Upgrade Path from JVC HA-RX700, Gaming & Rock
Jul 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Kursah

100+ Head-Fier
Well I love my JVC's, they've been great and imo were a great re-introduction into the headphone world after many years of using gaming headsets. But I'm already considering upgrading or adding to my collection. I want to continue with a closed headphone that has a decent soundstage (for gaming primarily), has decent bass (improved upon the 700's), improved mids and hi's of course, without breaking the bank. Considering what I've heard the 700's do for such a budget price ($33 shipped at the time), it seems I'll have to spend a few multiples of that to really improve on them for my needs. As I said earlier I do a lot of gaming, music-wise I primarily listen to rock/hard rock/metal...bands like metallica, pantera, slayer, nin, some classic rock, etc. So far the JVC's have proven to perform quite well for the tasks.

I've done some research and come down to these 3 as possible candidates due to a $200 max budget...pref. $150 or less though, if you have better suggestions or agree with one of my choices please voice up!

Denon AH-D2000 - My worries are durability, they'll stay at home on w/my PC. They seem to have the sound/soundstage improvements I'm looking for but are also at the top of the price spectrum. Many seem to like them, but some dislike their bass...I do like plenty of bass within reason.

Shure SRH840 - These also seem to have what I want for the most part, not much as-far-as gaming with them that I could find though. I don't have experience with monitor headphones so I'm unsure if this is a good way to go or not...though their durability is another feature I'd like to have. Price is also in the upper end of the spectrum plus they're extremely new at this point.

JVC HA-DX3 - A tad less bass than the D2000's, but from what I've been told they do have a slightly larger soundstage in comparison to the denons. They're also around half the price of the above 2, I'm not sure if I'd be missing out on a better investment if I snagged these though.

There are some others I'm considering too, the Beyer DT770-80's, AT A700's (maybe 900's if found at sub-$200 prices). Frankly I want to find something to replace the 700's in the future that will treat me well in both aspects, I don't need perfect, if I did I'd pay a lot more for it, I'm not that picky on music but I do believe if I'm going to pay up to 6X what I did on the JVC's, there better be a noticable improvement in all areas, not just a "sorta" improvement ya know? I've been waiting to post this thread, as I have done as much research as I can stand which helped me narrow down to those three overall. Thanks for your time, and I know it's another "which headphone" thread in the mass of them being posted this weekend, but I don't want to hijack another thread that is after different goals from mine.

beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 51
One vote for the DX3, could you tell me why you think that'd be the one to go with from that group? I'm already impressed with JVC's bang for the buck on the low-end of the spectrum, and considering it's the cheapest of the bunch might make it a better value too. Still a part of me really wants to try the Denons and Shures out...wish there was a place here to do so.

How are monitor headphones like the Shures for gaming? I hear the Shures are good for rock music, but being they're so new maybe I shouldn't consider them at all for my needs...I dunno.

:Beerchug:

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 51
Don't have the other two headphones, but I do own JVC modded RX900, modded RX700, and the DX3. Paired with my Compass the DX3 are in another league from RX700 altogether although I won't say much else since I'm still in the process of burning them in. After I believe they have been burned in long enough, expect a mod thread from me for them. JVC phones has the habit of putting those weird felt stuff in every one of their full size cans methinks.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 51
I've only had the Auzen Forte for about 5 days, but so far it's really performing quite well, even in comparison to my old X-Fi Xtreme Music, there is a noticable difference in sound and sount output (music/games), needing less EQ to achieve the sound I'm after, which is quite nice and suprised me too.

I'll definately lead more towards the HA-DX3 at this point, it seems I'll save some cash in the process too if I do decide to take that route. Any point into looking any further at the Denons or Shure's for my purpose? Thanks for the replies thus far!
biggrin.gif

Edit: Yeah I did notice a slightly improved mid and treble increase removing the felt on the 700's. I can't justify spending $350-400 on a headphone amp, so my Forte will have to be put to work, though I may replace the opamp in the future...thus far I'm happy though. How does the DX3 compare to the 700 comfort-wise? I let my JVC's burn in for about 50 hours before I really sat down and listened to them after the first night, and I did notice they opened up a good bit, not much has changed since then till I added the Forte into the equation. I'm definately interested in modding, I'm not afraid to take something apart and tweak it if there's a worthy return...I did try stuffing the 700 cups, but didn't like how it changed the sound. But the felt removal was definately worth the 2 minutes it took.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 51
I think I'm gonna steer clear of the Shure's for now, from what little I can find it has a smaller sound stage than the Denons, which has a smaller soundstage than the DX3's. Now soundstage is important so that's a point for the denons and a couple points for the DX3's. But it seems the DX3's bass is a tad less and a little more boom where the Denons seem to have a tad more punch without need as much adjustment to get there. I'm still up in the air as-far-as where to go next though, so please keep the suggestions coming!

beerchug.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 51
On the comfort wise point, it is excellent. Unlike the RX700 where the plastic part always touched the tip of my ear (Slightly annoying) DX3 doesn't do any of that. Also, unlike the RX700 where you are likely to re-adjust everytime you put them on, DX3 requires you to only adjust them once and put them on and off with ease. The cloth pads don't require break in from the start and doesn't feel intrusive at all. If you do get some stuff on the pads, you can easily just pop off (literally) the pads and wash them.

So yeah, no problems on that part.

Think I'm going to do the mod tomorrow and see what happens. I think hundred hours of burn in is good enough to get rid of the variables of testing between stock and modded.

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 51
I have heard only the d2k's so I'll say a few kind words about them. Like I said in the other thread they are great for gaming and they make all kinds of metal splendid. I really must say though that if you do end up getting the d2k's it will certainly be to your advantage to get an amp for them, not to say that they absolutely need an amp but they sound so much fuller and more powerful when you give them enough juice, your auzen forte should do a nice job driving them likewise. Also, to respond to what you said about the cup hinges looking weak in the other thread, I would partially agree with you there. They do seem like fragile headphones at first but they do feel pretty sturdy IMO and I have not had a single problem with them falling apart but that could be partly because I treat them like a newborn baby. Best of luck to you in deciding!

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 51
Sweet man, looking forward to more of your insight with the post-burnin experience and post-mod experience. I'm still torn between these and the denon 2000's, at this point it's 50/50, but I have read the DX3's have a better soundstage...I guess the best way would be to try both out, but unfortunately I cannot so I'm gonna take the helpful words of folks like you. So far this thread has been strongly for the DX3...which makes me feel better about spending around $100 on a pair, and leaves me wondering if the Denons are worth 2X that for the investment. I might just grab a pair of DX3's and see what happens, though I may paint the cans, that bronze color is kinda ugly imo. But if they sound good enough I could care less how they look!

Keep the info coming please! Thanks again Doorknob, LingLing and 1Time, you guys are strongly swaying me towards the DX3's. I was even talking to a guy via PM that sold his D2000's in favor of the HARX700's, but I've talked to a guy that owns all 3 and he prefers the DX3's and Denon 2000's, stating that
Quote:

the denon d2000 is superior to the dx3 mainly in bass. it just hots a lower note. however, the dx3 can handle a ton of bass eq'd and amped in so its really only giving a little ground in the bass dept.

for gaming i prefer the denon and dx3. the denon has more bass impact-which i love, the dx3 has better 3d soundstage

as so you know- all headphones have shortcomings somewhere. i have read that the denons sometimes break at the yoke swivels, and the dx3/dx1 squeak at the joint where the headband joins the cup (mine did and i rubbed a little wd40 on with a paper towel)

I would really like good punch and impact from the bass, yet not something totally fake and unrealistic. But it seems the DX3's are damn solid for the price, which is a lot easier to swallow than the D2000's at this point. But the D2000's seem so damn popular it's hard to ignore them...I just wanna make sure I make the right choice. At this point I'm not buying a new set, but I could decide tonight, tomorrow, next week, month, etc...I like the 700's, but I do feel my ears pressing against plastic like you said Doorknob, and after a good 2-3 hours I gotta take them off. Any way I could getcha to take a side-by-side picture of the 700's and DX3's so I can reference their size a little better? It almost looks like the cups on the DX3's are smaller but angles can change depth appearance. Thanks again!

EDIT: Quote:

Originally Posted by Remains /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard only the d2k's so I'll say a few kind words about them. Like I said in the other thread they are great for gaming and they make all kinds of metal splendid. I really must say though that if you do end up getting the d2k's it will certainly be to your advantage to get an amp for them, not to say that they absolutely need an amp but they sound so much fuller and more powerful when you give them enough juice, your auzen forte should do a nice job driving them likewise. Also, to respond to what you said about the cup hinges looking weak in the other thread, I would partially agree with you there. They do seem like fragile headphones at first but they do feel pretty sturdy IMO and I have not had a single problem with them falling apart but that could be partly because I treat them like a newborn baby. Best of luck to you in deciding!

I'll be sticking with the forte for a while, I just got it last week and so far I've been really impressed by it's performance with the 700's thus far. But my biggest worry is those damn hinges, you definately aren't making my decision on DX3 vs D2000 any easier! But I really appreciate you taking the time to post here too! I want as much info from experienced listeners as possible. I'm pretty nice to my headphones, they get hung up when not in use and are not generally abused, though my gaming headsets were treated a lot worse I have since changed that rough habit. Thanks again!

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 51
Hi Kursah, you already know my opinion so I won't add to it, I'm really interested to see what others suggest. While I haven't heard the DX3's I can't see them being a major upgrade to be honest, I also think the D2000s are not as defined as the rx700s, I would put there treble about 3/4 that of the JVC's. I'd be interested to find out how the Auzen X-Fi Forte compares to the likes of the Yulong DAH1 or similar Amp/DAC.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 51
Well it always helps to have some that disliked a product overall, part of why I haven't bit the bullet on any yet is because of the pro's and con's. I really don't wanna buy something I'm dissapointed with or will turn around and feel the need to sell right away. I'm sure the Auzen doesn't hold a candle to a better quality dedicated dac/amp, but for my needs it is a perfect fit with simplicity, support and features.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 51
Well, I guess my bit of advice is going to sound unorthodox compared to what the other posters have offered here. I've had the RX700 unmodded for about 8-9 months, obtained the RX900 (also unmodded) about 2 months after I got the RX700 and I just recently got the DX3 shipped my house in the US (like stated in the sig, I've yet to put them on for the first time). I can’t give you any comparison of the RX700/900 vs. the DX3 right now because I am not in the US right now but I’m sure ourfpshero can shed some light onto that debate. I’m sure you’ve read his posts already though.

Even though I started out with closed headphones, in the time that I've been in China, I decided to try the open headphone route. I realize that the lack of bass will sound completely weird (it did to me at first) but the more I listened to my HD595, the more I liked it. It was a different feel. On the same audio source (my laptop), it was crystal clear, vocals were more forward, the soundstage was wider and it was detailed. Much more detailed. I completely forgot about the lack of bass after listening to them for several weeks and finding the RX700 lacking in numerous aspects so yesterday, I gave away my RX700 to my cousin.

Over here in Shanghai, I also got the opportunity to listen to Denon’s AH-D2000. Although the D2000 definitely looks like a nicely designed headphone, I felt like there are some qualities about them that made me say, “Well, that doesn’t sound quite right.” The bass is certainly present and has a good impact but the highs were somewhat harsh (might go away with burn-in since the headphones looked brand new in the store). I felt like I was almost back home in my room, listening to my RX900. Both had ample bass with recessed vocals (relative to the HD595) along with hot, sweaty ears after half an hour of use. I think the hot ears issue is relatively common with closed phones using pleather/leather pads. The Denons are definitely more comfortable compared to the RX700/900 though because there’s a noticeable reduction in clamping force. The Denons have a noticeable V shaped frequency response with upward slopes at the lower and the higher end. I don’t feel like you’ll hear much of a difference going to a Denon D2000 from an RX700. From a home-usage standpoint, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with a decent open headphone.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #14 of 51
@RallyMaster

FWIR...

If interested in only using headphones that are not modded, the RX700 and RX900 may not be the best choices. Each are well known for being preferred after modding. I own a modded RX900. The felt removal helps the highs. Varying amounts of polyfill tunes the bass. And vocals are more forward after modding.

I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised by the HADX3 IF you amp it.

As much as I enjoyed my 120 Ohm HD595 from a H/K receiver with jazz music, its faults were too much for me. Bass impact was not there for other music, and there was a graininess in the lower highs.

I'm listening to my modded RX900 right now, and the HD595 never came close to this bass performance: modded RX900 = 8/10, HD595 = 3/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back