Upgraded Little Dot MKIVSE for my HD650, good choice?
Jun 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Artie17

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using HD555's but I'm going to be upgrading to HD650's and I'm in the process of possibly buying a LD MKIVSE from a member here on Head-Fi. I wanted your opinion on whether this amp will be a good fit with the HD650's and also whether I should be looking into other amps at this price level. This is how the LD MKIVSE has been upgraded:

1. NOS 6H30P-DR Russian Super Tubes
  2. Auricap Output Capacitors
  3. Internal signal wiring upgraded to Cardas 17.5awg Pure Copper Litz
  4. Silver IEC connector
  5. Silver plated NKK power switch

What do you guys think, would this amp be marginally better than the stock MKIVSE. This will be my first amp so I wanted to get as much feedback on this subject before pulling the trigger.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 31
While my own experiences with that amp (stock) and headphones were excellent, I'm skeptical of those upgrades. The one upgrade that I might concede are the power tubes, but even when I swapped out the 6H30's on mine, the improvements were pretty marginal, and I couldn't completely swear that it wasn't just a case of placebo happening. Go for the amp with confidence, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pay more for those upgrades. If you're looking to tweak the amp's sound signature, the driver tubes are what you should really be changing. Just my 2c

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 31
Hey thanks for your feedback. If I was to order the LD MKIVSE it would cost me $435 and I just paid $500 for the one mentioned above, so I think $75 isn't that much for the upgrades listed.

Also I noticed you have a Prelude, I'm trying to get a good cable to connect the amp to my prelude. Did you use something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2

and did you plug it into the Front jack on your prelude ?

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 31
Actually, I use optical to connect from the soundcard to the DAC now, but before I picked up the DAC I used a cable like that to get a signal from the headphone output on the card. That Monoprice unit should work well enough, although when running off computers (with no external DAC), amplifiers have a way of making interference/background noise a lot more audible. You might want to set the amp to a gain of 3 or 4, just to help make sure it's not an issue.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 31
Sorry I'm a total newbie and this is my going to be my first amp, what do you mean by set to a gain of 3 or 4 , the volume?
and do you recommend getting a better cable than the monoprice one?

I should connect to my amp using the "Front" jack below right not the headphone connection on the front of my case (connected to my prelude, not onboard)

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 31
Well, no, don't use the headphone jack. More amplifiers than you want in your signal. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 31
Yeah, that's a problem with the Prelude - if you look at the bracket layout above, you're only option for analog-out is the headphone out (aka "Front"), there's no un-amped line-out like some other sound cards have. Still, miles better than running off the motherboard's onboard sound output.

@Artie: If your front panel connector is attached to the sound card, you can use that, but it creates another opportunity for the cable to pick up more interference. If possible, I'd avoid it. Get the cable a foot longer if necessary. The cable should be just fine - and won't cost much. If needed/wanted, you can grab something better/more expensive later on. I used a Blue Jeans Cable model, but I specifically needed something with heavier shielding, since my computer is open-bench.

With the MkIV, you can adjust the base gain (this is before the position of the volume knob is factored in), which is done by flipping little switches on the underside of the amp - the instruction manual gives details. You can choose between x3, x4, x5, and x10, with higher gains making the amp boost the input signal more (as well as any input interference). It's something you can play around with once you get the amp and get it set up.

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 31

Thanks for the detailed response, appreciate the help. So I guess for now I'll connect through the back of my computer with that monoprice cable and if I get a dac down the road I will probably do what you did and grab an optical cable to connect them.

Thanks for explaining how the gain settings work, I'll read more into it on the forums.

I listen to my music on Foobar with ASIO drivers in Audio Creation mode. I have the volume in Foobar set to the max and the control panel volume at 75% with bass and treble at 50% . Should I leave my setting as they are when I get an amp or go even louder because I hear some people say that the computer volume should be maxed, but If I have it maxed I think I'll blow my ear drums within a week. How are your volume settings on your pc?
Quote:
Yeah, that's a problem with the Prelude - if you look at the bracket layout above, you're only option for analog-out is the headphone out (aka "Front"), there's no un-amped line-out like some other sound cards have. Still, miles better than running off the motherboard's onboard sound output.

@Artie: If your front panel connector is attached to the sound card, you can use that, but it creates another opportunity for the cable to pick up more interference. If possible, I'd avoid it. Get the cable a foot longer if necessary. The cable should be just fine - and won't cost much. If needed/wanted, you can grab something better/more expensive later on. I used a Blue Jeans Cable model, but I specifically needed something with heavier shielding, since my computer is open-bench.

With the MkIV, you can adjust the base gain (this is before the position of the volume knob is factored in), which is done by flipping little switches on the underside of the amp - the instruction manual gives details. You can choose between x3, x4, x5, and x10, with higher gains making the amp boost the input signal more (as well as any input interference). It's something you can play around with once you get the amp and get it set up.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 31
Yeah, max your computer volume if possible. That's another benefit of using the lower gain settings on the amp - it lets you use a stronger input signal. As for any equalizer settings, I'd set them all neutral to start. Once you get used to the new equipment, you can start making small tweaks if you think it's necessary.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
Very good combination. Make sure the gain setting is maxed.

So max my Foobar volume, max my pc volume, and set the gain to x10?

If I do that I just have to make sure I turn down the volume when I switch to speakers or I will pop all the windows in my room.

Edit: I just got recommended a Wireworld cable to connect my sound card to amp. Do you guys have any experience with these cables, are they expensive ?

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #13 of 31
I have volume knob on my SE set at setting "10" which is around 7 o'clock.

Jun 4, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 31
To each their own, I suppose. Personally, if my volume knob is at 7 o'clock, that means my gain is probably too high. A lot of amps aren't at their best when the volume knob is at it's minimum or maximum. Hence, my earlier recommendation for a lower gain setting.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 31
Artie the LD MKIV SE is a good choice and the extra $75 is money well spent.
The 6H30P-DR are nice tubes to have but you'll get more out of different drivers, like the Mullard M8100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back