Upgrade to HF5's from MC5 or buy new SHR440's?
Aug 22, 2012 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

softrally

Head-Fier
Hi there, 
I am willing to buy the Etymotic HF5's, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to buy them if I already have the MC5's. I've been having some seal problems with the MC5's probably because of the bigger unit size. The SHR440's are also tempting as I heard them a few days ago and they sound awesome. If I bought them, they would be my first pair of full-sized headphones. I can get both the HF5's and the SHR440's for about the same price- something around $120 when converted to US dollars. Which would be a better choice? The Ety HF5's or the Shure SHR440's? I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

P.S. I listen mostly to alternative.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm an IEM man so I say go for the HF5 because it is a substantial upgrade over the MC5, also you can get the cobalt blue HF5 from Amazon for $100.  I just recently got mine back and forgot how good they sound only small downside is the smaller more intimate soundstage though its still cohesive with excellent separation.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I'm an IEM man so I say go for the HF5 because it is a substantial upgrade over the MC5, also you can get the cobalt blue HF5 from Amazon for $100.  I just recently got mine back and forgot how good they sound only small downside is the smaller more intimate soundstage though its still cohesive with excellent separation.

Hmm...I just noticed that the HF5's are sold out in my country but I can still get the HF2 for about $130...That's not going to make much a difference with having the HF5 shipped internationally from Amazon. I guess I'll think about it a little more.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 6
Rest assured that the HFs really do sound enough better than the MCs to be worth the money. More extended, more transparent top and cleaner, tighter bass.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 6
I haven't tried the SHR440, but the HF5 is amazing for the price. Switchblade precision. I use mine everyday and it's such an "intelligent" sounding IEM due to it's accuracy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back