Upgrade over Westone 2 IEMs, $300 budget
Jun 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Bum Rush

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm so close to finding the perfect product and never visiting this cursed site again (well, the IEM section at least
biggrin.gif
). I really like my Westone 2s a lot, but there are a few things that could be improved upon. This is going to be a rather long post, but please try to read it all and help me out.

Things about the Westone 2s that I like:
- Reflects what's on the recording (only booming bass in rap, only a large soundstage in classical)
- Can play all of my favorite genres well (which are rock, electronic, video game, classical, jazz, R&B, hip-hop, and rap)
- Entire frequency range is really balanced (bass, mids, and treble are all equally present)
- Bass is smooth/tight (no bumps); mids aren't recessed
- Soundstage can become rather large and airy with good width/depth
- Clear, detailed, transparent sound with great separation, dynamics, and fast
- Still manages to be musical even with all these traits
- Very little sibilance and hiss
- Great build quality. Small, comfortable, and microphonics-free

Things that I want improved:
- Better sub-bass (I had to turn up the volume to hear 20 Hz with these)
- Airier/better extended treble. I want things like cymbals to stand out a little more and sound more realistic. I want to hear them crash.
- Even better imaging (overall the imaging was pretty good, but sometimes it was blurry)
- More liquid texture (particularly instrument texture)

Hopefully I'm not asking for too much for my budget ($300). Please help me find my perfect IEM and free me from this Head-Fi bug!

Edit: clarified a few things

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 22
Isn't detail supposed to be good. haha

Anyways, any high end iem will prolly be as or even more detailed then the w2s ur using.

And since u liked w2s maybe you might want to take a look at um3x, they have a more impactful bass but I'm not sure about their soundstage vs the w2

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
Isn't detail supposed to be good. haha

Anyways, any high end iem will prolly be as or even more detailed then the w2s ur using.

And since u liked w2s maybe you might want to take a look at um3x, they have a more impactful bass but I'm not sure about their soundstage vs the w2

Yes, true, I do like how revealing the W2s are sometimes. I guess detail can be a double-edged sword. Gonna edit that part out.

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum Rush /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I really like my Westone 2s a lot,

Next progression would logically be the three's..
moz-screenshot.png

Quote:
- Bass didn't extend as deep as I would've like (I couldn't really hear 20 Hz)
- A bit too detailed: poorer recorded music doesn't sound as good, and hearing the audience in orchestral recordings was annoying
- Imaging was a bit blurry sometimes (but overall still very good)

Bass you can adjust with an equalizer.  If the audience is on the tape, you want your earphones to filter them out?

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 22
^ not really. Although I haven't heard the Westone 2 every review or impressions on them by people I trust tell me that they are fairly neutral while the Westone 3 are more of a fun iem than neutral.

Also you can't really blame your earphones for being revealing can you? You should get better quality files unless it is the recording itself.

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 22
@Sumflow
Not necessarily. Being the next release in the series doesn't mean it's definitely better. The W3 doesn't improve over the W2 in all the ways that I want. FWIR the W3 has recessed mids, and no real improvement in treble. I don't want a larger soundstage either, I find the W2's soundstage perfect.

@rawrster
Nope, I can't. Sometimes I actually do like how revealing the W2s can be too, so I edited that part out.

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 22
Why would you not want your phone to be detailed? Not saying it has to have an emphasis but who likes the veil over their music? Meh. I had the UM3Xs and loved the full bodied yet detailed sound they gave me. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 22
Hey hey, I thought I settled this whole thing about details. It was a mistake to say that 
bigsmile_face.gif

Looks like the UM3X is getting a lot of recommendations. But isn't the soundstage significantly smaller? Can anyone compare them to the W2?

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 22
E_Q7, FX700(highely recommend for above Genres, bass and treble), Radius DDM, MTP Copper(highely recommended)and UM3x...........

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Hey hey, I thought I settled this whole thing about details. It was a mistake to say that 
bigsmile_face.gif

Looks like the UM3X is getting a lot of recommendations. But isn't the soundstage significantly smaller? Can anyone compare them to the W2?

Yes, significantly smaller...almost congested due to it being a monitor...BUT, UM3X still has the greatest instrument separation of any IEM I have heard.  It is the most unique attribute of UM3X.  W2 is more open sounding, more fun.  UM3X is for listening to the players and isolating on certain instruments, really picking apart the music.  W2 is for "listening to the music."

Treble:  W2 slightly more detailed.
Midrange:  UM3X slightly more forward but both are excellent.
Bass: UM3X is slightly more in qty but both are tight and detailed.
Soundstage:  W2 is larger but UM3X kills it in instrument separation.

UM3X is slightly "dull" sounding IMHO and pretty neutral but very refined, controlled and professional sounding.  It is clearly the ultimate "musicians monitor."

W2 much better for pleasure listening.  (Not to say people don't enjoy UM3X for pleasure listening.  I did for almost 6 months
regular_smile .gif
)

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Yeah, agree with Zarim:  the Ortofon e-q7, Radius DDM work best. Also FX700 are great, but a bit more expensive the  Ortos and twice more then the Radius DDMs.

I don't know how much is Ortos but you can get fx700 for approximately $260 in amazon japan.I bought mine from there and sent it by package forwarding service just $21 only. It's already at custom. I think I probably get it tomorrow. OP, if you are interested, I let you know how well package is taken care of by amazon/tenso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back