Upgrading from m50s
Mar 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Orcom

New Head-Fier
I'm a bit confused, I'll admit I only recently getting into the "head-fi" world when I bought my ath-m50's last summer. I also got an O2 along the way. Now my question is what would be the next logical upgrade? I've done tons of research on these boards and since my knowledge is very limited a lot of the vocabulary used is confusing to me. I also went to several stores around where I live to get to try some of the mid-fi headphones and only thing I could ever find are Sennheiser products. I'm sorta curious to try more open headphones, since I'll be keeping the m50s as well.

edit: I've seen a lot of praise about the HE-400, I've been hesitating to pull the trigger as a most people seem to be modding them to really enjoy them and I don't really trust my modding skills.

Budget : ~400$
Music genre : electronic, hip-hop, some rock , some classic
Amp : O2
will be used with : my computer (x-fi titanium hd)   and my zune hd

Thanks, and sorry for yet another topic about this

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 6
AKG K702/Q701 or the Beyerdynamic DT880. It's a natural upgrade over the M50 without breaking the bank (almost half the price of the HE-400), and they handle every genre very well- something to note since you seem to listen to a bit of everything.

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
AKG K702/Q701 or the Beyerdynamic DT880. It's a natural upgrade over the M50 without breaking the bank (almost half the price of the HE-400), and they handle every genre very well- something to note since you seem to listen to a bit of everything.

I would second that DT880, not the AKG's though. Both the K702 and Q701 are both relatively sensitive headphones. I also think they need amping to get the full potential from them, so that wouldn't work for you sense you said you will be using them with your Zune as well as your computer. I would also through in Sennheiser Momentum, they are a clear upgrade over the M50's and sound excellent. They can easily be driven from any portable source directly, and do scale quite well with external amps.

Also HE-400 is an excellent headphone for the money. Not many headphone can compete, and they sound great stock. Honestly, they are modded quite a bit only because people are trying to make them sound different or "improved" without having to spend a lot more money for more expensive headphones. Again, they sound good right out of the box and those come highly recommend by many on Head-Fi, especially if you are looking to take that next step into the headphone hierarchy.

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I'm a bit confused, I'll admit I only recently getting into the "head-fi" world when I bought my ath-m50's last summer. I also got an O2 along the way. Now my question is what would be the next logical upgrade? I've done tons of research on these boards and since my knowledge is very limited a lot of the vocabulary used is confusing to me. I also went to several stores around where I live to get to try some of the mid-fi headphones and only thing I could ever find are Sennheiser products. I'm sorta curious to try more open headphones, since I'll be keeping the m50s as well.

edit: I've seen a lot of praise about the HE-400, I've been hesitating to pull the trigger as a most people seem to be modding them to really enjoy them and I don't really trust my modding skills.

Budget : ~400$
Music genre : electronic, hip-hop, some rock , some classic
Amp : O2
will be used with : my computer (x-fi titanium hd)   and my zune hd

Thanks, and sorry for yet another topic about this

Heya,

Depends on the kind of sound you want.

Warm/neutral:

Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT880 250ohm
Sennheiser HD600
Sony MA900
AudioTechnica AD900X

Warm/Bassy:

Beyer DT990 250ohm
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Ultrasone PRO 2900

Very best,

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 6
how much of a difference/ what would be the difference between the DT 880  250ohm and the HE-400 if both driven by my O2. Also how much of a bass difference to they have vs the DT990. Because I do like bass but I'm no basshead either, I love nice punchy bass as long as it doesn't overwhelm everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back