Upgrades : DAC or AMP first?
Sep 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Drazalas

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! I just recently bought a ZMF Vibro, my previous set-up was Schiit modi > Emotiva Mini-x > Hifiman 5LE.
I want to upgrade my gear here, the emotiva was great with the 5LE but I want to move to tube amps and I love Schiit as a whole (their products / company image).

Thing is, for now, I only have enough budget to upgrade my amp OR my Dac, I'd upgrade my amp to a Schiit Lyr and my Dac to a Bifrost uber with USB.
Which would you upgrade first and why?

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 15
It probably depends a lot on the specific gear, but in my experience I've noticed that amps tend to mostly change the bass and soundstage, whereas dacs can give you more detail and maybe a slightly different tonal balance. Ymmv.

Going from the mini-x to the project ember (powerful hybrid tube amp, so maybe similar to the lyr?), the main difference was a more open soundstage. The mini-x is a bit congested IMO.

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 15

Thing is, for now, I only have enough budget to upgrade my amp OR my Dac, I'd upgrade my amp to a Schiit Lyr and my Dac to a Bifrost uber with USB.

I haven't used any of the equipment in this scenario, but my vote is for the amp - it just has be the more exciting upgrade.  Plus you already want to make the move.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 15
  And this is why I bothered posting a thread, opinions are all over the place ahah.

I have doubts that you will get a definitive answer here 
popcorn.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 15
if u are eyeing the LYR...it is the more interesting move..rolling TUBES.. !!
and diff tubes give diff tonality n soundstage too..

loads of FUNNNN !!! n $$$$$$$$$$$
Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

-------------------

i sold my LYR after i gotten a Darkvoice 336se...
side by side i find the DV has more blooommm..bodyyy..
and the LYR sounded constipated, too energized of sorts..
maybe i didnt spend enuf money on exotic tubes..haiz.

anyway...all the best to your hunt !!

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 15
I personally heard more of a difference when I upgraded DACs than any amp upgrade I've done. So I'd say upgrade the DAC first, you never know you may not feel the need to upgrade the amp after.

THIS!

First I had a Schiit Modi/Vali combo. Sounded great for the $$. Then I bought a Schit Lyr 2 and sold the Vali.There was an improvement, but it wasn't as big as I had thought it would be. Tube rolling made pretty much no difference. I just upgraded the Modi to a Schiit Bifrost Uber USB. Now that upgrade was very noticeable and magic started to happen. I haven't tried rolling tubes in the Lyr 2 since getting the Bifrost, but maybe now it will make a difference. Or not. My main headphones are AKG K702s.

So if your current amp is adequate to power your 'phones, then do the Bifrost Uber. I know it seems kinda backwards, but the Bifrost is a great DAC.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 15
  if u are eyeing the LYR...it is the more interesting move..rolling TUBES.. !!
and diff tubes give diff tonality n soundstage too..

loads of FUNNNN !!! n $$$$$$$$$$$
Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

-------------------

i sold my LYR after i gotten a Darkvoice 336se...
side by side i find the DV has more blooommm..bodyyy..
and the LYR sounded constipated, too energized of sorts..
maybe i didnt spend enuf money on exotic tubes..haiz.

anyway...all the best to your hunt !!

You're one evil person, now I'm considering the darkvoice after reading up on it. I'll most likely buy a Bifrost first though! Haven't seen one in the classifieds in a while.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 15
they are trying to put TWO BIG 6AS7s on the back position..
and two Mid sized 6SN7s on the front...
like a double barrelled DV336se...
this is gonna be a BLAST !

( and these tubes arent tat expensive...i collected half a dozen with prices at around 10 to 20bucks..)
vs those exotic Lyr tubes ecc88 e88cc e188cc...:p

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 15
  Hello! I just recently bought a ZMF Vibro, my previous set-up was Schiit modi > Emotiva Mini-x > Hifiman 5LE.
I want to upgrade my gear here, the emotiva was great with the 5LE but I want to move to tube amps and I love Schiit as a whole (their products / company image).

It's not outright that a DAC or amp will make more of a difference - the question is which one is lacking in a particular situation. If you are using an iPod for example the problem is more likely its 5mW output than its DAC or its relatively lower line output voltage; if you're using a smartphone, you don't have a line out, so both are necessary (in fact, in DAC upgrades, it's really the proper output stage that makes a difference when comparing a DAC to a mainstream device's built-in DAC). 

In that particular case though I wouldn't be too sure if a Lyr will make that much of a difference over the Mini-X, as I assume you are already driving the HE-5LE with its speaker output stage. Honestly, the only reason to go with a headphone amp over a speaker amp with a proper headphone driver circuit (that is, using the same circuit as the speaker output, but routed to the front and with proper low impedance output) is when you're getting an upgrade in downsizing the amplifier (which is also why I draw up a "What" in my head when someone uses a headphone amp as large as or even larger than even a Class A integrated speaker amp with a lot more inputs and outputs). I'd say save up and hold that itch off for now, then get both later if you really want to try them out, and then compare both systems (and even mix and match if you want).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back