Jun 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CareyPrice31

Montreal Canadiens

Does anyone know where I can buy one?

I want to upgrade the cord/wire.

I'm willing to pay a lot of money :)

Thanks

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 15
Null Audio was making one for the IE8 but that has been indefinitely delayed. However, there is one available. Someone got it from Taiwan I believe. Here is the link to the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/482873/now-listening-to-sennheiser-ie8-with-upgraded-cable

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 15
I don't want to buy off some website that's not even in English lol!

We need to find someone who sells better cords!

Quote:
Null Audio was making one for the IE8 but that has been indefinitely delayed. However, there is one available. Someone got it from Taiwan I believe. Here is the link to the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/482873/now-listening-to-sennheiser-ie8-with-upgraded-cable

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 15
Ok, I won't launch the cable debate again, but here is my opinion: why the hell would one want to upgrade an excellent cable like the IE8's one? Microphonics is pretty nonexistent, the cable has a nice feel and texture to it, it is sturdy as hell (kevlar reinforced). Sound wise....well, I don't believe in Santa Claus any more, so I won't comment on that part.

To the OP, really, enjoy your new IE8, fiddle with the tips and insertion, and don't spend so much money on something that is really, really not useful. And if you really want to spend money, send me a cheque consider a portable amp that would synergize well with the IE8, like the Heron (from what I've heard). That would be a way more interesting investment, IMO.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
...  And if you really want to spend money, send me a cheque consider a ... IMO.

LOL. anyways, yeah, as suggested, I really wouldn't bother with the recabling :)

If you don't like the sound signature, then I'd suggest trying another pair of phones that are more suitable to what you like. this is assuming recabling makes a whole lotta difference.

And as Photofan1986 said, the IE8 cable quality is probably the best there is out there

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 15
It dosen't say on www.sennheier.com that it has a Kevlar®-reinforced cable like they say for example on the CX680. If it had such a cable i think they will surely specify it. I think the marketing department would praise this important feature. So what makes you so sure?

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 15
It dosen't say on www.sennheier.com that it has a Kevlar®-reinforced cable like they say for example on the CX680. If it had such a cable i think they will surely specify it. I think the marketing department would praise this important feature. So what makes you so sure?

I responded in the other thread (where you posted the exact same thing).

To the OP, don't waste your money. The IE8 cable is fantastic, and as stated, there are many better ways to change the sound signature, if that's your goal. Changing sound through cable upgrades is snake oil.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 15
It's funny on how many people are against buying a cable for ie8.  I'm sure a few people here would actually like it if they tried it instead of bashing something they haven't even heard.

Anyways, here is a thread on here where I highlighted some of the differences I found with a ebay cable called "night stalker".

Here's the link and my impressions are on the 17th post:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527919/sennheiser-ie8-cable-upgrade-from-ebay/15

Also I don't think the OP is looking for something to drastically change the sound signature.  Cable changes are more of subtle so obviously there are gonna be better ways to change sound signatures. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 15
There's a reason why makers of "high end" cables routinely refuse to participate in public and published double blind tests... snake oil.

Basically, the only way an expensive cable is going to improve anything is if the original cable was utter crap to begin with, which is very unlikely to be the case with the IE8's. And in that case, a well made and reasonably priced cable would do just as well.

Let's not forget the words of P. T. Barnum... Monster built a business out of it.

Now I have personal experience with interconnects, and I don't for a second believe in expensive electrical plug cables, but I will grant a slim possibility that there could be a slight, but discernible difference with silver, for low voltage, low impedance requirements, over a reasonable distance. I'm certainly willing to try it if anybody wants to send me some expensive silver IE8 cables. :D (But please, nothing under $400 - I have standards!)

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
There's a reason why makers of "high end" cables routinely refuse to participate in public and published double blind tests... snake oil.

Basically, the only way an expensive cable is going to improve anything is if the original cable was utter crap to begin with, which is very unlikely to be the case with the IE8's. And in that case, a well made and reasonably priced cable would do just as well.

Let's not forget the words of P. T. Barnum... Monster built a business out of it.

Now I have personal experience with interconnects, and I don't for a second believe in expensive electrical plug cables, but I will grant a slim possibility that there could be a slight, but discernible difference with silver, for low voltage, low impedance requirements, over a reasonable distance. I'm certainly willing to try it if anybody wants to send me some expensive silver IE8 cables.
biggrin.gif
(But please, nothing under $400 - I have standards!)

I'll say it once and I'll say it again, actually try it before you bash it. Sure you've tried interconnects but that isn't a headphone / iem cable.  Besides that, your opinion is totally based on biased unless you magically just tried a different cable within the time span of your last post. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 15
I'll say it once and I'll say it again, actually try it before you bash it. Sure you've tried interconnects but that isn't a headphone / iem cable.  Besides that, your opinion is totally based on biased unless you magically just tried a different cable within the time span of your last post. 

I admit that my opinion is biased by a rudimentary understanding of electronics and a healthy dose of common sense... but I will try it if someone sends me cables!

I'm not about to spend my own money to prove a claim which I'm already confident is true... but I'm not adverse to trying either. Nothing would thrill me more than to be proven wrong!

I have a feeling this dance has been done before on Head-Fi (it's been done in every other audiophile forum) so there's not much more to say...

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 15
I agree, there's nothing more to say to someone who's so biased that they wouldn't even try a 50 dollar replacement cable that could be sold for near full price if he doesn't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back