Upgrade path for 2023?
Dec 24, 2022 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pk4425

1000+ Head-Fier
Curious what everyone's upgrade paths look like for 2023. I'm debating a few options, as I sold a few headphones this year due to knowing my tastes better than ever and am down to just the Audeze LCD-X 2021 and Sennheiser HD 6XX, driven by a JDS Labs Atom+ stack.

My preferred genres are rock, classic rock, alt-country and hard bop and piano jazz.

Options:

1. Buy another kilobuck headphone, perhaps closed back. Looking closely at ZMF Aeolus as warm, relaxed chill can. Wondering if it will be too close to LCD-X or HD 6XX in signature to justify $1,000+ expense, though. Also considering used MM-500, but will that be just a small upgrade to LCD-X 2021?

2. Buy a headphone between $500 and $1,000, perhaps boutique. Definitely have my eye on Meze 109 Pro, but again, I wonder how much different it is to the LCD-X 2021 or if it's that much better. The Aurorus Borealis intrigue the hell out of me. Love the concept of supporting a boutique manufacturer.

3. Improve existing gear, especially source chain. Already all but sold at buying ZMF pads for my HD 6XX to reinvigorate those. But also considering an upgrade in fidelity and power for my Atom+ stack. Would like to stay at $500 or less for new stack. Have no clue what that next step would be, so I appreciate any and all advice.

4. Try the Grado sound. I demoed the 325x in August at a shop in Seattle and was surprised how much I enjoyed them. Comfort is a question, though, because I’m not big on on-ear cans.

5. Buy some cheap IEMs and sit still and enjoy the music. There's also a small part of me that just says get Truthear Hexa and Salnotes Zero as cheap but good IEMs to satisfy my closed-back needs, and then just sit pat for a few months and enjoy the music. Yeah, I know: Fat chance!

Appreciate any and all advice here. Would love to also read about your upgrade plans for 2023!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 12
I Imagine a modest or uneventful year for me. Also, Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

1. Not buy another headphone unless Sennheiser or Koss releases something new. Seriously. I am pretty content with what I have right now; also, only a few headphones interest me right now. When the hype started, I was really close to buying the Salnotes Zero to try it out. However for headphones, I have a feeling that Koss is going to release something that will be worth it for me to just blind buy it.

2. Trying the 6XX Counterweight mod. Almost all the people who have tried this mod advocates for it. I am quite skeptical of it but I might try it out. I'll have to read other forums and websites to look at other impressions and graphs.

3. Upgrade earbuds. I use earbuds sometimes for sleeping. Right now, the left channel of my earbud is buzzing. Also, I would like to upgrade from the Iris 2.0 to maybe something with a detachable cable.

4. Buying a subwoofer and/or a proper stand for my speakers. I don't really like bass and I am content with the reported 50 kHz - 20,000 kHz range that is rated for my speakers. I have tried EQ-ing the sub-bass and it seems to increase it (not that I want to, so the bass is almost stock). The speakers are on angled foam pieces and I would like to either angle them more or lift them higher to ear-level.

5. Potentially trying out Roon. I might activate the trial to see what it is all about. Currently using Foobar and content with it. I would like a player/streamer that recommends me similar artists because I found artists years ago that I enjoy through Spotify's recommendations.

6. Maybe try the Grado sound. I know there is a cult following for this brand, and also a group of people who hates them. Some people like the 325X over the 6XX. I might want to try an entry level Grado just to see what it is all about.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 12
5. Potentially trying out Roon. I might activate the trial to see what it is all about. Currently using Foobar and content with it. I would like a player/streamer that recommends me similar artists because I found artists years ago that I enjoy through Spotify's recommendations.

6. Maybe try the Grado sound. I know there is a cult following for this brand, and also a group of people who hates them. Some people like the 325X over the 6XX. I might want to try an entry level Grado just to see what it is all about.
I'm also going to give Roon a free trial over the holiday season. The metadata and parametric EQ attract me, as I like to run Wasapi exclusive with Qobuz. Roon allows full parametric EQ easily with Wasapi exclusive, while APO for Windows does not.

You also described my interest in Grado perfectly. I tried Grado for the first time last August at a shop in Seattle. I expected my ears to be julienned by treble when I slipped on the SR325x. I was pleasantly surprised by the sonic balance and how much I liked the signature of the 325x. Long-term comfort of on-ears still is a question, though.

I also tried the SR80 and was totally underwhelmed compared to the 325x. They sounded like a $100 headphone. Nothing memorable or special at all, which also surprised me since many people say the SR80 gets you pretty close to the "Grado sound" at a low price. Well, to my ears and brain, the $300 325x were about 10 times better than the 80s, not three times better.

Dec 25, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 12
Looking closely at ZMF Aeolus as warm, relaxed chill can.
Sorry to say you're not going to get ROI on the Aeolus out of your current amp. ZMFs are not too difficult to drive, but to get the best out of the Aeolus (and 6xx) you will want to investigate a decent tube amp.

This thread has lots of great amping ideas
Thinking about the Grado.... you could try the "bowl style pads" perhaps.
I also cannot stand on ear headphones and bowl pads seemed like the ideal solution, but for me, those pads changed the sound of Grados too much.
You might look into an old AKG K240 sextett, which do what Grados do, but better and without the comfort issues. Unfortunately again, you will need a more powerful amp for the Sextetts, which are 600 ohms and a low 90s sensitivity.
I'm also going to give Roon a free trial over the holiday season.
As someone who resisted Roon for years, I can honestly say that Roon is an absolute game changer and worth every penny.

Dec 25, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 12
I. Like always a good source. Maybe a nice DDC with external clock output. When you want to upgrade down the road.

As for me this are my upgrade path that I S coming year:

- Upgrade my FO Network when ER2 comes. Or when Innuos will offer PhoenixNet with FO connectionor or similar.
- Upgrade HP to Focal 2022 / ZMF Caldera.. Or the new Yamaha when reviews comes in.
- Upgrade my Roon subscription. Have better SQ than JRiver. Bummer only it does not offer folder views.
- Upgrade the processor of my Lenovo P360 Ultra when i9-13900T comes.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Curious what everyone's upgrade paths look like for 2023. I'm debating a few options, as I sold a few headphones this year due to knowing my tastes better than ever and am down to just the Audeze LCD-X 2021 and Sennheiser HD 6XX, driven by a JDS Labs Atom+ stack.

My preferred genres are rock, classic rock, alt-country and hard bop and piano jazz.

On the surface our musical tastes are very similar. Due to the nature of jazz, especially piano, and the dynamics of hard bop, good sources are vital. I really don't know what to recommend since I don't use desktop gear much but I would say a killer DAC even with your existing headphones is going to make the biggest difference. I agree with @Monsterzero regarding needing more amp even for the Sennheisers though. Personally I don't like combo (dacamp) setups but I do have a few for various reasons.

The LCD-3F is incredible but the more resolving headphones you get the more you'll hear the shortcomings of your DAC and sources. Given the LCD-X has the chops and is not hard to drive, I would think upgrading the DAC is the cheapest/fastest road to happiness without reworking the whole setup.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 12
How about an amp. There's a Monolith Cavalli Liquid Amp in the classifieds w/c costs $325

Dec 27, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 12
Mega. Thanks for all the advice. Any tips on a better DAC? I would like to stay around $300 or less new or used, considering I paid $75 used for the Atom+.
Good DACs that your LCD-X deserves are going to start at around 1,000 USD. The RME ADI-2 DAC FS would be a great choice if you like to turn knobs and play with EQ.

I'm sorry that I don't know what else to suggest offhand since I mostly don't use desktop gear these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back