Upgrading from Westone 2
Oct 31, 2010 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tuahogary

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I'm new here and this is my first post so be nice 
happy_face1.gif

I have been thinking of upgrading my pair of Westone 2 but after reading from many different people from many different forums, I am even more confused than ever. I started this thread because there are very few if not no posts at all comparing the W2 to higher end IEMs.

I have bought myself a Sennheiser IE8 because I wanted more bass impact but unfortunately I didn't like the sound at all. I expected the bass to destroy my W2, but although it clearly has more quantity, I didn't find it to be any higher quality than my W2. Also, the trade-off for less separation and mid-forwardness is not worth it to me. Considering so many people put the IE8 up there with the W3 and SE530, I feel like I can't agree with them because I think the W2 with a good amp and triflanges is already better than the IE8 (tho I've never tried the W3 and SE530 myself)

I've been thinking a lot about the W3 and UM3x since I seem to enjoy the W2 signature. But some are saying the W3 has recessed mids and the UM3x is closer to the W2's signature. If so, how much improvement can I expect coming from the W2? I like my IEMS to have forward vocals and clear highs as on my W2 but what I feel it lacks is bass and soundstage. Anyone would have told me that the IE8 is supreme in that but having tried it myself I wasn't impressed.

So basically what I'm asking for is if there's any IEMs that have the separation and clarity of W2's mids and highs plus added bass impact and soundstage? Is it even worth paying another extra $150? How does the TF10pro and SE530 stack up as well as the W3 and UM3x?

Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone's there to guide me and I can elaborate further. Thanks 
darthsmile.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 20
the e-Q7 wipes the floor with the W3 and the TF10 when it comes to acoustic/vocal songs. the vocals on the e-Q7 are to die for. it is smooth and slightly warm, yet it maintains an astounding degree of clarity and detail throughout the frequency response and into the treble.

it does not have head-trumping bass, but the impact is there and was adequate for most songs. it did leave me wanting a bit more at times, but i was satisfied the majority of the time. it has much more bass than the re0 and the bass isn't thin at all if that's what you're asking. all in all, i find it to be the most musical and natural sounding IEM i've had the privilege of hearing.

EDIT: I have been itching to try the UM3x, but haven't been able to do so due to the high price. They may be for you as well. From what I've read, it appears to be a solid upgrade over the W2 while maintaining similar sound signature (warm, forward vocals, detailed, impactful bass). What has also been holding me back is that I hear that clarity (not detail) is not as good as the e-Q7.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 20
thanks for your opinions guys. maybe I was a bit harsh on the w2. don't get me wrong, they do provide beautifully controlled tight bass more than enough for most songs but like you said about the e-q7, they left me wanting more at times. another thing I should add is that I listen to flac through my samsung galaxy s and fiio e5. the galaxy s has a good sound chip, tho not the best I'm happy with it. I guess I'm asking a lot out of current universal iems atm and my real question is if there's any iems out there that are truly a worthy upgrade from the w2?

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 20
the TF10 mids are not so good. I think a Shure 530/535 could be right, but the best opinion is IMHO a direct upgrade to the UM3X.
But if that´s not enough then you have to go to customs and they are very expensive.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
The e-Q7 do not have the bass impact of the W2 if that's what you're asking for. If you want something with more bass these are not for you.

Have you tried both the e-q7 and W2? Is the bass impact on W2 that much better than e-q7?

Quote:
the TF10 mids are not so good. I think a Shure 530/535 could be right, but the best opinion is IMHO a direct upgrade to the UM3X.
But if that´s not enough then you have to go to customs and they are very expensive.

Thanks. It makes sense. I wonder how the SE530/535 mids compare to the e-q7 too.

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 20
I own the e-Q7 and have tried the Westone 2 on several occasions. In my opinion you should probably look at something else if you like big thumping bass. You'll probably be wasting your time and money if you go for e-Q7. They aren't made to satisfy basshead with skull rattling bass.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 20
Get an amp with a bass boost? It might improve the W2 sound as well as giving you your concussion. Or perhaps W3 + iBasso T3. I don't think upgrading from a penultimate to the flagship is the best choice, but it may do around the same as an amp.

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 20
does the W2 come close to the e-Q7 in terms of overall sound quality? i've been curious about trying out the W2 but never got the chance.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Get an amp with a bass boost? It might improve the W2 sound as well as giving you your concussion. Or perhaps W3 + iBasso T3. I don't think upgrading from a penultimate to the flagship is the best choice, but it may do around the same as an amp.

Amping the W2 (i use fiio e5, high gain) and playing around with the tips do help me squeeze out more bass and soundstage from it. I can say I'm happy with it as it is. It's hard to decide to upgrade because some ppl are saying the W2 can match the TF10s which are extremely good IEMs, others are saying it is significantly lesser than a W3 for example. I've never actually realized how good they were until I did an A/B comparison with the IE8 and preferred the W2. I guess I'm just afraid to splash the cash again for something more expensive but not that much better than a W2 (as my experience with the IE8). Is it also possible for an IEM to sound like an open can because I adore the MS2 but I don't think it's possible with IEMs right?

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Quote:

Amping the W2 (i use fiio e5, high gain) and playing around with the tips do help me squeeze out more bass and soundstage from it.

because low ends are always an issue with in-ears, IMO amps do the trick. however, fiio e5 does not. i found bass sounded blurry and washed, when amplified with an e5. you should try a better amp, headstage or rsa is recommended...
but if you can afford it, go with W3 and a good amp.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Quote:

Amping the W2 (i use fiio e5, high gain) and playing around with the tips do help me squeeze out more bass and soundstage from it. I can say I'm happy with it as it is. It's hard to decide to upgrade because some ppl are saying the W2 can match the TF10s which are extremely good IEMs, others are saying it is significantly lesser than a W3 for example. I've never actually realized how good they were until I did an A/B comparison with the IE8 and preferred the W2. I guess I'm just afraid to splash the cash again for something more expensive but not that much better than a W2 (as my experience with the IE8). Is it also possible for an IEM to sound like an open can because I adore the MS2 but I don't think it's possible with IEMs right?

I can offer my humble opinion  :)  I previously owned the IE8, TF10, just sold my W2's and still own the W3's. I also have the Shure 535's arriving today, so I'll be able to offer up a quick impression later... 

A quick comparison between the W2 & W3 (or as I hear them):

The W2's are warm, yet fairly balanced.  No one frequency stands out or is in your face. Their soundstage is above average, but not as large as any of the other contenders.  They do nothing wrong, or do everything well, depending on how you look at it.  They do well with every genre of music.  

The W3's are warm and more U shaped.  The mids aren't what I consider recessed or veiled like the IE8, they just aren't as forward as the W2.  The details are all there and vocals never get lost in the mix.  The bass is exceptional and draws your attention, especially at first listen.  They have the best bass I've heard in a BA IEM.  They have great impact and almost make you believe they stuffed a dynamic driver in their tiny little housing (excellent decay).  I don't hear a mid-bass hump like the IE8, although others claim they do.  The highs are just like the W2, bright and shiny, and with the Comply tips or Shure Olives there is no sign of sibilance or harshness.  If you like the W2's highs, you'll like the W3's.  All in all, they are the most fun IEM I've ever heard and still manage to wow me with detail. Oh and did I mention their exceptional bass??  

I think they are both excellent straight out of my iPhone or Clip+.  But, both are enhanced with a better amp. When I run them through my iBasso D4 the changes are subtle, but noticeable.  The D4 brings out more detail by tightening up the bass, taming the highs and letting the mids through.  It's not a cure-all by any means, or even necessary, just an enhancement.  The soundstage is also improved, especially when I rolled the opamp in the D4.  Again, due to their efficiency an amp isn't necessary.

I loved the thump of the IE8, but ultimately couldn't live with the veil over the mids or their rolled off highs.  The soundstage was amazing for an IEM, but I was left wanting more.  I would love to try them again with the D4 to see what impact that would make, but I doubt that will happen.

The TF10's didn't make it a week in my ears (bought used).  I already had the W3, so they had their backs against the wall.  The TF10's were colder, brighter and their mids were recessed to me.  Their bass was excellent, but the lack of warmth in the mids didn't agree with my ears.  So off they went.

I'd love to hear the e-Q7's, as I hear they offer exceptional mids.  From some descriptions, they are as close to a Grado headphone sound as one can find in an IEM.  They wouldn't replace my W3's they would be a compliment.

The 535's were a deal I couldn't pass up.  They should take their place beside my W3's as a mids-tacular replacement for my W2's.  But I'll know more this evening.  

Make no mistake, I am a huge fan of the W3's.  But, I'm not a fanboy by any means.  They aren't for everyone.  They might be overly warm for some, sibilant for a few, recessed for others and too bassy for the analytical crowd.  For me they just work.  I've never felt the need to EQ them up or down in any area (not a big fan of EQ'ing).  If I had one IEM to pick and live with every day, it would be the W3, at this moment.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:

I've been thinking a lot about the W3 and UM3x since I seem to enjoy the W2 signature. But some are saying the W3 has recessed mids and the UM3x is closer to the W2's signature. If so, how much improvement can I expect coming from the W2? I like my IEMS to have forward vocals and clear highs as on my W2 but what I feel it lacks is bass and soundstage. Anyone would have told me that the IE8 is supreme in that but having tried it myself I wasn't impressed.

Hi

Know what you mean.  This would be a perfect iem if it had a tad more bass.  Vocals, clarity great just missing a bit of thump. 

Also after these most iems seem quite heavy in the ear, they are that light.  Tried Monster turbines and whilst they have the thump the w2's are missing they don't have the quality.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back