UPGRADED receptacle needed?
Apr 3, 2007 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

axky99

100+ Head-Fier
I just move into my new apartment. I found there is none of socket is grounded in my living room. I am going to have an electrician to intall a new set of socket with grounded plug. Since I have to change the receptacle, I wonder if it's worth to buy upgraded receptacle for my system. I am looking for getting one lower price Oyaide or Furutech receptacle. I would like to hear your experience and suggestions. Thank you advance for all your inputs!!!

Apr 3, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 12
I got a hospital grade 20amp recepticle for 10 bucks at lowes. this one:
outlet.jpg
outlet_installed.jpg

There are good cryo treated ones from takefiveaudio.com too. these.

Apr 3, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 12
right now i'm looking at the PS Audio Soloist; it's a receptacle with a built in power conditioner. pretty damn nifty, and very cheap too. IMO your system would definitely benefit from it, excellent source, great cans, not heard too much about the amp but i'm sure it's superb, and very revealing cables. again i haven't heard this product, just throwing it out there.

Apr 3, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 12
I would certainly have the electrician upgrade the recepticle. The biggest benefit is a much tighter grip on the plugs.

I installed it myself. It is pretty simple if you know what you are doing.

I suggest just getting a hospital grade outlet from a hardware store.
I got mine for around $10 at Home Depot. I think it's insane to spend $50 plus on one, but that's me.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Mine looks just like Hydrocity's.

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Another vote for hospital grade.

Also, not sure if they have both the screw on and push in connectors for the wire. If so, have the electrician make the connections to the screw lugs. I suspect that they may not have the push in style on those anyway.

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 12
the hospital(green or black dot) from lowes/menards/home depot should be every recepticle in your entire home! the 24 cent "back stabbed" recepts found in most average homes are begging for problems. the most usual problem is they just stop working but there are also plenty of fires.

as was mentioned the two main objectives of the hospital grade are very simple. they grip the plug blades tighter and with more area. they have copper screw lugs for the wire. that small difference is huge for the sound quality and longevity of your equipment. for your vacuum cleaner/blow dryer/iron it will not overheat and trip the breaker or go up in smoke.

i know the whole house is a lot of money but it is a good safety investment.
i think eventually the usa national electrical code will hopefully outlaw the 25 cent ones.

i would like to add> please have an electrician do this unless you are trained to do so yourself. this is not always a simple no brainer and you could cause a fire or be electrocuted.

music_man

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the hospital(green or black dot) from lowes/menards/home depot should be every recepticle in your entire home! the 24 cent "back stabbed" recepts found in most average homes are begging for problems. the most usual problem is they just stop working but there are also plenty of fires.

as was mentioned the two main objectives of the hospital grade are very simple. they grip the plug blades tighter and with more area. they have copper screw lugs for the wire. that small difference is huge for the sound quality and longevity of your equipment. for your vacuum cleaner/blow dryer/iron it will not overheat and trip the breaker or go up in smoke.

i know the whole house is a lot of money but it is a good safety investment.
i think eventually the usa national electrical code will hopefully outlaw the 25 cent ones.

i would like to add> please have an electrician do this unless you are trained to do so yourself. this is not always a simple no brainer and you could cause a fire or be electrocuted.

music_man

i have never seen anything like that. all the stock receptacles in my house are very high quality and similar to the hospital grade i replaced with- copper screws for the positive wire , and all of them are pretty decent, though when i plug in really big totally unecessary power cords they do wiggle around. i doubt the problems are big as you state on any modern home. it could be because the house i live in was built last year though...

but if you are gonna be flipping that breaker, might as well replace a few of them.. especially near home av ones.

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 12
Just make sure you plug your computer, tv, and other noisy equipment into a difference one. that's what i'm doing.. I'm dragging an extension cable fromt eh basement to the 1st floor just for the TV and my computer so i won't have noisy electronics interfering with with audio equipment (that fixed the problems i had with my DAC too!).

Apr 3, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 12
even though most people would not think so, dragging a cord between floors,walls,dooways is both unsafe and not legal in the united states.

overall not a great idea.

music_man

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 12
The socket i plugged the cord is next to the stairs in the basement. And the TV is right next toe the stairs on the 1st floor. I can't imagine anyone tripping over it since it's not in the way or anything pulling the cord itself.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 12
well in your specific situation if only adults live in your home and you don't have drunk/clumsy visitors. then i guess it is ok. you guessed why they have the law though. it is for tripping on it. the law between walls is because it is not rated for that and if it is overloaded and overheats it is not protected like romex. up the stairs would be ok to me also. but not everyone. it's your call.

music_man

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Erm, I would strongly recommend getting *permission* from the rental office of your apartment before you start messing with the wiring. I'm pretty sure they don't want you doing anything to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back