Upgrading to IEMs - Recommendations
Jan 10, 2010 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

inego

Head-Fier
I've started commuting to work again and decided that I really don't like my Senn PX200s much - the sound is too flabby (nice technical term!), and just doesn't do it for me.

I'm using an unamped current generation ipod classic, and not looking to amp at this stage. My home rig is HD580s and an LDIII amp - I love the sound of the 580s.

So.....I've decided IEMs are for me. I'm looking for accuracy and good soundstage, but heaps of bass isn't my biggest priority. I'm wondering whether Superfi5pros or somethgin similar will give a good price/performance compromise, or whether I should really stretch into IE8/UM3/SE530 land....

Thanks in advance for your time - Kent

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 34
Westone 3s have really wide soundstages. If neutrality is your thing look at the RE0/RE252. I think the RE0 is a really great IEM, and if your budget can't handle the UM3X or SE530 (the IE8 may not be for you, it's very bass heavy) then those would be ones to look at. They can be driven by an iPod, although if you want more bass or they aren't loud enough they work well with a Fiio E5 as well.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 34
Thanks for your suggestions. I hadn't even noticed/considered the RE252, but it sure throw a cat amongst the rats with wings. As for the UM3X, the Aussie dollar nearing parity with the US is making them more attainable.

Does anyone else have other thoughts?

Kent

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by inego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your suggestions. I hadn't even noticed/considered the RE252, but it sure throw a cat amongst the rats with wings. As for the UM3X, the Aussie dollar nearing parity with the US is making them more attainable.

Does anyone else have other thoughts?

Kent

lol I'm not sure if this idiom translates well on the voyage from down under...

What does this mean, exactly?
normal_smile .gif

EDIT: nevermind, I think I found it, although it took a bit. "Rat with wings" as a name for a pigeon, which I've never heard before, but makes sense. This leads to... "Setting the cat among the pigeons": "to introduce some violently disturbing new element"

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

TopPop - how do you find your RE0s compared with your HD600s?

They're very similar, in a way. I've always found the HD600 to be quite transparent, which many people don't feel is the case. The RE0 is transparent, as well. To my ears, they're both fairly neutral headphones. However, the RE0 is slightly raised in the treble response, though it is very slight, and seems more like a plateau than a spike in any band of frequencies. The HD600, on the other hand, has a slightly emphasized midrange. The HD600 has better extended bass. It also has more visceral bass and a more expansive soundstage, two things which aren't surprising given the IEM to headphone comparison.

All in all, they're somewhat similar to my ears. Even though people describe them as bass light, detail-oriented IEMs, they sound closer to the HD600 than, say, the K701, in my opinion. I would say they probably fall somewhere between HD600 and DT880, if based on sound signature alone.

Quote:

As for your research "violently disturbing new element" - hmmm.....
smily_headphones1.gif

As per Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary
tongue.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 34
Thanks for your comments on the RE0s.

As for the definition, I'm not questioning it per se, it's just that I hadn't considered violence regarding headphones.

Kent

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 34
Personally, I feel that although the RE252 *does* have a wider soundstage than the RE0, actual instrumental seperation is significantly worse and less layered on the 252's than the 0's. I get more enjoyment out of feeling the instruments take shape in a relatively confined space with the RE0's than the more 'diffuse' tone of the 252s. Just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, someone from Sydney
biggrin.gif
Finally haha!

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 34
If you want accuracy and a decent ear fit, try the Etyomotic Research hf5 with either the medium-size Shure "olive" foam sleeves designed for the Shure SE series IEMs or the Comply Foam T-100 or Tx-100 ear tips (both of which will work with the hf5).

Why a third-party ear tip? The ear tips provided by Etymotic can be a bit tricky to insert into your ear. I had problems with ear fit with the Klipsch Image S4i until I started using the Comply Tx-100 eartips--no more IEM falling out of my ears, better noise isolation and even better bass.
happy_face1.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 34
Thanks everyone for your input. I must say, if I hadn't missed the black friday sale at earphone solutions, the RE252 would have been a definite! And are the RE0s really that good at the price.

UM3Xs aren't out of the frame yet either - I just need to come to terms with spending more on the cans than the source.....

Kent

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 34
i definitely give two thumbs up and a high recommendation for the RE0's (listening to them as we speak)

clarity, accuracy, and amazing sound stage. for the price you cant go wrong!

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Thanks everyone for your input. I must say, if I hadn't missed the black friday sale at earphone solutions, the RE252 would have been a definite! And are the RE0s really that good at the price.

UM3Xs aren't out of the frame yet either - I just need to come to terms with spending more on the cans than the source.....

Kent

As you would know, things like the UM3X are insanely expensive to get to Australia, so I think Australians have options artificially limited by geography. (We don't get wonderful things like $99 Triple.Fi sales
frown.gif
)

I've been doing a bout of research on how much I'd have to pay for an upgrade to the RE0's, and here's what I found:

Just about the only earphones I would feel right buying (without facing some insane mark up / shipping fee) are Audio Technica's, so if you feel like stretching, ATH-CK10's or ATH-CK90Pro's from Accessoryjack don't cost too much in AUD - though they are preposterously expensive locally. (Compared to what everyone else in the world is paying.)

Also you can get HF5's or Ultimate Ears 700 shipped from Amazon via express international courier (50 bucks!), that will still come in cheaper in total than buying them locally for 200 AUD or 399 respectively.

We get an okay-ish deal on the Ortofon EQ-7's from Wickeddigital right here in Sydney, but they are expensive to begin with everywhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Everything else either doesn't ship here from verifiably reliable sellers, or costs too much after currency conversion.

That's why, at flat rate shipping from head-direct the RE0's are a fantastic deal for Australians. Even the local price is not toooo bad, if your priority is to have them tomorrow!

I wonder how the ATH-CK10 would compare to the RE0, since I've read them described as extremely similar from one member. If ljokerl had any pointers?

(In the end after my search I settled on the ATH-CK90Pro as my first step into Balanced armatures... now I'm just waiting for them to arrive
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 34
Our exchange rate is good at the moment of course (just below 93c today), so US purchases are pretty good. However, I've found an Aussie seller listing UM3Xs for around the same price I can get delivered from the US (unless somewhere in the US has a sale on them!).

I'm looking for a noticeable improvement on the PM200s (which were a bit of a quick purchase to replace broken Koss's), so something "high end" it will probably be (and I've got a little "play money" at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back