Upgraded WA6SE ordered! As well as...
May 21, 2009 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got the confirmation email from Jack that my payment has been received, with a rough ETA of 4 weeks.

I ordered:
Black WA6SE
Premium parts upgrade
Teflon tube sockets
Sophia Princess rectifier
Drive/Power tube replacements

Also on order are:
*Black Pico DAC-Only (to serve as a dedicated source for my new home rig).
*Twisted Cables 'Vortex' sennheiser cable for my HD600's - this, as I understand it, is the first one Qusp has made in this configuration, and has been newly christened the Vortex. It uses Cryoparts UP-OCC Cryo-treated copper in a double-twist, with a similar look to the Jena braided cables.
*Twisted Cables RCA to Mini interconnect, using the same wire, with Eichmann copper bullets and Cryoparts mini jack.
*Twisted Cables USB cable, using solid silver.
*Woo audio HPS-R headphone stand, in black.

Total wallet damage: approx $4100 AUD

Motto of the story, kids, is that Head-Fi is a dangerous place.
evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 56
Congrats! Smart decision with parts up-grade especially on BlackGate (but not sure in the DACT), you will never regret with your purchase. Put few hundreds of hours burn-in for the BG, be patient and you will notice changes that surprising you. Enjoy.

Edit. Oh sorry, as you are "Headphoneus Supremus", I said too much and pretending a pro.
tongue_smile.gif

May 21, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! Smart decision with parts up-grade especially on BlackGate (but not sure in the DACT), you will never regret with your purchase. Put few hundreds of hours burn-in for the BG, be patient and you will notice changes that surprising you. Enjoy.

I didnt get the stepped attenuator, only all the other upgrades. Thus its an "upgraded" WA6SE, but not a "maxed"
tongue.gif

But yeah, trying to be patient during burn-in is going to suck. I'll probably do a fair bit of listening while its burning anyway.

May 21, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 56
Congrats! I see you've done quite a damage to your wallet.
wink.gif

May 21, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I missed that you don't have the DACT, If I'm going to have the attenuator up-garde, I would consider the GoldPoint which jamato8 suggested to have a more linear control than the DACT.

I have Jack to made my amp with GoldPoint and I am receiving the unit latest tomorrow. It cost me $155 for the attenuator though and mine is now maxed.

May 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 56
Wow, all that gear on the way at once. I don't know how you stand the wait. It sounds like you're going to be in for some serious listening fun.

I got my WA6SE recently, configured just like yours, except no Sophia Princess yet; I'll get that later, for a nice jolt of improvement down the road. I didn't go for the stepped attenuator because I wanted very fine control over volume, and feared finding that I wanted to be in a place between the two steps. It's not broken in yet, but I'm already deliriously happy with my new amplifier.

May 21, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by S Smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Covenant, just curious to know why you decided against the stepped attenuator? It doesn't seem like cost was a big issue.

I dont like stepped attenuators, I prefer the usability and feel of a volume pot. Extremely accurate channel matching and slight decrease in distortion isnt so important to me.

Quote:

It's not broken in yet, but I'm already deliriously happy with my new amplifier.

I'm sure I will be as well
biggrin.gif
What headphones are you pairing yours with?

May 21, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
II'm sure I will be as well
biggrin.gif
What headphones are you pairing yours with?

HD650 and JVC's HP-DX1000. One for each jack. Seems to drive both quite well, and apparently Jack Woo has given his blessing even to having them both plugged in at the same time.

May 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 56
My Woo non stepped attenuator has very fine volume control with good balance, so I can use IEM with it as well as full size phones, and there is no hiss or noise either.

May 21, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 and JVC's HP-DX1000. One for each jack. Seems to drive both quite well, and apparently Jack Woo has given his blessing even to having them both plugged in at the same time.

Yeah, I dropped by a local audio store that sells the HD650 recently, I wanted to re-familiarise myself with their sound and how they compare to my HD600's. I tried them on a Lehmann solid state amp and an X-Can tubed amp, and they definitely liked the tubes more.

I think Senns in general just have an affinity for tubes, which is the main reason I went for a Woo amp rather than something like a 3-channel B22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back