Upgrade to M50?
Feb 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MaxMusic

Head-Fier
Is there a more expensive alternative to the M50 that shares some of its qualities: 
  1.  Easy to power
  2. Accurate
  3. Relatively portable

The M50 looks great, but i'm just worried that It wont have a good enough sound. Are there any cans that are like the M50s, just more detailed (and more expensive)? Id hate to buy these and think Beats Pro sounded better 

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 6
You may want to list your music preferences and your budget.

Does it have to be a full-sized headphone?  You can find some good alternatives in the portable headphone section (e.g. dba-02 fits your criteria).

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Well I'm not really sure why you'd want to deliberately spend more money. Just remember, higher price doesn't always equate to higher quality, which is a lesson I've learned over the years. I've had my M50's for more than 2 months now and they're terrific. If you're worried about them not having good enough sound, I'd do some searching on here and read what others think. That's what I did before eventually deciding on them and the rave reviews I found here convinced me to buy them. However it seems like all of a sudden they're in high demand so finding them for sale online not marked-up over $150 might be a bit tough.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Theoandtheb is right, but if you monitor the price on Amazon, then you'll see that they go up and down. While searching for my M50s I saw the price reach a high of ~$190.00 and dip down to ~$116.00. Don't buy headphones on eBay unless it is from an authorized seller, which they usually will advertise or you can verify on the brand's site. Otherwise, you have to be carfeul not to get conned into buying fake headphones, which is common.

Quote:
However it seems like all of a sudden they're in high demand so finding them for sale online not marked-up over $150 might be a bit tough.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 6
I picked up some M50s about a month ago. I am simply amazed that someone can build a headphone that sounds this good at this price point. Don't let the price fool you. These things rock. A few days ago I bought HD650s. So far I am not blown away. I didn't really expect to be, as I know their not really that kind of "jump out at you" HP, they need some time to break in, and there is much I can do to help them reach their potential. My point is that I wanted something "nicer" than the M50, just like you. At the moment - the M50s are looking SWEET!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back