Upgrading My Audio Equipment?
Sep 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

deadman_uk

Head-Fier
I do a mixture of gaming and music listening on my desktop computer, with the occasional movie thrown in. I mainly use headphones but the speakers do get some use occasionally. Both headphones and speakers are plugged into my amp. I am using the following for audio:

Headphones = Audio–Technica ATH R70x

Speakers = Razer Mako 2.1

Sound Card = Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD

Amp = Schiit Magni 2 Uber

I am looking to take my audio experience to the next level and was wondering what direction should I go? Better sound card? Move to the Magni 3?

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 16
Assuming you have the Ti-HD's (Titanium-HD) RCA line-output connected to the Schiit Magni 2 Uber's RCA line-input
and the Magni's RCA line-output connected to the Razer Mako 2.1's RCA line-input.
And you have disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS.

That Ti-HD makes a fairly good DAC and newer sound cards, like the SB-ZxR still use the same type of DAC chips as the TI-HD.

Maybe get a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier ($214-$250).
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se
Also sold off eBay and Amazon.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 16
What makes you think you need to improve what you have? SQ not where you want it? Why do you need to upgrade? Maybe try a different pair of headphones? That will make the biggest sound change. Your amp should be plenty fine for PC duties. Unless you don't like the Schiit sound? You need to figure out why you feel you need the next level first. What are you unhappy with?

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 16
Assuming you have the Ti-HD's (Titanium-HD) RCA line-output connected to the Schiit Magni 2 Uber's RCA line-input
and the Magni's RCA line-output connected to the Razer Mako 2.1's RCA line-input.
And you have disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS.

That Ti-HD makes a fairly good DAC and newer sound cards, like the SB-ZxR still use the same type of DAC chips as the TI-HD.

Maybe get a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier ($214-$250).
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se
Also sold off eBay and Amazon.

The Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier; I heard I should avoid tube amps for my specific headphones as it can ruin the sound by making it too warm. Any truth on this? I remember reading on this forum about a guy who tried a tube amp on the R70X and said the neutral sound of the headphones was lost. I am in the UK too and not sure where to buy that from within the UK.

What makes you think you need to improve what you have? SQ not where you want it? Why do you need to upgrade? Maybe try a different pair of headphones? That will make the biggest sound change. Your amp should be plenty fine for PC duties. Unless you don't like the Schiit sound? You need to figure out why you feel you need the next level first. What are you unhappy with?

Oh I am happy with my sound but am thinking about upgrading a few parts of my PC and noticed my sound card was released 7 years ago. I was going to post specifically about the sound card as I was wondering if there was anything noticeably better since 2010, then I thought I would extend this to all my audio equipment.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 16
I'd look more at things like a quieter PC PS or better player programs etc. unless there are specific items in the audio chain that you want to replace. For instance, though I usually use VLC to watch vids, if I was being critical and had a nice chain of audio bits in the setup, I'd definitely find a better sounding player.

I'm personally not a fan of the Mako if you listen to music on that setup. Cheap and cheerful are Audioengine a2+ or older a2 if you can find some. More bass than expected but might need a woof for other uses. Can't help you there for cheap but the Sunfire HRS8 sub is pretty remarkable for it's size and price. I haven't heard a cheap woofer that doesn't do as much bad as good for music once the upper ranges are actually singing. I've also heard great things about the Ruark MR1 but haven't heard them so it's a hearsay suggestion.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 16
I personally don't worry so much about sound cards. Though I do run sound cards I usually just use onboard to send a signal to my external DAC which then feeds several amps. Because I use a DAC I don't require anything special in the PC itself. My current PC does not even have a soundcard installed. I have a nice Creative ZX card sitting on my desk because I left it out of my latest build.

Anyway; if you are happy with your headphones and amp maybe buy a stand alone DAC.

I've not listened to your headphones so I cannot comment on how they work with tubes. I can say that I strictly use tube amps myself and love them.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 16
Very new to HiFi here (well headphone and desktop stereo) but purpleangel says that your soundcard makes a good dac. If I had to guess you might only find improvement in higher bit-rates or DSD (which I don't know what that is).

I would go again with purpleangel on a tube amp if all you're looking for is a new experience. That or as Amish say's about a new pair of headphones.

One thing I have learned in my very short time in this niche hobby would be that source material is just as important as equipment. I found bandcamp.com for hifi content, but that's only for music. Personally when I am gaming I simply use my gaming headset and don't expect anything more as the source isn't close to hifi requirements.

So I guess my advice for a new experience is go for new can's, a tube amp, and/or better source material. (remember the best equipment is nothing without the proper media to drive it)

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 16
I personally don't worry so much about sound cards. Though I do run sound cards I usually just use onboard to send a signal to my external DAC which then feeds several amps. Because I use a DAC I don't require anything special in the PC itself. My current PC does not even have a soundcard installed. I have a nice Creative ZX card sitting on my desk because I left it out of my latest build.

Anyway; if you are happy with your headphones and amp maybe buy a stand alone DAC.

I've not listened to your headphones so I cannot comment on how they work with tubes. I can say that I strictly use tube amps myself and love them.
PCI>USB

If you think electronics differences are placebo, you either haven't had enough 1st hand experienced or have a bottleneck.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 16
My speakers I rarely use for music, I mainly use headphones for music. I am happy with my R70X headphones but if upgrading them would give a big difference, perhaps that is something I will do in the future. However, making this thread, I think I will keep things as they are for now. I was mainly looking to upgrade my sound card but people here say my card is not too bad. Are my headphones well liked on this forum? are there considerably better headphones out there (without spending thousands) ?

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #11 of 16
PCI>USB

If you think electronics differences are placebo, you either haven't had enough 1st hand experienced or have a bottleneck.

I'm totally confused by your statement. You quoted me so I figure you are speaking to me but I have no idea why you are telling me PCI is better than USB when i did not bring that up in anything I have said. I think electronics differences are a placebo? Where did I say that?
I haven't had enough 1st hand experience in what exactly? Or I have a bottleneck....huh? I have no idea what you are talking about.

I do not use USB for audio myself. I use optical out from PC to my DAC. I have absolutely no issue with my PC or sound system.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 16
My speakers I rarely use for music, I mainly use headphones for music. I am happy with my R70X headphones but if upgrading them would give a big difference, perhaps that is something I will do in the future. However, making this thread, I think I will keep things as they are for now. I was mainly looking to upgrade my sound card but people here say my card is not too bad. Are my headphones well liked on this forum? are there considerably better headphones out there (without spending thousands) ?

I think if you are happy then you should just stick with them. The only thing that matters is how much you enjoy the sound they produce. What i think sounds fantastic you might think sounds only ok. We are all different. If you like your cans but wish they had more bass or better mids or anything then that is when you should look into replacing them but if you are happy then by all means keep using them.

Sometimes though we just get it in our heads that we want something new. Happens to me all the time and IMO that is what makes home audio so much fun.

If you have the upgrade bug then maybe just pick up a 'second' set of headphones. Something you know will provide a different sound for you to experience.

I currently have 5 headphones and I use all five depending on the amp and or music I'm listening to. It provides a welcome change from time to time and keeps me very happy.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 16
Headphones = Audio–Technica ATH R70x
Speakers = Razer Mako 2.1
Sound Card = Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Amp = Schiit Magni 2 Uber
I am looking to take my audio experience to the next level and was wondering what direction should I go? Better sound card? Move to the Magni 3?

I'd sooner upgrade the speakers than anything else.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #14 of 16
I don't use my speakers so much because I share the house with others and don't often have a chance to use them at a volume I'd like. I mainly use them for gaming. Are the Razer Mako considered trash on this forum? Or are you simply saying I can get much better without breaking the bank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back