Upgrade Path from JVC HA-RX700, Gaming & Rock
Aug 7, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #46 of 51
I'll look into the pink noise and low frequency sweep and see what happens on the DX3's, they're a good set of HP's for sure, but I think they'd be better valued at the RX900's price-range. Sure they have metal cups and sound decent, I'm just not that impressed with them yet. But I do like the comfort level still, but on that note the cloth padding leaks a ton more sound than the RX700's do. Though Isolation is a bit better on the DX3's.

I'll definately look into that 2nd RX700 Graphicism mod, frankly I have plenty of punch from the forte and some EQ-ing, like I said before I can crank more bass than I can stand out of the 700's...where-as the DX3's will start to distort, so I'm sure they need more play time at this point, I usually just listen to music and play games, or run music while I'm not around for break-in, but I think I'll try what you suggested and see what happens...I hope the DX3's really start to wake up soon. They're good overall though. Maybe I could mod the RX700 drivers in there...that would probably be a waste of time though lol.

beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #48 of 51
kurash, u made me use my dx3 some more. i get a ton of bass. to be fair i'm using some decently strong amps. the rx700 is definately easier to drive and get a ton of bass from. the dx1 probably has the best bass impact but not as much boom as the rx700. the dx3 has very smooth and deep bass.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #49 of 51
Yes the DX3's bass is smooth and deep, I'll give it that, but the mids and treble seem to be overpowering in comparison, at least to me. I'm somewhat of a bass head too, and going between the RX700 and DX3, it seems to me like the DX3's are more mellow on the bass factor, there's not much for punch or impact in comparison to the 700's. Not saying there's no bass, it does take more EQ-ing and boost to achieve what I feel is closer to par with the rest of the sound spectrum I'm hearing.

It could be the forte is dissapointing here, if it's the case...oh well. I'm still enjoying listening to them, but I do find myself grabbing the 700's almost 90% of the time still. I do gotta say the 700's are more enjoyable for my kind of music, listening to Korn, NiN, Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, etc all sounds great on both, and while the DX3's seem to pull detail out the 700's can't, the 700's just sound more enjoyable and were easier to adjust for the sound I wanted out of them. Both are good headphones, but at this point I still don't feel the DX3's were worth the price, but I can only blame the RX700's for that...it'd probably be a different story had I dived into the DX3's and never touched the 700's.

beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #50 of 51
Congratulations, Kursah! Finding a set of phones that rings your proverbial bell isn't always easy. And it definitely isn't always cheap (as I'm finding out).

I came at it from the other direction. I started with the bass-heavy RX900. Went to the other extreme with the treble-hot DX1 and seem to be finding a degree of bliss with the DX3. Clearly a case of "To each, his own!"

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #51 of 51
How much of a difference does using an amp with the the rx700 make?

I really like my rx700s, but I'm wondering if there's anything _significantly_ better for $300 used that sounds somewhat similiar or if I'd be better off getting an amp? I'm hoping neither would be that much better so I can save myself money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back