Canada, and UPS 3-day shipping costs $35. Plus brokerage. Hmm... Next time I'll order all my bits and ends at the same time.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 17
atleast you lot do not have to deal with the royal mail........ honestly do net get me started on them ...... why is it that every time a package comes instead of posting the item they slip in a notice through my letterbox saying i was not home and i have to go to the nearest department to get my item........

its a bunch of lies once while getting late to work i saw the idiot slipping the notice through my letterbox without knocking on the door........how lazy can they get .........
also on previous occasions there is always someone in the house so they have no excuse saying that no one was at home........

royal mail = bunch of eejits

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lol'd at the thread title. Figured I'd get in before it was locked.
biggrin.gif

New record for the most threads locked for anyone?

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 17
Bob_McBob is correct. I worked for UPS during undergrad in a quasi-night manager position.

The truck that picks up the package takes it back to a central hub where it gets routed and sent back out to its destination. It's possible that the intake hub was not the same one that delivers to you, so it can take extra time.

Also, the volume is huge. The place I worked at had something like 250,000 packages going through every day. The amount of planning involved was nothing short of amazing. And yes, the employees took things seriously. One of the "nightmare" scenarios was when a truck broke down at the end of the day. Sometimes NDA or 2DA packages had to be driven to the airport and put on commercial, non-UPS flights, with a bunch of planning to have someone get it on the other end.

So, yeah, the packages can take a day or two longer. But these days, I don't fault UPS, FedEx or the USPS for these things. 99% of the stuff I buy or send isn't time sensitive. As long as it shows up undamaged, I'm happy.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bob_McBob is correct. I worked for UPS during undergrad in a quasi-night manager position.

The truck that picks up the package takes it back to a central hub where it gets routed and sent back out to its destination. It's possible that the intake hub was not the same one that delivers to you, so it can take extra time.

Also, the volume is huge. The place I worked at had something like 250,000 packages going through every day. The amount of planning involved was nothing short of amazing. And yes, the employees took things seriously. One of the "nightmare" scenarios was when a truck broke down at the end of the day. Sometimes NDA or 2DA packages had to be driven to the airport and put on commercial, non-UPS flights, with a bunch of planning to have someone get it on the other end.

So, yeah, the packages can take a day or two longer. But these days, I don't fault UPS, FedEx or the USPS for these things. 99% of the stuff I buy or send isn't time sensitive. As long as it shows up undamaged, I'm happy.

What he said. You aren't special, your package needs to go through the same process as everyone else.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 17
Hopefully it's not something serious like this

h2jm6.png

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spoke-hub distribution paradigm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This. Unfortunately USPS has a major hub in Denver, CO so three or four times now this has happened to me:

mapt.jpg

This one is still in transit... A & C on the bottom left are the origin and destination of my package.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This. Unfortunately USPS has a major hub in Denver, CO so three or four times now this has happened to me:

mapt.jpg

This one is still in transit... A & C on the bottom left are the origin and destination of my package.

I would comment on how streamlined UPS/FedEX supply chains are, and how they utilize ridiculous computer models to make every single movement of every single package count in the grand scheme of things

but that is truly an impressive route to move a package one town over
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 17
I lol'd at going from (what looks like) Orange County to Denver to West Los Angeles.

I also lol'd at the train derailment image.

Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back