Upgrade to SR 009?
Sep 29, 2013 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

snaps11

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I currently have a Cavalli Liquid Glass, LCD 3, and HD 800. Is the SR 009 really worth getting rid of all 3 and switching to a Liquid Lightning 2? Just contemplating if I would really be trading up in this situation as the two sets I have now do a good job of covering a wide range of audio spectrum.

Also if all of the gear mentioned here only has 10-15 hours on it tops is $6000 to $6500 a fair assumption? The LCD 3 would come with 2 original single ended cables, a balanced cable, and a brand new 8ft q audio red balanced cable with an additional single ended adapter. All pristine condition with original packaging. Better to bundle or break it up? Thanks

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 23
I’m assuming your not happy and looks like you setting yourself up for another round of disappointment. Unless your going to audition equipment as this level with your own ears this thread will lead you nowhere fast.

What would help is to explain your musical tastes, how loud and how long you listen for, what you like or don’t like with your current system, what DAC are you using?

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 23
It's subjective. It depends on what type of music you listen and your preferences.

The 009 is objectively a better can, no doubt, but it does not do everything better than the LCD3 and/or HD800. If you sell everything to move to the SR-009 you may realize it was really an upgrade but you lost something in the way and you miss it. Or you don't miss it. This is the issue.

I have a 009 electrostatic rig and it is my reference but I also have a dynamic rig that I enjoy immensely and I keep fine-tuning. For instance I find the HD800 has an impact not matched by the SR-009 and the soundstage is marginally better. The LCD2 rides the bass (I assume the LCD3 too, never heard it) whereas the SR-009 'only' presents it. But with awesome control.

Arturo

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 23
Agreed with Johnw on this.  You really need to audition before jumping in.  Your current set up will at least give you a variety of flavours.  Are you unhappy with your current setup or are you just tantalized by reports from others about the 009's?                                                                                       

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 23
Not unhappy at all. I do like the Sq overall. But I'm never opposed to upgrading. The SR 009 appears the way to do that. There isn't an easy way to audition around here is the problem.

As far as preference goes I lean more hd 800 than lcd-3. To me the lcd 3 sound stage doesn't even come close. Comfort in comparison is lacking.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 23
then you might enjoy the Sr-009 quite a bit since it is more like the hd 800, but the hd 800 still has more soundstage. 

i've been asking myself as well whether the sr-009 is worth it or not, you just have to listen to them i think before you sell everything and buy SR-009, unless of course, you have enough money to own or audition everything at the same time.

i personally was considering but now i am very happy with T1 and HD 800.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 23
If you like the HD-800s, I'd stick with them and find a good tube combo for them. I'd get a far better DAC before considering 'stats to be honest.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 23
If you like the HD-800s, I'd stick with them and find a good tube combo for them. I'd get a far better DAC before considering 'stats to be honest.

Any suggestions? Would prefer if it was made in the states or at minimum could be serviced here.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 23
I am pleased the performance of my balanced HD800 using MSB platinum CD station III as source. You may want to have the MSB IV signature DAC a try, which can be found as used in Audiogon.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 23
IMHO, source is the key and more important than Headphones itself in a High-end system. You will never know how good the headphone will sound without a proper source and you will never get satisfied by simply switch the headphones.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 23
Source is important.  However, the variance between sources is not what it used to be.  Personally, I think that with today's computer-based audio DACs, the difference between decent models is narrower and certainly orders of magnitude lower than differences in transducers.  Then again the Modi is "good enough" for me in non-critical applications as long as I like the headphones so we may just be coming from different places.  That doesn't mean I can't appreciate a great DAC (I'm currently setting up my home audition for a DAC IV Signature) but I wouldn't push it on anyone as a requirement for proper source as much as I may enjoy it myself.  

I would agree though, that a switch of one component in the rig (DAC) would make more sense than switching amplifiers and headphones, especially as the DA-160 is a bit disappointing compared to what's on the market these days.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 23
  Source is important.  However, the variance between sources is not what it used to be.  Personally, I think that with today's computer-based audio DACs, the difference between decent models is narrower and certainly orders of magnitude lower than differences in transducers.  Then again the Modi is "good enough" for me in non-critical applications as long as I like the headphones so we may just be coming from different places.  That doesn't mean I can't appreciate a great DAC (I'm currently setting up my home audition for a DAC IV Signature) but I wouldn't push it on anyone as a requirement for proper source as much as I may enjoy it myself.

I would agree though, that a switch of one component in the rig (DAC) would make more sense than switching amplifiers and headphones, especially as the DA-160 is a bit disappointing compared to what's on the market these days.

Yes, Radio_head I agree with your opinion. Due to the limitation of computer, computer-based DACs will not generate as huge difference as tranditional DACs. However, HD800 is very sensitive to source, so it should be fed with a decent source to exploit its potential. Same thing will occur in regards to SR-009, so I would suggest to setup a good source and then one would have better idea about which headphone he wants.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 23
I'm no where near getting into Summit fi, but I've gotten a Audio GD 10es2 and Hm 801 lately, and honestly... I can see how source makes a big differance. Even with my own cans, my w1000x in particular sounds a little thin out of the Audio GD 10Es2, as it's a little to clean [thinking tube for my MODDED w1000x] where as on the other hand my HE 400 and DT 880 sound more open and weighty out of the AGD 10ES2

So it seems the differances in the Dacs [and amps even] make a big differance. I can imagine with more expensive gear it's get even more finnicky. Still I was about to sell my w1000x when I got my hm801... that first day that I plugged into the 801 was a shocker! It REALLY made the w1000x SING. with more clarity and delicacy than my old oDac n mStage combo did.

So if a dac/amp can make a notable differance on mid fi, at ur level it should be equally as important! I should also note my Dt 880 600 ohm, while it was always loud enough out of SE amps... it never really opened up [imo] until I balanced it and drove it with 600/mw the extra power really gave the bass a little more texture and authority, did the same for the low mids, tightend the sound made it a little more tactile. Which for the Dt 880 is an excellent addition! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back