Upgrading OPAmps in fiio e7
Jun 15, 2010 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stratowhammy

Head-Fier
I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the opa's in the fiio e7 to a higher quality set.  I know NOTHING about OPAs or how the fiio is setup, all I know is this from an engadget spec review:

Quote:

Build-in headphone amplifier utilizing AD8692 and Texas Instruments’ TPA6130A as pre- and power-amp for high performance, good resolution, low distortion, and powerful output

Does anyone out there think that the AD8692 or TPA6130A are upgradable in any kind of meaningful way?  Are these high(ish) quality components?  I know its a fiio, and many audiophiles are going to scream NOT ON YOUR LIFE, THIS IS POOP!, but is there a $30-$50 substitution that would get me more bang for my buck?

I also haven't taken the thing apart (I'm going to let someone with more experience do it before I do), so I don't know if these components are event removable or not, but if anyone with more experience or technical know-how wants to find out, I think it would be interesting!

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 4
I opened my E7 up and everything was SMT so I don't think it would be easy to drop in a different op-amp. The TPA6130A, in particular, is very integral to the overall product so I don't think that can be changed without a complete product redesign.

Jack

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks for the hit back.  i suspected that this was probably the case, but I really didn't want to open it up (nor do I believe I'd be able to make heads or tails of what I was seeing).

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 4
yeah the TPA chip is a powerpad design if I remember correctly and is more than just an opamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back