Upgraded WA6SE ordered! As well as...
May 28, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the Pico Dac is capable of utilizing the potential of your new amp?

Yes.

Quote:

Ooooooh nice work Covenant.... Im headed in this direction soon Not quite the WA6SE though. Jealous of you truly!

Hehe thanks. I've been wanting a truly high-end tube amp for years, it was high time for one
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Do you think the Pico Dac is capable of utilizing the potential of your new amp?

Believe it or not, the Pico DAC only has more micro-detail and soundstage than using the Pico DAC/amp as a preamp, and it seems to compete well with my Apogee Mini-DAC via USB. I think he will appreciate a good amount of the potential of his WA6SE with music from a computer transport. I do prefer my PS Audio Digital Link III more, but the improvements are not huge unless I am using optical/coax 24/96 files with the PS Audio.

I have been meaning to do a review of the Pico DAC only, but haven't had the time, so consider this a mini-review/endorsement or whatever.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Im not knocking it, just curious.
smile.gif

I wouldn't have thought so either before I bought the Pico DAC/Amp about a year ago. At the time I owned an Eastsound CD-E5 cd player, which was supposedly designed very similarly to (if not copying) the Meridian G07. And I was very hard-pressed to tell the differences between the two.

When Larry let me know that the DAC-Only actually improves on the DAC/Amp when used as a source to feed a fullsize amp, I bit. I suppose the proper FET output stage and the lack of another volume control in the signal chain is audible after all.

May 30, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #37 of 56
Covenant, congrats on a wonderful wallet damaging purchase of high proportions
evil_smiley.gif
The WA6SE has been at the top of my list for a must audition amp, it looks wonderful and from all accounts and impressions one kick arse amp. I don’t suppose you’ll have it in time for the West Sydney meet?

Edit: I forgot to mention my latest wallet damage, Sabre32 DAC all bell and whistles - shipping out in July. So I’ll be busy building again.

May 30, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don’t suppose you’ll have it in time for the West Sydney meet?

This from Jack: "Your amp is scheduled to ship around 6/13." So if it gets held up by customs then probably not, but otherwise it should be there. Fingers crossed
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Edit: I forgot to mention my latest wallet damage, Sabre32 DAC all bell and whistles - shipping out in July. So I’ll be busy building again.

Do you mind me asking you how much the Sabre cost you? That would be my end-of-the-road source as well, methinks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be my end-of-the-road source as well, methinks
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL until there’s something else
wink.gif
I haven’t finalised an enclosure, inputs, output plugs or IEC socket. But the boards and components cost around $1100, that’s a version with Toslink, USB and Coaxial. Might end up in the $2000 range depending on how fancy pants I want to be.

May 31, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some questions I've been thinking of for when the Woo gets here. Should I stick to the stock tubes for the burn-in process, and switch in the Sophia/drive tube replacement after, say, 400hrs?

Should I be investing in a tube tester? How long do tubes typically last, hours-wise?

The downside to waiting to use your Sophia princess, is what if there's a problem with the tube. You have a 30 day warranty from Woo, after that you are on your own.

My Sophia princess went bad after about 3 weeks. Jack replaced it for free.

May 31, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The downside to waiting to use your Sophia princess, is what if there's a problem with the tube. You have a 30 day warranty from Woo, after that you are on your own.

My Sophia princess went bad after about 3 weeks. Jack replaced it for free.

The better alternative... is to buy your SP from Sophia, and get the 1 yr warranty... of course... for a bit more. But... you do get a 1 yr warranty for the premium.

And... I suspect that Jack would provide the same 1 yr warranty for a premium price - possibly just providing you the tube from Sophia.

May 31, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #43 of 56
I am rolling various power tubes with the stock rectifier and awaiting for the Fat Bottled 6FD7 to arrive. It is more of a burning in the BGs for now and I took the time to listen for few song each and every hour. I just completed the 50th hour today... SP in still kept in the box and awaiting the day for celebration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back