Upgrading to IEMs - Recommendations
Jan 11, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by inego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our exchange rate is good at the moment of course (just below 93c today), so US purchases are pretty good. However, I've found an Aussie seller listing UM3Xs for around the same price I can get delivered from the US (unless somewhere in the US has a sale on them!).

I'm looking for a noticeable improvement on the PM200s (which were a bit of a quick purchase to replace broken Koss's), so something "high end" it will probably be (and I've got a little "play money" at the moment.

I can never work out why PayPal's exchange rate seems to be locked at 88c
frown.gif
Does this seller have multiple pairs? Maybe I'll look into it hehe.

Having heard neither the UM3X or the CK10 I can't comment, but you should consider the Audio Technica's as well... they've always impressed me from a build quality standpoint. Jant71 considers them to be improved versions of the RE0 - which is a tall order indeed.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #17 of 34
I own the UM3X and am from Australia. I bought them from an authorized dealer (not ebay) for $370 shipped express from USA. Ebay at the time had it for about $350 shipped first class so I just paid the extra $20 to get it express and know that I would receive them
smily_headphones1.gif
Currently I have seen some for like $290 on here. Used doesn't matter, as you can just use the un-used tips or just buy some new ones
biggrin.gif
Can't comment much on soundstage, as I am incredibly tired and can't remember much of them. Power went out last night at 8:30 and just came on at 10:30 this morning, god damn, sleeping through that 35c night was hell lol.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the UM3X and am from Australia. I bought them from an authorized dealer (not ebay) for $370 shipped express from USA. Ebay at the time had it for about $350 shipped first class so I just paid the extra $20 to get it express and know that I would receive them
smily_headphones1.gif
Currently I have seen some for like $290 on here. Used doesn't matter, as you can just use the un-used tips or just buy some new ones
biggrin.gif
Can't comment much on soundstage, as I am incredibly tired and can't remember much of them. Power went out last night at 8:30 and just came on at 10:30 this morning, god damn, sleeping through that 35c night was hell lol.

Now everyone will start thinking that Australia is a nightmarish place where everything is expensive and the power randomly cuts out, Pyongyang style.

Or maybe thats just Melbourne
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #19 of 34
Thaz just Melbourne. It was like 28c all over Australia and here in Melbourne, it was bloody 42c. How does that work lol. Yes everything here is expensive, most of the time 2 times the price of America. I saw UM3X for $700 here! Yes, $700!

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thaz just Melbourne. It was like 28c all over Australia and here in Melbourne, it was bloody 42c. How does that work lol. Yes everything here is expensive, most of the time 2 times the price of America. I saw UM3X for $700 here! Yes, $700!

Of course lol. The craziest thing here though, is the price of the Audio Technica CK100. It's routinely insanely expensive even at the cheaper online stores. Retail is only 899 after all
biggrin.gif

Also, a ridiculous price is the Sony MDR-Ex700 here - around 400 even if you negotiate a price at Sony Central. Given how terrible they are, its laughable.

I notice you have a Sony X... I saw on the system that the cost price of one of those here is 649 dollars
confused_face.gif

How horrific it is down here.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #21 of 34
Extremely horrific (h0rr1fic is my old online tag
biggrin.gif
). I bought it for $300us but converted to Australian at the time with shipping added, it was $450aud!

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #22 of 34
I vote Phiaton PS210 despite having to get used to how to get it to fit properly. The sound is beyond the $99 Phiaton asks for.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #23 of 34
Hey, can I join the conversation?
smily_headphones1.gif

With our dollar moving the way it is, we'll be pillaging the world like the Icelanders soon (but hopefully avoiding their crash). I haven't checked out the PayPal exchange today - maybe I should. But the one I've seen for the UM3X is an Aussie seller in Aussie dollars.

Some of our shopfront prices on cans amaze me - you can save hundreds going to reputable Aussie online stores, let alone looking overseas. And a $100 saving isn't to be sneezed at!

Kent

PS. Weather - not too bad in Sydney this week, as the sea breezes have been happening. Very humid though.....

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #24 of 34
Melbourne Weather

That's how i figure it out anyway. Better than yesterday's 42C and 6% humidity! It was 47C in the sun actually, damn it was hot lol, even worse when the power went out and we had no air con or fans.

Lol realised us Aussies have hi-jacked this thread, sorry lol.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by inego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, can I join the conversation?
smily_headphones1.gif

With our dollar moving the way it is, we'll be pillaging the world like the Icelanders soon (but hopefully avoiding their crash). I haven't checked out the PayPal exchange today - maybe I should. But the one I've seen for the UM3X is an Aussie seller in Aussie dollars.

Some of our shopfront prices on cans amaze me - you can save hundreds going to reputable Aussie online stores, let alone looking overseas. And a $100 saving isn't to be sneezed at!

Kent

PS. Weather - not too bad in Sydney this week, as the sea breezes have been happening. Very humid though.....

Lol, sure, I hereby invite you to join the conversation in the thread that you started
k701smile.gif

All I know is that when I was ordering the CK90Pro's yesterday the Paypal rate was 88c, which sucked. I can't tell if I save by paying in AUD instead. I got the CK90Pro based on this post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...That said, I still prefer these to the um3x when paired correctly as they have a much more mellow and smoother midrange with better harmonics (though less energy) as well as tad more extensive hard hitting bass and no high frequency artefacts
angry_face.gif
. 2-4khz is no longer an issue if using complys or included foamies (only bothering with olives as I was originally using). Mid to upper treble while not as far reaching as the um3x;s is more prominent by virtue of the fact it is a crisper type of treble and less blunt thus appearing more obvious. 3d spatial separation, however, is still no match for the um3x's though instrumental separation within the musical piece is slightly better.

Will be offloading my um3x's very shortly...

I don't know if the CK10 is better or worse than the CK90, but since I prefer instrument seperation over soundstage and since the CK90's are about 100 dollars cheaper than UM3X's, I went with them.

About online stores, I know what you mean - you can get insane savings. But even better, I found a new store in Sydney CBD with an online store front, and the owner is a real champ. Got to sit there for hours listening to tube amps and B&W speakers, and in the end got good prices on some Audio Technica CKS70's and Aktimate Mini iPod speakers. So, online prices + nice service : D

Weather was horrible on Monday, but luckily I was working inside a shopping centre the whole day heh.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #26 of 34
Pfft lol come to Melbourne, weather is either 40c and sunny or like 10c and raining xD

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote Phiaton PS210 despite having to get used to how to get it to fit properly. The sound is beyond the $99 Phiaton asks for.

I have honestly never heard of this brand until the past few days... *googles*

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #29 of 34
I don't know if that will answer your question actually, since I don't have the UM3X to compare the 90's to haha.

Now, if stang, inego and I were in the same city, that would work out nicely.
biggrin.gif

If you do go to that store, which is a nice cool room and fun for a lunch break, tell Charles (the owner) that Lachlan sent ya!

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #30 of 34
I'd imagine though, that being three way, triple drivers and all though, the UM3X will still be the overall superior phone by just a tad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back