Upgrading from MDR-v600s....
Jan 23, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #16 of 26
I listened to my friends V600's and it sounded like someone strapped midranges to my ears. Then I listened to them in Circuit City, and they sounded about the same. I put them on my moms head and she shreeked and said "they sound like ****!".

On both these phones there wasnt even MIDBASS, just screetchy mids and highs..

Jan 23, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #17 of 26
Xander:
Hmm, yeah.. Maybe he's not used to accurately represented bass... Ok guys, let's go to work on him.

You got that right! I bought my MDR 600s on amazon after some study into the subject... Since then, I've not had a chance to listen to better headphones, other then the grados.

Gluegun:

Oh wait, you ahve a sound blaster live?

That's about hte suckiest sound card out there.

And you need an amp--it can't drive the dt831's...

how do I know this? I have an amp, a sblive, and the dt831's. And the sblive hisses soooooooooooo much with the dt831's.... and it sounds crappy without the amp plugged in with the dt831's...

Well, I know you might like to bash stuff that's not super high quality, BUT, I know it's NOT the suckiest sound card out there... I do know it gets a LOT better, but, hey, I dont get any hiss if I mute the CD player in the audio control panel.. Yes, I want an amp, yes, I know they won't sound like they should... But, I'm getting headphones right now, and asking which one was the best on that list... Go easy on me! I've got money, but not a whole lot coming in... I gotta get stuff a little at a time.

Russ Arcuri:

If reifler wants an inexpensive upgrade to the V600s, just to test the waters while he decides whether to spend a lot more, he should get a pair of Koss KSC-35s. They demolish the V600s for sound quality, and only cost $30.

I know that I don't want to throw any more money into any headphone but the best closed can that I can get for under $500.

If I have to wait a little while while the cash builds, so be it.

However, it's sad to hear how I got mislead when I got the mdr-v600s... The KSC-35s are really that much better? For 1/3 the price? Whoa...

Jan 23, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #18 of 26
Xander:

I listened to my friends V600's and it sounded like someone strapped midranges to my ears. Then I listened to them in Circuit City, and they sounded about the same. I put them on my moms head and she shreeked and said "they sound like ****!".

On both these phones there wasnt even MIDBASS, just screetchy mids and highs..

Go easy on me! I want to get the best, but when I got my v600s 2 years ago, I couldent find anything better in my price range... If I'd only known of you guys, I'd never have gotten them... I want your experence with phones, I can't find any shops to test all of them out...

Thank you guys! You're very helpful! Glad I dident throw money away on anything yet...

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 26
Whoa there - I'd strongly suggest getting out there and listening to the headphones you're thinking of getting.

I'd say straight out from your soundcard the Beyer 250-80s will be much better suited than the 831s
Even with an amp you may prefer the sound of the 250-80s over the 831s, I know I do, but it's down to personal preference.

ie: I know the 831s sound better, but to me they're a little too cold - the 250-80s are a lot more fun and do have more bass than the 831s.
If you -really- want bass, go for the Beyer 770pros
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by reifler
I did find one that had Grado sr325s, and RS2s.

Just out of curiousity (I'm in Buffalo too), where did you find the Grados? The Speaker Shop?

You can find Senns at Stereo Chamber in Orchard Park.

Jan 24, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #22 of 26
I really think a lot of the opinions of people on this forum for the most part, but I really just don't get where people are coming from with their opinions on the DT831.

So many people had called them bright and complained about lack of bass and such that I was in the mindframe of "well, I HAVE to have closed headphones and these look like the best option, so let's risk it."

In truth, I thus far like the DT831s better than the HD600s for some things--I find jazz to be particularly enjoyable on them, for instance.

As for bass, I think the bass is very tight and detailed--perhaps moreso than the HD600. I expect that I'll be flailed for expressing that aloud.

These headphones are not yet fully broken in and I have not had opportunity to test them in comparrison on better equipment than I have. However, I would thus far think that I could only recommend them--for $50 less than the Sennheiser street (and over $100 difference retail), I think they're at least very comparable. My only hesitation would be that I agree with those who say you need an amp to drive them.

Kelly

Jan 24, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #23 of 26
If you're driving the 831s from the 120-ohm jack of the Corda, that might explain your favorable opinion of the bass. Or you may just be hearing things differently.

Jan 24, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #24 of 26
Kelly - don't get me wrong, I think the DT831s are a great pair of headphones, I'm always surprised at the level of detail they present and how musical they sound. But on the other hand, whenever I put my 250-80s on I -enjoy- whatever it is that I'm listening to more that I do with the 831s, and I certainly like the bass presence of the 770pros more, but understand that some people may feel that it's a little over the top.

I was initially recommended the 831s, but found the 770pros to be much more to my liking (and even the 250-80s for that matter)

eg: I did several days worth of a/b testing with the 250-80s and the 831s, while my initial conclusions were that the 831s were definately "better" once I stopped comparing back and forth, I found myself listening to the 250-80s a lot more.. they just sound more fun.

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
If you're driving the 831s from the 120-ohm jack of the Corda, that might explain your favorable opinion of the bass. Or you may just be hearing things differently.

Woops. Busted. I totally forgot about that. I saw Jan say in a post that he prefered the DT831 from the 0 ohm jack, but I definitely prefer it from the 120 ohm jack, even though I do agree that the HD600s sound better from the 0 ohm.

Indeed, that may be making a huge difference since it was immediately (straight out of the box) preferable on the 120 setting.

Kelly

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #26 of 26
I am going to revive this long-dead thread as it exactly addresses my question and I didn't see another one like it and thought that there was no point is starting a new one.

My question: I have some Sony MDR-V600's and I really love them. I got them for $30 at Unclaimed Baggage on a whim. My apologies to anyone who hates them or thinks that this isn't possible that anyone could truly love them or that I am an idiot and thus not worthy of feedback. Back in the day I was actually a professional live sound-reinforcement guy for 6 years, so you can get technical with me if you want.

I own the following cans: DT880 600ohm (driven by Fiio E9), AIAIAI TMA-1, Koss Pro-4A (from back in the day...), MDR-V600's, also Klipsch S4is (something is strange about the mid-high transition in them to my ears...), Apple Ear Pods (actually like those well enough for what they are...)

I find the DT880's somewhat boring at times and not nearly as comfortable as the MDR-V600s for long (multi-hour) listening sessions.

I find the TMA-1s nice for electronica (which they were obviously designed for), but they clearly have a somewhat colored sound that I just can't quite get over at times. They are a touch dark, as has been mentioned before here, and there is also something about their high-mid cut that sounds odd to me. I do like their bass better than the MDR-V600's, which are somewhat bass-light for my slightly bass-head tastes. The TMA-1s on-ear pads do eventually get somewhat painful on my ears after an hour or two, so I would prefer over-ear pads instead.

With the DT880s and the TMA-1s I realize that I am wearing headphones, something which the MDR-V600s actually allow me to often forget, and forgetting that is a real plus.

I prefer the imaging of the MDR-V600s to any of my other cans. The TMA-1s I find small, and the DT880s are somewhat vague to my ear if somewhat larger and more open. The MDRs seem to place things in a medium-sized space and I can pick out exactly where things are easily.

The midrange on the MDR-V600's just sounds clear to me. Weird? Just got used to mids sounding that way through long hours of listening to them? Hearing loss from my music business days? Maybe they actually have neutral mids... Images of the frequency response of the MDR-V6s seem to have a really flat curve, but I can't find any image of the frequency response of the MDR-V600s.

Some aspect of the MDR-V600s top end can get a bit too much at times, hence my owning the TMA-1s, which do have their uses.

I would think that I would like the DT880s more, and they are great cans, no question about it, but they are not as comfortable as their over-sized puffy ear pads would seem to indicate and at times I just feel they are missing something that I get with the MDR-V600s, as well as driving them is a bit of an issue.

The Koss Pro-4As are not comfortable at all, as I need to replace their fossilized ear-pads, and they are a bit harsh anyway... I rarely use them except for playing my bass guitar through when I need to make no noise: somehow they sound great for that.

So, what gets me something with uncolored mids like the MDR-V600s, that same amazing level of comfort for long listening/mixing (this is really important), somewhat better bass (I like bass that extends down low but is not so heavy as with the TMA-1s), and are easy to drive by things like a MacAir and an iPhone (my primary sound sources), as the MDR-V600s are way easy to drive and so listening on the fly is no problem.

Price is not too much of an object: could handle anything below, say, $600 if the cans were worth it. I am interested in what else is out there. If someone wanted to try to talk me into the $1000 or so price-range, I would definitely listen, but it would have to make that sort of difference to justify that price and meet all the requirements (extreme comfort, very easy to drive, good low-extending but not crazy bass, clear mids and highs, something uncolored-sounding) in spades. I don't need a lot of headphones, just a few good ones.

Help educate this relatively new headphone enthusiast as to the wonders of great headphones. Thanks for your expertise and guidance. Bass-head-bashers: please be gentle: I am not a total bass-head, just a mild one. I listen to a lot of electronica, but also blues, funk, classical, singer-songwriter, rock (such as Dire Straits and the like). I also use them to master some of my own electronic music on Logic Pro Studio, so something on the more-analytical and neutral through the highs and mids end of things would be helpful. I often listen to music on headphones as I am waking up in the morning and going to sleep at night with my wife right next to me, so something closed-back is probably best to avoid disturbing her.

Perhaps suggest two different cans? One for iPhone/late-night listening and one for studio analysis of mixes?

As an aside: does anyone ever use a subwoofer along with their headphones? At times I miss the body-felt aspect of music, but love the imaging and clarity of headphones over speakers...

Any constructive comments welcome,

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back