Upgrade suggestion for westone um2
Jun 12, 2014 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

deepoison

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I've been using Westone UM2 from past 2 years. One fine day, they got washed with my pants and my left bud is not working. So, I am looking to buy a new pair of earphones, which I am looking for suggestions.

I am not an audiophile, but I listen to music a lot with my Galaxy SIII (mostly flac or 320kbps).I listen to Indian filmy music ( which will be a mix of genres.....so couldnt really classify the type of music but will be close to classical).

I owned brainwavz m2 before (that i gave it to my sis later), which had a narrow soundstage and the detail was lacking at times. As I upgraded to westome um2 and found them better in terms of soundstage and detail. However, some instruments in background were non-existent with um2 that were present with brainwavz, the music was very dull without life and made me feel brainwavz were better compared to westone um2. Adding to that, fatigue increased with um2. I used spend 7-8 hrs a day with brainwavz m2 that dropped to 1-2 hrs now. I thought of upgrading them, but refrained from buying one without trying any piece of earphone. As I stay in India, I never got any such chance in past 1 and half year. Now luckily/unluckily, UM2 got washed off and I like to go back to my old days of enjoying music. Can Someone suggest me good piece of earphones in around $300-500? 

I am thinking of Shure SE 535 as I read good reviews about it. However, questions remain.. are they more musical than um2? Design of both SE535 and UM2 are similar. Are these heavy in fatigue like UM2?

Thanks in advance,
Pradeep

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 14
I recommend you take a look at the Westone W40's before springing $500 for the Shure 535's. IMO, much more musical especially for female vocals and classical, my two primary listening types.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks drewhaj, lofiears & somi for the suggestion!!! Unfortunately, I couldnt follow ur suggestion..... I have ordered an used pair of 535 (costing $290) just before seeing ur reply. Hopefully SE535 stays musical too

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 14
UM2 to SE535 :  Not quite as smooth.  More forward sounding and a bit more detail.  Less lush sounding.  I would consider it a small upgrade.

UM2 to Pro30:  Definitely an upgrade.  As mentioned, a bit better bass and treble but the soundstage is slightly collapsed and small.  It is a very intimate sound.  Some think it is a little claustrophobic.  I would put Pro30 and SE535 on even footing or slight edge to SE535....just different tastes.

Yes, W40 would be the best of the 4 above IEM's.  It's not terrific in any one area but fair to say it does all of the good things that the above IEM's do and does it quite well.  I think W30 would be a step up as well against all 4 for slightly less $$.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 14
  Hey Guys,

I've been using Westone UM2 from past 2 years. One fine day, they got washed with my pants and my left bud is not working. So, I am looking to buy a new pair of earphones, which I am looking for suggestions.

I am not an audiophile, but I listen to music a lot with my Galaxy SIII (mostly flac or 320kbps).I listen to Indian filmy music ( which will be a mix of genres.....so couldnt really classify the type of music but will be close to classical).

I owned brainwavz m2 before (that i gave it to my sis later), which had a narrow soundstage and the detail was lacking at times. As I upgraded to westome um2 and found them better in terms of soundstage and detail. However, some instruments in background were non-existent with um2 that were present with brainwavz, the music was very dull without life and made me feel brainwavz were better compared to westone um2. Adding to that, fatigue increased with um2. I used spend 7-8 hrs a day with brainwavz m2 that dropped to 1-2 hrs now. I thought of upgrading them, but refrained from buying one without trying any piece of earphone. As I stay in India, I never got any such chance in past 1 and half year. Now luckily/unluckily, UM2 got washed off and I like to go back to my old days of enjoying music. Can Someone suggest me good piece of earphones in around $300-500? 

I am thinking of Shure SE 535 as I read good reviews about it. However, questions remain.. are they more musical than um2? Design of both SE535 and UM2 are similar. Are these heavy in fatigue like UM2?

Thanks in advance,
Pradeep

Yes,  they will sound more musical. The 535's will sound more polished with a lush midrange, deeper bass notes and slightly rolled off highs. However, if you were to go Westone, the W series would be the way to go. On another note, I had the chance to audition the um20s and I quite liked them, very comfortable as well. You may want to audition the W20's and save the rest of the money for an amp/dac to go with your S3. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 14
the w4r and se535 are different and both have positives and differences, but both are great iem's personally i believe both of them are better than the um2 easily. just my opinion also i have both w4r and se535 also demoed the um2 also have owed the um3xrc also.so i have a wide range of knowledge of some of these iem's

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 14
I highly recommend the W30 as a very nice significant upgrade to UM2.  The amount of bass and level of midrange will be very similar BUT ( I am a big fan of UM2)  you will get better treble clarity and a more open sound (larger soundstage).  That's it!  You are not changing much of the sound beyond that.  A complete and direct improvement for  a very affordable price.  W30 is best bang for buck IEM n Westone's entire line.

This is a simple recommendation.  Gotta trust me.  Just check my sig.

(or Pro50 would be the ULTIMATE UM2 upgrade but that will set you back $650)......but it's heavenly.....

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 14
Was gonna get Westone 30 but came across of almost new Westone 3 and WOW what a upgrade, for sure was not expecting this much, Bass (tight and more powerful), Clarity (improved as well), Soundstage (just seems more open/ alive/ more realistic like you there). For now just running off iPhone 6 but thinking of getting A&K Jr.
Westone um2 for sale now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back