Upgrade to Grado / Alessandro MS1 ??
May 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rmt5

New Head-Fier
I really enjoy my Alessandro MS1s, but am thinking about upgrading. Ideally, I'd like it to be known for comfort in long durations and also NOT need to be driven by an amp to sound its best. Any recommendations? I'm deliberately not putting down a price range, as I figure that headphones that don't need to be driven by an amp don't really get THAT high in price anyway.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

May 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 9
The problem is that your "no amp" requirement drastically cuts down the available options that might be better than the MS1.   Grado/Alessandro is out because of your comfort requirement.  Try the Senn HD 598.  It will compliment your MS1. 

You did not mention what will be driving these cans.

May 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the response. My iphone (and macbook pro via nuforce udac) will be driving them. I'm pretty much trying to decide between the Senn HD 595 and the ATH-A900. Any opinions there? I mostly listen to hip hop and renaissance/baroque choral music (oddly enough). 

May 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for the response. My iphone (and macbook pro via nuforce udac) will be driving them. I'm pretty much trying to decide between the Senn HD 595 and the ATH-A900. Any opinions there? I mostly listen to hip hop and renaissance/baroque choral music (oddly enough). 

The 595 is a discontinued model, but I'd still pick it over the A900 which I find to be lifeless and soulless.  That said--you will probably find the bass that each has to offer very anemic for hip hop.  Also I have found that the A900 underperforms without an amp, despite the fact that it is efficient.  Am not sure about amping this Senn, but if its like the later HD 5x8 line, you'll probably be OK.

May 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Ah, sorry. I meant to say Senn 598s. Also, if it matters, most of my files are 320kbs MP3s.

The only question that raises is: are you buying too much headphone for your limiting source of music?--not necessarily which one of the two listed is the best.  An argument can be made that you will be doing just as well (or nearly so) for now with a good $100 =/- can.

May 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Interesting. So your opinion would be that I'm maxing out the sound from 320kbs mp3s with my current MS1s? 

Heck no you're not maxed out.

Don't tell anyone, but I've listened to HD-650's straight out of my iphone 4s and it sounded great.  Do you like the sound sig of the MS1?  If so, why not try a Grado a little higher up the food chain.  If you want something with a little less treble you could try the HD558 or HD598.

I am waiting on a Hifiman HE-300 to arrive that I'm planning on using right out of an iphone with 320kbs files.  I'll report back with my findings...

May 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Heck no you're not maxed out.

Don't tell anyone, but I've listened to HD-650's straight out of my iphone 4s and it sounded great.  Do you like the sound sig of the MS1?  If so, why not try a Grado a little higher up the food chain.  If you want something with a little less treble you could try the HD558 or HD598.

I am waiting on a Hifiman HE-300 to arrive that I'm planning on using right out of an iphone with 320kbs files.  I'll report back with my findings...

I essentially disagree.  Now matter how good your headphones, speakers, etc. they can not sound signicantly better that the sourse of your music.  That old 78 RPM record will neverf sound great no matter what can you use to hear it.  MP3's of course are better than a 78, but they are lousy compared to other formats--including quality vinyl 33 1/3 RPM record albums from decades ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back