Upgrade Path from JVC HA-RX700, Gaming & Rock
Jul 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #16 of 51
the dx-3 is bass shy unless well amped. then it is bass beautiful

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very interested in these, what do you amp them with and how do they compare to your D2000s?

i use either a little dot 3 or a xenos h3a. i still consider the d2000 superior, especially in lower bass notes, the denon superiority comes out mostly in highly compressed heavy bass songs. otherwise the dx3 has better detail

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use either a little dot 3 or a xenos h3a. i still consider the d2000 superior, especially in lower bass notes, the denon superiority comes out mostly in highly compressed heavy bass songs. otherwise the dx3 has better detail

Hmm, D2000s had nice detailed bass but I felt they lacked elsewhere so these DX3s might be my next purchase, between them and the much more expensive SA5Ks right now. I'm still burning my HARX700s in, I have about 400 hours planned.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #20 of 51
Well it seems the trend is to go with the DX3's first so I think that's what I'll end up doing...I really wanna try the denons, but at 2X the price of the DX3's it's almost not worth it at this point in time for me. Too bad there wasn't more about the new Shure's as I'd like to hear how they do, but again soundstage is important for gaming...and if JVC HA-DX3 > Denon AH-D2000 > Shure SRH840 soundstage-wise, then I think the DX3's will treat me the best. Now if I can snag em for a similar deal to what ourfpshero got em for!
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone that's posted thus far, I haven't made a set decision yet, as I'm giving myself time to make sure I make the RIGHT decision, so please keep the info coming! I really appreciate it thus far!

beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #21 of 51
Hey ourfpshero (or anyone else that can do this and would like to...), any way I could ask ya to do a side-by-side picture of the 700's and DX3's so I can get an idea of size difference? To me it appears the cans are smaller on the DX3's, but the padding is way thicker. And if you're feeling fiesty maybe a D2000 vs HA-DX3 shot too (not necessary tho!
biggrin.gif
). If ya can get some time to, not a big deal, but I'd like to see a decent shot of the jvc's side by side to kind of get an idea of proportions and like I said size difference. I'm feeling a tug to snag a set of DX3's, just not quite ready to buy yet...

beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #22 of 51
ask and ye shall receive

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #23 of 51
Sweet! Thank you very much!

It does appear the cup on the 700 is much deeper overall, but a little smaller in overall diameter..though it's hard to tell, but the padding on the 700 appears to be thicker too. And on the 700's I can notice a slight amount of pressure on my upper ear from it contacting the plastic inside the padding. But the denons also look about the same size cup-wise to the DX3's. The 700's are pretty comfy overall, but I have heard the DX3's are more comfortable, probably due to the earpad material.

Nice shots man, thanks again!

Hmm..decisions...decisions...
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #24 of 51
the dx3 is definately more comfortable than the rx700. cloth pads and cloth screen with felt underneath where your ear might touch

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #25 of 51
Is it the same kind of felt the 700/900 have?

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does appear the cup on the 700 is much deeper overall, but a little smaller in overall diameter..though it's hard to tell, but the padding on the 700 appears to be thicker too.

FWIR the pads on the RX700 are not that thick, and so the cup is not that deep. Ears may press against the inside and this may be uncomfortable. The pads on the RX900 are thicker. I own the RX900, very comfy, even though my ears barely touch the inside.

If I buy the RX700, I probably will want to use it with the RX900 pads. There probably is a way to mod these pads so they are more plump without adversely affecting the sound.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #27 of 51
They're not that bad really, but they could use a little more padding though...usually about the time my ears get warm, they're also getting sore from contacting the inside of the cup. But from those pictures it looks like the overall cup size is larger than the dx3, not saying that makes any difference here as i don't really know...but that isn't actually a bad thing to me as I'm still really thinking of purchasing them at this point.

I think as a mod some guy used some of the air tube for a fish tank under the inside of the pad around the perimeter so it kind of pushed the whole padding out, I've considered trying this but I keep forgetting to pick some up to try it out and see what happens lol. I still really enjoy the 700's at this point though, for the money they're definately worth it imo.

I am curious if the DX3 has the same kind of felt ring the RX700/900 series have...ourfpshero mentioned felt on the DX3's...I can only assume it's something similar at this point, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to order a set and find out for myself because they're just so damn appealing at this point!
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #28 of 51
the dx3 has a large felt circle covering- not a ring with a hole in the center. i havent tried removing it yet

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #29 of 51
Well from how you made it sound, seems there's not too much reason to remove it. Especially if it adds to comfort, yet the bass (with eq/am), and crisp mids and hi's are still there. Now I just gotta find a damn good deal on a set! I might pay $100-110, but I might wait till I can find a set for less.

beerchug.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not that bad really, but they could use a little more padding though...usually about the time my ears get warm, they're also getting sore from contacting the inside of the cup. But from those pictures it looks like the overall cup size is larger than the dx3, not saying that makes any difference here as i don't really know...but that isn't actually a bad thing to me as I'm still really thinking of purchasing them at this point.

I think as a mod some guy used some of the air tube for a fish tank under the inside of the pad around the perimeter so it kind of pushed the whole padding out, I've considered trying this but I keep forgetting to pick some up to try it out and see what happens lol. I still really enjoy the 700's at this point though, for the money they're definately worth it imo.

I tried the tubing and results weren't anything much so I played around with different 'stuffing' material, came across a sheet of foam, cut that out, worked just superb.. I'll post my results and mod in a new topic thread shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back