Upgrading to Schiit Magni/Modi from FiiO E9/E7?
Sep 15, 2013 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JudgmentZefhyr

New Head-Fier
Hello,

For anyone that has experience with these two combo's, would I be seeing a notable difference going to the Schiit Magni Amp with Modi DAC from a FiiO E9 Amp with E7 DAC?

If it matters, I am using a Sennheiser HD650. I've been using the FiiO combo for the past 5 years but I feel like it doesn't properly drive the headphones to their full potential. Some time back, I had in my possession the Little Dot IV SE and paired with the HD650, I felt as I heard the voice of God through those headphones. Even now, I remember how amazing they sounded and my E9/E7 simply doesn't live up to that. Sadly, I had to get rid of the Little Dot.

I recall a notable difference in sound comparing the LD to the FiiO combo. I can't seem to find any comparison between these two sets...for anyone that has experience, would it be a good idea to upgrade from one to the other? In terms of original pricing, both are quite similar so that slightly worries me that the Schiit combo costs roughly the same amount as the FiiO back when I bought it.

Thank you.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 3
Heya,

Slightly better upgrade, but only slightly. And the LD IVSE compard to a $60 Fiio E9 is not a real comparison. You just compared a $400 amp to a $60 amp. The Magni is a $99 amp. It's a good one. But let's not get too wrapped up in prices. The real thing is, the E9 is an ok entry level amp. The Magni is better, but still an entry level amp.

Why don't you get a nice tube for your HD650? Musical Paradise MP-301 comes to mind and is not that expensive. The E7 can output as your DAC to a new amp.

Very best,

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Well...in my case,

I bought the E9 for $120 along with the E7 DAC for $80...so that was around $200 value compared to the Little Dot IV SE which I got for $200 from a special.

So it was roughly an equivalent value for me....which I know is a bad comparison.

I'll keep those tube amps in mind. I'm kind of partial towards the Little Dot and Schiit brands though. Would you be able to recommend around maybe $200 - $300 range there?

Would a more expensive Amp by itself being "better" than a cheaper amp with DAC? (like magni and modi)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back